Technically, a storyboard is a document that serves as a compilation of frames that will be used for the proper planning and outlining of the shots for a production. Some of the productions where storyboards are used include those that are related to television, business presentations, movie, and literature. You may also see board templates.
The frames that you need to put together can include drawings, texts, and icon sequences. A basic storyboard template uses these items to assure that there will be a smooth flow of a story’s depiction. Use the downloadable storyboard templates in Word that are available in this post as your references in making an effective storyboard.
69+ Board Templates - Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word (DOC), Adobe Photoshop (PSD), Google Docs, Adobe InDesign (INDD & IDML), Apple (MAC) Pages, Microsoft Publisher, Adobe Illustrator (AI) - START DOWNLOADING
Video Storyboard Templates
Free Video Storyboard
Professional Video Storyboard
Storyboard for Short Film
How to Create a Storyboard Template Using Microsoft Word
There are different software that you can use in making your desired storyboard. If you want to use a Word document in formatting your storyboard, here are some steps that you may follow:
- Open a blank word document.
- Create a header which includes the title of the storyboard, the project where the storyboard will be used and other information that is necessary to be known by the people who will look at the document.
- Start creating the storyboard templates by using square and/or rectangular shapes which you can see in the feature selection in any MS Word software.
- Create boxes that can supply the thoughts that you would like to present in a step-by-step process, as an example, a wedding storyboard template should present either a particular wedding phase or it may also include the story from the wedding planning up to reception.
- Leave blank spaces at the bottom of each box so you can specify notes and other reminders regarding particular scenarios presented.
How to Create a Digital Storyboard Template
A digital storyboard is one of the storyboard examples that can already be made through the use of a variety of apps or websites. It can be in a form of a commercial storyboard template or it can also be used for personal advantages and benefits. Create your own digital storyboard template by following these steps:
- Know the medium that you will use in creating the digital storyboard and make sure that you will familiarize yourself with its features and functions.
- Gather images, texts, and other inspirations from different resources so you can collate them easier when you making the digital storyboard template.
- Start drafting the frames that you want to present and incorporate them in the site or medium where your digital storyboard will be curated. Import the items that you have saved and downloaded.
- Polish the entirety of the digital storyboard and add notes when necessary.
Printable Blank Storyboard Template
Blank Movie Storyboard
Rubric Animation Storyboard
2D Animation Storyboard
How to Create Storyboard Template Designs for Kids
A lot of storyboards are intended to present an outline of stories for kids. If your goal is to make an effective and appropriate storyboard for the age bracket of the kids who will serve as your viewers, here are the steps alongside a few guidelines that you may follow:
- You may look at existing simple storyboarding template samples so you can have an idea on how you can appropriately incorporate designs that are relevant to the attention span and interests of kids.
- Know the age bracket of the kids to whom the storyboard template design will be used. This will allow you to know even further how you can get the attention and participation of these children or pre-teens when creating a storyboard template design.
- Identify the purpose you need to create a storyboard template design. It can be in a form of a movie storyboard template for a short film where young students need to participate, it can also be about a story that will be turned into a children’s book, or even a depiction of the scenario that the kids should be familiarwith for an academic theater play.
- Once all the above mentioned items are already considered, you can now curate the graphical information that you need to incorporate and present in the boxes present in the storyboard template. Make sure that these items are easy to understand, colorful, attention-grabbing, and child-friendly.
- List a few items that the kids to be knowledgeable about on the bottom of the boxes so they can have a better idea of what the specific boxes represent and how they can incorporate them to their activities.
- Lastly, make sure to explain the entirety of the storyboard to the children and allow them to ask questions for clarifications.
Website Design Storyboard
TV Commercial Storyboard
Video Commercial Storyboard
How to Make a Video Storyboard Template
Video storyboards are commonly used by event video providers and other people involved in the documentation of special gatherings and celebrations. Create a video storyboard template by following these steps:
- Know the essential elements that you will work on, which includes:
- The purpose of the video that you will make
- The location where the video will be shot, or if there are already existing video resources
- The people and other items that should be presented in the video
- Develop a story by drawing inspiration from the above mentioned items and draft the special parts that you need to present.
- Layout the parts of the story in the storyboard and identify the requirements of each frame including the time duration of the frame’s expected exposure.
- Finish the layout by assuring that the continuity of the events presented in the video storyboard are complete and smoothly flowing.
Tips for Storyboard Template Creation
Some of the tips that you may incorporate in the creation of a storyboard template include the following:
- It is very important for you to make sure that you are knowledgeable of the nature of the storyboard that you will create. May it be a digital storyboard template, a website storyboard template or even business storyboard templates; what is essential is that you are aware of how you can fully maximize the usage of the storyboard that you are creating.
- Always be organized. A storyboard will only be fully functional if it can depict a chronological outline that you would like to present.
- Be familiar of the software where you will create the story board template. Whether what you will make are storyboard templates in PDF or Word, always maximize the usage of the software features so you can develop a comprehensive, easy to understand and highly-usable storyboard.
Corporate Film Storyboard
Storyboard for Corporate Events
Professional Storyboard Example
Editable Project Storyboard
Storyboard for Project Management
11 Steps for Creating a Storyboard Template
The procedure that you may follow in creating a storyboard template can be simplified in eleven steps. These steps are listed below.
- Meet up with the people involved in the storyboard creation.
- Specify the requirements of the storyboard needed to be made.
- If it is a project storyboard template, identify the specific needs of the project in terms of expected output as well.
- List down the availability of the storyboard requirements and identify whether they are achievable.
- Look at other storyboard template in PDF samples for references on how to create one.
- Identify the purpose of the storyboard so you can already draft the story that you will use.
- Create a short introduction about the storyboard and what it is for.
- Set the frames needed to present the storyboard phases.
- Include all the items needed in each frame. Add or remove frames when needed.
- Identify whether all the things that can showcase the flow of the story are already present in the storyboard.
- Review the entire storyboard and edit as necessary.
If it is your first time you create a storyboard, we hope that the items that we have presented can help you to create an effective one.