All free and discounted things in life are good. And the best physical way to share is through coupons. Coupons come in all shapes, sizes, colors and most importantly, purposes. Discounts and freebies in business get a little trickier without these. And in creating this wonderful helper, what another way than the Microsoft Word right? After all, this is one of the most used tools since the rise of computers. It is the most simplified tool one can use to get the job done.
Elements of a Good Coupon
How does one get to say that a coupon is good? Or better yet, how will a coupon serve its definite purpose? The next explanatory paragraphs that follow will provide you with four things to take note of when making a great coupon.
1. Font Size and Caps: Anything with significant importance information-wise must be given more emphasis. It will help in avoiding any possible misunderstanding and depending on the words being emphasized, it will draw more attention and interest from people. For example, if the words about the specifics in getting the discount are barely visible, that coupon might lose its use since not all can avail of the said discount.
2. Size: The size of a coupon matters because a coupon too small will limit the size of the written details within it. And since important pieces of information cannot be read, it will create issues. If the coupon is too big, people might not be too fond of handling it.
3. Colors: The color of the card must never overshadow the font’s color. One would want the contents of the coupon to be visible. This is all to make things easier to read. The color must also be relevant or compatible with the message the coupon wants to relay. Colors should support the whole point of making it. Colors clashing can also be distracting to the eye and would dissuade its usage.
4. Use of Pictures or Graphics: These are very effective in catching people’s eyes but too much always turn to bad. Too many pictures or graphics will distract the reader from getting the message through, visually and mentally. The eyes can only take what comes as appealing. One must also make sure that images used are relevant to their desired theme, event or business matters.
10+ Coupon Templates in Word
Pizza Coupon Template
Royal Resort Coupon Example
Birthday Coupon Template
Massage Coupon Design
Wedding Planners Coupon Template
Business Discount Coupon Template
Babysitting Coupon Design
Gift Coupon Template
Drink Coupon Example
Shopping Discount Coupon Template
Making a Great Coupon
The information that one must put into mind in making a coupon has already been provided earlier on. This part will sum up all of the things necessary to be done in order to make an effective coupon.
1. Make the size of a coupon just enough to cover the essentials: Being small is key when it comes to a coupon. The standard size of a coupon is 3 x 8 inches. anything that goes just a little bit smaller or bigger can work too. It will not be a bother to bring along and it is not easy to lose.
2. Choose colors wisely and creatively: Colors chosen must be relevant to its usage be it a discount coupon for shopping, an event-related discount, or coupon used for giving free stuff on an anniversary. Keep in mind to use harmonizing colors that will accentuate the font’s color. Avoid using a mix of colors that can be a pain to look at.
3. Write in a formal, neat and concise format: This had always been an absolute must. Organizing the small details can greatly help the coupon draw focus on the important parts. After all, a message that is clear is what one aims to have when making a good coupon.
4. Add a few graphics: Graphics or pictures are really useful for catching attention and simplifying explanations on what the promo is all about. At times, a good coupon contains a few words and a good background of pictures, letting one know the entire story of this coupon’s sudden emergence. And one must also consider relevance to business, events or holidays.
5. Adjust font features. As for the size of the font, use a size that is big enough to be read and that will still fit comfortably in people’s pockets. Simplify while emphasizing through the use of bold, italics, or the appropriate font. If there is a need for graphics, keep it minimal and use relevant images. After all, people commonly coin this saying: “Less is more, more is less.”
Types of Coupons
- Complimentary: These are the types of coupons that are used to give free services or freebies. These are most likely given before or timely on an event or holidays.
- Discount: These are the type of coupons that are existent within business matters. They give discounts on any service, meals, groceries and etc.
- Reserve: These are coupons that are provided to give the customer exclusive availability of services or products beforehand. This is usually used for ticket designs, bidding, automobiles, and/or high-end products.
- E-coupons: Non-physical type of coupons provided on mobile.
- Promotional coupons: These are the types of coupons normally chipped or taken off of magazines and newspapers. It solely exists for promotional purposes. It works only in the event that the customer gets to comply with what is needed for the said discounts, free services, or free products to be availed.\
Coupon Template Sizes
The coupons are shaped according to the maker’s preference but we’ll designate them into three sizes. Minimal, Standard and Free-range.
- Minimal: Minimal coupons need no further explanation. It is the size wherein one can see the contents all minimized just enough for bare reading. Comes in the shape of either a square or a vertically lined rectangle. Smallest size usually used is on 2-1/16″x 3″.
- Standard: The standard size is 2.5″x 6″ – 3 x 8 inches. This is a decent size for generic coupons.
- Free-range: Next are those under the free-range. These are those types that go beyond the usual shape of a voucher. They are usually the same size as a banknote
There are those that are unnatural in shapes but still hold the purpose of a voucher or coupon. These still fall on free-range. These are rarely used though. But in choosing a size, what matters most is that the coupon made is effective and ideal for its type.
What are the types of materials usually used for coupons?
Anything goes when making a coupon. However, durable and/or thick writing materials are often used or preferred. Others would also want scented or glossy stationery just to give coupons a little bit of a class.
What size is good for making a coupon?
Coupons that are easy to be stocked in wallets, and can be taken and handled easily by hands are the best kind for users. These are all possibly done if makers stick as close to the standard size. Those near to business calling cards are still decent but it is always preferable to have the size near a buck.
How does a promotional coupon differ from discount coupon?
Promotional coupons give out discounts like the discount coupons. The catch is that a promotional coupon prompts one to abide by certain requirements in order to get the discount. For example, a coupon states that you have a 50% discount on the second item you buy on selected items. So this only means you can’t have this discount unless you buy one item from the selected items. On the other hand, the discount coupon will give out the discount with no conditions. Also, the former type does not only give out discounts. It can also give freebies or services with terms, conditions or agreements.