Most companies require a doctor’s note in case of absences in work that are due to health-related concerns. It is the employees’ evidence that they definitely had an appointment with the doctor or physician. It is considered an official document to back up the sick leaves that the employee has filed. What’s written on the simple doctor’s note could be the diagnosis, the consultation notes, or the medicines that were prescribed to the employee.
If you are a doctor, you might want to enhance the templates for your notes. They should be able to provide you with all the necessary details for any kind of consultation that you would be doing for your patients. Also, since the doctor’s note can be used as an official document to support the excuse of missing work, it should also have a format that caters to these needs. Listed below are the templates of doctor’s note that we have collected from various reliable sources. Check them out and choose which work template suits your preference the best.
Sample Blank Printable Doctors Note for Missing Work Excuse
Sample Printable Doctor Note Ability to Work Template
Sample Printable Doc Note for Disability Template
Steps in Getting a Doctor’s Note for Work
Due to the stress caused by the heavy workload, some employees might not be able to perform their duties properly due to an illness. In a situation like this, the employee should secure a doctor’s note to submit to their human resource officer to have an official back up the claim of being sick. Know more of the guidelines in securing a doctor’s note below:
- Set an appointment with a licensed physician. If you have a family doctor or if you know a specialist that can conduct a medcial examination to you, set an appointment with him/her so you would be able to know your conditional. After the consultation, ask for a note from the doctor or specialist.
- Expressly ask for a doctor’s note. Some people skip the first step and abuse the next one. Some people use their personal connections to write them a doctor’s note even without consultation. So before asking for a doctor’s note, make sure that you had an official appointment with the doctor. Otherwise, that would be a case of malingering. If your HR officer finds out about this, you might be put under suspension or worse, termination of your employment. So, be honest with it even if you know the doctor personally.
- Check the content of the note. Once you receive the doctor’s note, read the content to know about your condition, the nature of the illness, the prescribed medicines, and other medical advice.
- Have an extra copy of the note. The doctor’s note is a supporting document for your leave application, so the copy that you give to the HR officer will never be returned back. Have an extra copy of the note so you would have a copy for yourself. Keeping track of your condition by keeping the doctor’s note.
The doctor’s note is attached to your leave application to serve as a supporting document for your absence.
Parts of a Doctor’s Note
For a doctor, you must ensure that all the necessary details are present in your note. On the patient’s side, you must review the content of the doctor’s note and ask if there are details that are unclear to you.
- Doctor’s details – Written on this is the doctor’s name, specialization, address, contact details, and all the appropriate licenses. Keenly observe the licenses as they are proof that the doctor that’s giving you a consultation is legitimate. If you are that cautious, you can call the office of the commission responsible for giving licenses to professionals and ask if the license number of your doctor exists in their official record.
- Patient’s details – In this part, the patient’s name, address, age, sex, and other medical records should be included. If you are the patient, make sure you review your personal details in case there are discrepancies.
- The doctor’s message – This is the part where the patient gets to review the doctor’s consultation details. Any of the patient’s medical condition is indicated here. If you are the patient, carefully review this part so you would be able to know the cause of your illness and ask the doctor for any unclear or confusing writing.
- Doctor’s certification – This is included to ensure that the patient was duly consulted and examined by the doctor on a particular date and location.
- Signatures – The doctor’s note won’t be considered valid if his/her signature isn’t affixed.
These are not the standard parts of a doctor’s note because it varies for each doctor’s needs. But you can use it as a reference if ever you need it.
Other Applications for a Doctor’s Note
Although the doctor’s note templates that are listed in this article are for work purposes, they can be edited to be used for other applications as well. Check out some of the applications here:
- For school. When you are sick and you are going to miss some classes and exams, you should write a formal letter to your class adviser stating that you are unable to attend school for a period of time. When you get back to your school. you should make another letter about your absence with the doctor’s note attached to serve as a supporting document.
- For sports. If you are feeling a bit under the weather, you should inform your coach about it. Sports requires your body to perform well and if you are sick, you should avoid any sports activities before your condition worsens. When you fully recover, make sure to present your doctor’s note to show that you were indeed sick.
- For family. For people who live far from their families, it sometimes put you in an anxious mood when one of your family members gets sick. You can ask the other family member for the condition of the one who’s sick, or you can ask for the doctor’s note and read the consultation note instead. The other family members can take a snapshot of the note and send it to via email or any online messaging platform.
- For health monitoring. You can keep a copy of the doctor’s note for yourself so you can monitor your condition. It’s important that you know your own body so you can assess your condition even for the minor cases.
Sample Printable Doctors Note for Legal Work Template
Blank Printable Doctor’s Excuse Slip Note for Work Template
Assess the Content of the Doctor’s Note
On the doctor’s side, you should review the details of the note to ensure that all the necessary ones are included. You can freely add more information as these templates are editable. On the patient’s side, review that details written on the doctor’s note so you would have an idea about your own condition. This is highly important since you are responsible for taking care of your body. If there are an illegible writings, ask for clarifications from the doctor or the clinic secretary.
We hope we have helped you in choosing the right template for your cost estimate. If you find this article helpful, please bookmark this page and share it with your peers in case they also need these templates. We wish you all the best in your endeavors and may your continue serve the those who are in need of your medical attention!