What Is a Project Manager Job Description?
The project manager job description is a document that clearly states the manager’s duties and responsibilities, qualifications, and skills. As stated by SHRM, the job description is an essential document in human resource management. This document is a good communication tool between the company and the applicants.
How to Write a Project Manager Job Description
Writing the job description should include the essential details to avoid confusion and misunderstanding between the hiring company and the applicant. You can also find sample job descriptions on our site. To give you insights on how to properly write a job description, we have outlined below some few reliable tips.
1. Know Your Requirements
As you write your job description, make sure that you know your requirements in qualifications and skills, especially that there are entry-level and experienced applicants. You can set a meeting with your senior management to determine your requirements as this will provide ideas to the applicant and will be used throughout your hiring process.
2. Write a Job Summary
The job summary tells a story to the applicant on why you need such a position in your organization. You can also introduce your company, including your products and services in the job summary to connect with your need for the position.
3. List the Duties and Responsibilities
Use bullet points in this section. When writing the manager’s duties and responsibilities, you should use action words and include your expectations from the employee. Each duty and responsibility should be concise and direct to the point.
4. Include Your Required Qualifications
After stating the duties and responsibilities, include your specific qualifications. For instance, in construction project management, your project manager’s qualifications should be the following:
- Bachelor’s degree holder of construction management, engineering, and other similar college degree
- With 5 to 7 years of experience in construction management or other similar fields
- Proficient in computer applications
- Highly knowledgeable in construction management, engineering, and architecture principles
- Strong leadership and management skills
5. Review Your Job Description
To ensure that your job description has no typographical errors, intricate sentences, or any mistakes, you should proofread it at least twice. Keep in mind that any mistake in this document may confuse the applicants.
1. What is the purpose of a project manager?
The project manager plays a major role in project management. This employee is responsible for designing, planning, executing, controlling, and closing projects.
2. What is the purpose of a job description?
The purpose of the job description is to set a standard in qualifications and to outline the primary duties and responsibilities of the employee. This document is commonly used for internal purposes and during job advertisements.
3. Should I include job description in my job postings?
Yes. It would be an advantage for both the hiring company and applicant. When including job description in job postings, the hiring company can ensure that their applicants are the right people to fill the vacant position since these applicants pursue their application knowing that they are qualified for the job.
4. Where can I download job description templates?
Our site offers ready-made job description templates. Just search for the specific keyword and various templates will show up for your selection.
5. What are the details that should be included in the job description?
The basic information that you should include in your job description are the following:
- Job Title
- Job Summary
- Duties and Responsibilities