10+ Medical Certificate Templates
The employee’s incontrovertible right to obtain a number of paid leave of absences is guarded by law in every upright country. However, since illnesses can easily be fraudulently claimed by anyone, companies most often require one to submit a medical certificate, or the official authenticating document of someone’s state of health.
Medical certificates are formal proof of someone’s illness or fitness used in a variety of situations: like when validating someone’s employment, declaring a sick leave, or claiming a benefit from an insurance. The weight that it bears is the reason why despite its simplistic and standardized appearance, it follows a strict format and always needs a validation from a licensed physician. If you are a clinic administrator or a designer client tasked to come up with a medical certificate, this article shows the essential things you need to know.
Elements of a Good Medical Certificate
A regular medical certificate does not focus much on the design, but on the information. At all times, a medical certificate never misses to contain the following major elements:
- Hospital Details: Usually found at the topmost part of the medical certificate, the hospital details are the information regarding the hospital that includes its name, address, contact details, and logo. Most insurance companies only grant their benefit when an employee was under the care of their affiliate hospitals, so having these details on the certificate helps them determine if one can avail their service or not.
- Date: This pertains to the day or days that an employee had a physical check-up or was confined in the hospital. Companies make use of this information to cross-reference the dates of the sick leave filed by the employee.
- Patient’s Medical Information: This includes the patient’s personal information, such as name and date of birth, and medical information, such as body mass index and blood pressure. It is used by medical practitioners to obtain the basic details important for the diagnosis.
- Diagnosis: The diagnosis of a medical certificate pertains differently in each type. For a physical fitness type of medical certificate, diagnosis is the physician’s objective judgment whether the patient is physically fit or unfit. For a medical sickness type of certificate, the diagnosis is the patient’s cause of hospitalization and the set date by the physician when he or she can return for work.
- Physician’s Signature Line: The physician’s signature line is the authentication of a hospital medical certificate. It contains the name, specialization, and signature of the examining physician that serves as a proof that an employee has indeed undergone a medical procedure.
10+ Medical Certificate Templates
Medical Certificate for School
Medical Certificate Sample
Medical Certificate for Sick Leave
Medical Fitness Certificate Template
Medical Leave Certificate Example
Hospital Medical Certificate Template
Medical Membership Certificate
Dental Medical Certificate
Medical Certificate for Student
Medical Experience Certificate Template
Veteran Medical Certificate
Employment Medical Certificate
State Medical Certificate Sample
Student Medical Certificate
Medical Certificate Fill-Out Form
Steps to Make a Great Medical Certificate
- Choose a layout: Before you set up the text, determine the specifications of your medical certificate first. Decide if you are going with a landscape or portrait orientation. When you are putting in a lot of information such as blank checklists for medical examinations, go with a portrait orientation. However, if you are going with the type where you are just certifying a patient for physical fitness or honor their medical membership, go with a landscape orientation.
- Gather details: When you have decided on a style, gather information regarding the clinic that will be issuing the certificate as well as the names of the examining physicians. Also determine if you are inserting the logo or not.
- Choose your fonts carefully: A medical certificate usually only uses one font throughout. In cases when a medical certificate has two fonts, it is because the title text of “Medical Certificate” is usually set in a different font. With this limitation of fonts, emphasizing important parts of the certificate, such as the diagnosis, is made using a bold typeface.
- Lay out the text: Basically, your medical certificate consists of four main bodies of texts. Appearing respectively from top to bottom, they are: the hospital details, the text “Medical Certificate,” the body of certification, and the physician’s details. The body of certification is a big block of text that contains the patient’s personal information, the relevant date, and diagnosis.
Tips for a Great Medical Certificate
- Add in graphic designs only if you have space: Visual design is your least priority in a medical certificate. As long as the certificate contains the important elements, it should be fine with plain text only. However, for the sake of adding a marketing value to your certificate, embellishing your medical certificate should prove to be useful.
- Separate the medical checklist from the certificate itself: Some medical certificates include the long list of medical examinations that a patient has undergone. However, remember that the medical certificates are submitted to and read by employers who don’t need the information, for they only want the validity of the medical procedure itself.
Types of Medical Certificates
- Medical Leave Certificate: These are the medical certificates that supports the case of an employee regarding a sick leave. Medical leave certificates are primarily used when an employee has become sick, underwent surgery, delivered a baby, and other medical scenarios that warrant a hospital confinement.
- Certificate for Physical Fitness: These certificates gauges an employee’s fitness for work. In corporate setups, medical fitness certificates are one of the employment requirements for the employer to know if an individual is physically fit for work or has medical issues that need to be known.
- Medical Membership Certificate: These are certificates that serve as proof that a patient is under a certain medical membership. When a patient is under a medical membership, he or she only needs to pay a monthly or annual fee that provides access to various medical benefits, such as an unlimited visit to the designated physician and a more hands-on medical check-up.
Medical Certificate Template Sizes
Medical certificates are printed on documents with the following sizes:
- US Letter Size: 8.5 inches by 11 inches (Full), 8.5 inches by 5.5 inches (Half)
- US Legal Size: 8.5 inches by 14 inches (Full), 8.5 inches by 7 inches (Half)
- A4: 8.27 inches by 11.69 inches
Furthermore, medical certificates can either be horizontally oriented (landscape) or vertically oriented (portrait) depending on the type and the information it provides.
Medical Certificate FAQs
What details of the patient’s illness can be divulged in the medical certificate?
A patient has the right to privacy when it comes to his or her illness. Thus, a physician only needs to state the general diagnosis of the patient and can only cover certain aspects of the illness on the certificate that the patient agrees to do so. Nevertheless, the physician should only release the basic information that is enough to validate a sick leave.
Is it possible for an employer to dismiss a medical certificate?
Basically, an employer has no choice but to accept an employee’s medical certificate. However, an employer can conduct an investigation regarding the validity of the medical certificate. If found that the document was falsified, the employer can reject the said certification and can impose disciplinary actions to the errant.
Creating a medical certificate is pretty much basic, but this does not mean that you are already foregoing the basic elements of layout. Be mindful of the important information that you need to present, for a a good medical certificate offers these at one glance. If you need the best medical certificate ideas and examples, Template.net offers the widest selection to help you out. Feel free to customize one and you should be done in a snap.