A formal outline follows a specific order in a way that it is able to structure information logically. A research project outline is considered a formal outline since exhaustive research is done in order to produce a comprehensive and informative outline.
Documents and other information that needs to be summarized well should be outlined properly be it in accordance with categories, chapters, steps, sequence, and more. A persuasive speech outline could be created by using formal outline templates that plot information and steps in a certain order made to be understood by its readers.
Formal Speech Outline Template
Blank Formal Speech Template Outline
Formal Essay Outline
Formal Report Outline
General Rules for Writing a Formal Outline
Even formal outlines vary depending on the topic. Take note of a brief discussion of general rules for writing a formal outline in this page.
Application of the following rules below make an ideal formal outline.
- Observe logical order. You cannot just write down all the information that you want in an outline. Always see to it that information are all of logical sense reflected in a sensible order. Take a look at sample research outline templates and see a pattern on how to simplify information accordingly.
- Always include proper headings. What makes the best guide in interpreting an outline is the heading in each sub-topic. Wrong headings could mislead your readers and extract the wrong information out of your outline. As seen in presentation outline templates, its headings suggest a comprehensive flow of ideas.
- Input parallel information. If you’ve started your outline in full sentences and paragraphs, it is only formal to have a consistent delivery of information in that way. If you’ve simplified your outline in phrases and words, do so all throughout your outline. Parallel presentation of information gives a neat and impressive outline.
These general rules are applicable in all sorts of outline for any topic. An outline format may vary but its content should be well-structured for better delivery.
Business Plan Outline Template
Basic Formal Outline
Standard Formal Outlining Format
Throughout the process of effective outlining, be sure you are headed in with a right track. Here’s what a standard outlining format includes:
- Outline Division – You could use either numbers or letters to properly label divisions of in your outline. These labels should be written beside sub-topics that are essential in writing an efficient outline. Outline templates in PDF file format are properly divided to highlight and emphasize relevant sub-topics.
- Indention – It may not seem to matter a lot but proper indention of outline items greatly affect the appearance and presentation of a final outline output. The same indention in a proposal outline template should be observed in any kind of outline as well.
- Punctuation – Aiming to write a formal outline is basically just about using correct punctuation for the overall content of your outline. Know when to separate and construct sentences with the right punctuation.
- Capitalization – Whether you’re writing in sentences or phrases, always observe proper capitalization. Just basic application of which would tell you when to capitalize proper nouns and words that the beginning of each sentence.
You could always review and polish a final copy of your outline with the inclusions of a standard formal outline provided for you above.