Layoff or termination notices are letters sent towards employees or laborers whenever a certain business or company faces some issues on cost cutting or retrenchment. Reduction in employee quantity or pay can never be done without notice otherwise the company will be liable under labor or employment laws.
A prescribed notice format must likewise be observed when sending out layoff notices. The same goes with temporary layoff notice, employee layoff, and separation notice, which are all featured in this article. These notices must contain some essential elements as well in order to be proper and valid in character.
Temporary Layoff Notice Template
How to Write a Layoff Notice Letter
Sending a layoff notice letter is not among the most liked practices by human resource professionals or personnel managers. The letter contains a not-so-good news no matter how it is written.
However, despite its nature, a layoff notice letter must still comprise a number of important elements to make it formal and professional. Some of them are as follows:
- The letter must contain the valid and acceptable reasons why the management has come to the decision. These reasons, accordingly, must be based on valid criteria made known among employees.
- The letter must enumerate the benefits and other remunerations entitled to employees under consideration.
Types of Layoff Notice
Basically, there are two types of layoff notice and each is discussed further below:
- Temporary. Similar to a forced leave, an employee is requested to have some time off from his job for a day or more depending on the decision of the management. However, the notice must be clear and specific as to when an employee under forced leave will be returning back to work.
- Permanent. Similar to termination or forced resignation, in which an employee is requested to leave his post permanently due to a redundancy of work or bankruptcy of the company. For format research, you may click free notice templates and termination notice template.
Guidelines for Layoff Notices
Some guidelines are set forth before sending layoff notices to employees or individuals, and some are as follows:
- The notice must be issued by the proper management after exhausting all possible options supposedly to the benefits of employees. Check notice letter templates and notice to quit template for more information.
- It must be released few days or weeks before its effectivity and implementation so that respective employees will be given some time to send their response.
- It must be released for the purpose which is valid, actual, and reasonable especially for the employees concerned.
- It must be personally given or delivered to the employees involved, and some further explanation can be provided as well.
Layoff notices can become an opportunity as well to those who have been laid off as they may find another job or company that is far better than their current one. However, if they have the feeling of injustice, they can go to court or proper forum for relief or assistance.