As an artist, you may find your work vulnerable to copyright infringements, plagiarism, and even theft nowadays; especially because of the accessibility of the Internet and other media. Therefore, certain basic terms, obligations, considerations, and conditions should always be presented, discussed, and agreed upon by the artist and representatives before engaging into a business relationship.
This article will help you find the perfect Agreement Template that will cover all of the specific details and arrangements of your pending business relationship. In cases where some details are not appropriately covered or mentioned, these templates will allow you to modify it according to the offers and opportunities desired and any conditions unique to the situation.
Producer Artist Agreement Template
Side Artist Agreement Template
Music Artist Agreement Template
Artist Management Agreement Template
Artist Performance Agreement Template
Why Should There Be an Agreement
- Confirmation. Having something in writing and signed by both parties are better than verbal agreements that end up in who-said-what arguments when one of the parties begins to question an aspect in the agreement.
- Protection. Because you’re entering into a formal business relationship, all ground rules should be put into writing. When a legal intervention becomes necessary in the future, you will have an actual document to serve as evidence.
- Assurance. A written and signed agreement promotes a successful and profitable arrangement. The distribution of artworks, as well as the appropriate compensation and profit sharing, should always be stipulated in the agreement.
If you are in need of a more specific type of agreement such as the Distribution Agreement Template to state the rights of the party who will distribute or resell the artist’s works or the Confidentiality Agreement Template to protect specific information such as trade secrets or intellectual properties, feel free to discover more on this website.
Artist Agent Agreement Template
Artist Licensing Agreement Template
Artist Consignment Agreement Template
Artist Residency Agreement Template
Artist Development Agreement Template
What Should an Agreement Consists Of
- Identifying details. Just like any agreeing parties, their personal detail and contact information should be clearly shown in the agreement together with the title or name of such business partnership.
- Time frame. The agreement should specify how long will the agreement be in effect or how long will the agency be representing your work. In some cases, an escape clause is included in case nothing sells after a certain period of time.
- Geographic exclusivity. The scope of representation by the other party should also be indicated in the agreement. It includes how much control do agencies have over your work and which geographical area are they allowed to sell.
- Percentage split. The full retail price of any artwork is usually split evenly between the artist and its representative. Agencies should be stopped from marking up the market value of your work and leaving you with a small percentage.
There are definitely other things that should be included in an artist agreement, but the ones above are just some of the most important ones. You can use other templates on this site for specific purposes just like the Commission Agreement Template.