A death certificate is a document certifying a person’s passing, documented by a medical practitioner and issued by the county coroner or another government office. This document provides full details about the deceased, including the date, location, and cause of the person’s death. Death certificates are sometimes used to fully understand the person’s cause of death for further study or to use as evidence to prove family members’ legitimacy to receive medical and life insurance benefits left behind by the deceased and to help address property succession issues.
In this article, we show you the different and most common death certificate templates for your perusal. We do advise you to refrain from using these as a substitute for government-issued documents as it is against the law.
Blank Death Certificate Template
Baby Death Certificate Template
Example of Pet Death Certificate Template
Printable Death Certificate Template
Types of Death Certificate Templates
There are a ton of templates for a Death Certificate in this article (and more on our website), and we explain when they are best used.
- Blank Death Certificate Template. This template is the most common format for death certificates Here, complete details about the deceased individual is presented. A medical practitioner completes this document. Depending on the nature of death, this certificate can be kept and stored by medical organizations and in police investigative case studies.
- Baby Death Certificate Templates. The issuance of this certificate differs in every area. Some hand out death certificates for stillborn babies while some do not, and some take into account the gestation period of the infant. Check your local legislation about their terms for issuance of baby death certificates.
- Pet Death Certificate Templates. Depending on the laws of your country or state, the death of any type of pet and the rights for a pet cemetery space will rely on the issuance of a pet death certificate and registration papers.
For more certificate templates, take a look at our Blank Certificate page to find more templates that are customizable and free to print and use anytime. We offer certificate templates that can be used in any type of organization or activity.
Death Certificate Template in Word
Modern Death Certificate Sample
Fillable Death Certificate Template
Free Death Certificate Sample
Why Death Certificates are Necessary
- For claiming life insurance. No matter the relationship you hold with the deceased person, even if you were named as the beneficiary, you will have to secure a government-issued death certificate to claim the benefits from a life insurance policy. Getting a death certificate issued by the government can be tedious and outrageously slow and may take years even to finalize. So claiming a death certificate as quickly as possible will help to make the claiming process smooth and fast.
For claiming pensions. To be entitled to the benefits from the pension of a spouse that has passed away, you will have to secure a death certificate. Along with other various items or documents that prove your relationship with the person—along with a meticulous review of the deceased individual’s last will and testament—and a copy with a death certificate, then only are you entitled to claim those benefits.
- To settle estate disputes. Properties like real estate can be a difficult item to claim by a spouse or family member once the owner has passed away. Documents like bank accounts and proof of the person’s last will and testament, plus several copies of the death certificate, are needed to settle and claim real estate.
For templates in Microsoft Word formats, do check out our Word Certificate page for more formal templates that are free and easy to edit and print.