In this era of large corporations and complicated systems, a situation analysis is one of the most important kinds of Business Analysis reports you can draft. In such an analysis, you will take the whole picture into consideration. You will identify internal strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats, be it internally or externally. There is a lot of ground to cover.
To help you figure out where to start, take a look at these sample situation analyses. Many of them will be helpful for any corporate assessment or project management process. Download them for free as either PDF files, Word documents, or Excel files you can modify.
Marketing Situation Analysis Template
Company Situation Analysis Template
Health Situation Analysis Template
Business Situation Analysis Template
Current Situation Analysis Template
What Is Situation Analysis?
This is the analysis of the current standing of the system under study. For our example, let’s take a company. The most common types of analysis you can expect in this case is either a SWOT Analysis or a Market Analysis, each with their own obvious benefits.
A SWOT analysis will help you survey the corporate landscape and identify these elements:
- Strengths. What are you doing right and what are your competitive advantages? This is internal inspection.
- Weaknesses. Where are the areas you need to improve? What are the unavoidable limitations you have to work around or mitigate? Also internal.
- Opportunities. Are there any areas you have not fully considered or leveraged to your advantage? Only a full-scale analysis of your operations can bring up opportunities in places you never thought to look. This could be internal opportunities or external, found outside your operations that you can work with.
- Threats. Where are the risks in your operations? The weakest links in your security system? Is the market shifting, trends turning away? All this has to come into consideration. This could be internal or external.
Different Situation Analyses for Different Situations
So which of these samples do you turn to first?
- If you are looking over the status of your sales strategies, consider the points you can glean from the Advertising Situation Analysis and Marketing Situation Analysis Template.
- Use the Situation Analysis Template in Excel for a customizable, organized set of factors to check through for a general-purpose analysis.
- Trying to figure your way out of a crisis? The Current Situation Analysis Template and Business Situation Analysis Template should help you think about what’s most important.
- Surveying the larger field which your company seeks to serve? This is an example of opportunity/threat analysis. See Health Situation Analysis Template for an example for health care providers.
To get the most out of these tools, it would be wise to conduct a general situation analysis at least once every quarter.
Situation Analysis Template in Excel
Advertising Situation Analysis
Competitive Situation Analysis Template
Learning Situation Analysis Template
Project Situation Analysis Sample
How to Use These Templates
Download these templates as free reference points or as modifiable bases to work from directly. They are all for free, so make sure you use them to your advantage.
Remember that even if you were only assessing the internal workings of your company, you are already conducting a Competitive Analysis. Only companies that are “self-aware” can hope to beat its competitors.