To begin with, a stencil is a type of template that is used to draw or paint patterns, shapes, numbers, letters, and even symbols. It is usually made with a thin sheet of material such as paper, plastic, wood, or metal with a series of cut-out sections that resemble any design and leave a reproduction of an image once paint or pigment is applied to it.Stencils can be used to create a design repeatedly and identically. They can be easily painted over any surface, which causes less hassle and is a cost effective way to decorate a wall, backdrop, or any material of your choice. Here are some printable stencil templates that you can choose form to help you and any design aspirant create a masterful piece of art.
51+ Print Templates in Word | PSD | InDesign | Apple Pages | Publisher | Illustrator -START DOWNLOADING
Free Printable Letter Stencils
Free Printable Tattoo Stencils
Free Printable Flower Stencils
Other Types of Stencils
Aside from the printable stencils that are presented on this page, there are other kinds of stencils that you can find and use.
- Precut. Precut stencils usually come in plastic, and once you have them, you are ready to apply paint. The patterns are created by talented stencil designers which allow all of us to become like them. The only drawback of precut stencils are the nonnegotiable sizes, so you have to make sure that the size fits your project area.
- Cut and paint. Unlike precut stencils, cutting out the openings where paint should be applied should be done by you. Although this seems to be extra work, it provides flexibility as you can choose not to cut some parts. The alphabet stencils￼ are good examples of this type.
- Photo stencils. A photo stencil is made by exposing the stencils to a film positive of an image. They are ideal for intricate images that would be difficult to accomplish with a hand-cut stencil. An example for this is silk-screen printing on fabrics.
Free Printable Pumpkin Stencils
Free Printable Alphabet Stencils
Free Printable Bird Stencils
Free Printable Butterfly Stencils
Tips for Stenciling
Below are some tips on the different types of stencils, the paint to use, and stenciling on different kind of surfaces.
- Tidy up. Make sure that the wall or any surface you are using is clean before applying your stencil. Always keep a wet paper towel to clean up your project and remove paints from the brushes.
- Prep up. You may need to prepare the surface you are going to use to get the best result. Sand the surface of the wood with fine grit or wash the glass with warm, soapy water before starting.
- Make it stay. A painter’s tape or a temporary spray adhesive is a great way to attach the stencil to the surface and keep it in place. Just make sure you don’t use too much so it doesn’t get stuck to the surface.
- Use the right tools. As stenciling can be done on almost any surface, make sure you use the appropriate paints and brushes for each material. The size of your stencil should also be considered.
- Less is more. Apply less paint rather than more to avoid bleeding and secure a crisper stencil. Thin layers of paint give much cleaner results than thick layers.
Stencils can be a great way to make any creative design even if you are not much of a creative person. Depending on your design aesthetic, the printable stencils presented on this article features different styles for various artistic and design purposes. Take your pick and don’t forget to also check out our paint art stencils available on our website.