Holding Statement is the brief announcement that is circulated in the form of an official document to hold the announcement of the full or the main statement. Mostly used in case of media announcement it is released to gather more information for the final statement. Here are some statement templates to help you understand more.
7+ Holding Statement Templates in Google Docs | PDF | Word
1. Media Holding Statement Template
2. Basic Holding Statement Template
3. Shareholder Holding Statement Template
4. Simple Holding Statement Template
5. Change Holding Statement Template
6. Sample Holding Statement Template
7. Printable Holding Statement Template
How to Draft a Holding Statement for Media in 5 Easy Steps?
In the wake of serious accidents or incidents, the PR department releases a holding statement to state the basic facts. These facts include some details of the incident and the initial stage of handling the process. For this statement you need to:
1. Appoint Expert to Draft the Media Holding Statement
1. For the delivery of the holding statement usually, an organization handles its PR officer who is an expert in documenting the statement or delivering to the media. But anyway the media will be reluctant to know about the whole issue from the decision-makers.
2. Conveying Emotions
1. Make the statement that contains emotions. You need to show concern or emotional attachment if there is any victim in the incident. Your idea should be keeping the media hooked and making them understand that you support the victims of the incident.
3. The Basic Facts
1. Do not stay ignored about the facts such as what happened, why did happen, who was involved, where it happened, when it happened. You have to answer all these basic questions in your holding statement. In case you are not ready with the facts you can always choose to say that you need permissions from the victim’s family.
4. Release the facts about the Firsthand Responders
1. Sometimes a situation might arise when the organization needs help or support from outside and other agencies or institutions. This can be government or any other organization. Make sure that you explain and mention facts about their involvement.
5. The Timeline for Next Address
1. Provide the time when you will release your next statement. You need to answer the questions of the next availability and who will be addressing the next holding statement release. This will make sure that you are not avoiding the media.
What are the Important Elements that a Holding Statement Should Contain?
- The heading of the fact for which you are releasing the statement.
- Mention the date and time releasing the holding statement.
- Mention the basic details that are confirmed and not vague.
- The actions that the organization is taking in which you want to make public and inform the media.
- Statement of Concern to show empathy.
- The Contact Details for the future updates on the progress of the situation.
What are the elements that You should not Include in the Holding Statement?
- Make sure that you do not include the details that are unsure or unconfirmed.
- Speculations or unassured detail should be avoided.
- Responses to rumors that do not have substantial proof.
- Names of the victims in case you are not allowed to reveal.
- You should avoid blaming or putting the charge of the incident at another party without confirmation.
Holding Statement vs Reactive Statement
As explained above, a holding statement in the form of an official document that is released before the main statement for the briefing procedure. Whereas a reactive statement is that form of an official statement that is published so that the main story does not reach the media. This is formulated to avoid any type of negative publicity unlike holding statements.
Why is Holding Statement Important?
Issuing a Holding statement prevents an organization from coming in the bad eye of the public or the media. These types of statements prevent the public from perceiving that the organization is shoving of the responsibilities. It is a very good method of crisis management. It also avoids media to write speculative comments. It is a method of controlling the media narrative.
In an ideal situation, you will be able to deliver all the information to the media and the journalists. But in reality, it is a bit impossible. You need to check before giving out all the information. That is why you prepare a holding statement so that you can give away only the legit facts and the information which are supposed to be exposed in the initial stage. Holding statements will also help you to keep the media engaged for the next update.