WordPress supports almost all types of websites worldwide. This versatile platform has features that can be used in building websites and customizing themes easily and beautifully. However, it is not easy choosing a theme. It is a decision that greatly affects how your site will look like in the future. The look of the theme and the kind of content you want to publish always matters.
In connection to this, we have listed some of the factors that would help you decide which theme to use.
Things to consider when choosing a theme
Before choosing a theme, some things have to be taken into consideration. Some themes may not suit your taste, expectations, and business needs. Some themes may be too overwhelming. So, in choosing a theme, take note of these factors.
- Check the applications and connection. Check if your general applications like Adobe Photoshop are up to date if you plan on using a template for your site. Do not forget to also check your best Internet connection if it is stable. You cannot go on working with an unstable connection.
- Preferred design. Some of us have preferences when it comes to design. Every theme has its own unique design that captivates us. It ranges from clean and minimal to colorful and flashy. Whatever design you choose, make sure you like it.
- Budget. While some themes are free, the more beautifully designed ones are sold online. Consider your budget if you plan on buying a theme. Some are affordable and some are really expensive, but these also tend to be of the highest quality.
- Kind of content. Your theme depends on the kind of content you want to make. If it is a photography portfolio, go for a clean and minimal design. If it is for a news website, your theme should contain a lot of features. Your content is the key to finding better themes. Look at the samples of a photography portfolio theme and a news website theme below.
- Target audience. Along with your kind of content, your target audience also matters in your choice of best theme. Make sure that your audience will not have a hard time navigating your site in the future.
Choosing and handling a WordPress theme do’s and don’ts
Now, let us tackle the do’s and don’ts of choosing a WordPress theme. These things are important because the theme serves as your framework and background. Here are some of them:
- Do choose a good theme. This is the very basic thing. Choose a general theme that is comfortable for you to work with. Check the design if it suits your needs and the kind of content you want to showcase.
- Do experiment with colors. Most WordPress themes have multiple and unlimited color options in the theme customizer area. Do not be afraid to experiment with colors. You will find the perfect mix and shade after several tries and mistakes. Your theme will have a beauty of its own.
- Do aim for simplicity. No matter what basic theme it is, the simpler it looks, the better. The simplicity of the theme wins over those with a lot of features that clutter the screen.
- Do pick a responsive design. Since the Internet is accessible through mobile devices and desktops, choose a theme that is responsive on all device screens. By responsive, this means all the features and themes can be easily navigated on whatever device a site visitor is using.
- Do seek assistance and feedback. After designing the theme, always ask for assistance if some things do not work out and also get feedback on how the theme looks. This will give you more time to improve your theme and work on the overall look.
- Do a test run on the theme. After everything you have been through in designing your site, it is time to do a test run. Make sure it runs well.
- Do select a theme with complete documentation. Themes have documentation and support to back up their designs. Choose one that has complete documentation and a fast-responding support team.
- Don’t use copyrighted images. Avoid using copyrighted images. You will surely run into trouble with the owner of the images and delay your building of the website design. Ask permission if you want to use a copyrighted image. As much as possible, use your own images. That way, you can make your site more engaging and attractive.
- Don’t choose a theme with overcrowded features. Themes with too many features tend to be an eyesore. Your theme should have an ample amount of features that can be used when the need arises. Choose a professional theme that is easy to use in the first place.
- Don’t procrastinate. Design takes a lot of time, effort, and emotions. Sometimes, it is mentally draining but it is better to keep going. Do the improvements you can do today instead of pushing it to another day. It is better to finish early and relax. You may also see Best WordPress Themes
- Don’t leave your theme undone. Design needs a lot of patience. One mistake should not stop you from finishing your site. Do not leave it undone just because you do not like it anymore. Keep working on it until you get the perfect formula and look. Leaving a theme undone leads it to be forgotten over time. You may also like marketplace wordpress themes
- Don’t be afraid of criticism. You need other people’s opinions and suggestions in improving your simple theme. Be brave in taking constructive criticism and use them to your advantage. It will help you improve and modify your theme and make it better before it goes up on the web.
- Don’t steal. Make your own content. Do not steal other people’s work. It ruins your credibility and makes the owner of the original work feel violated.
- Don’t pick a theme with bad typography. The readability of the fonts matter when you choose a theme. Simple typography is better when it comes to theme selection. There is a wide variety of themes with beautiful fonts.
These are just some of the useful tips in choosing a theme. At the end of the day, whatever you decide on should make you happy and satisfied. So, choose the one with the design that best expresses your intention for your awesome website.