A research report is a document presenting brief description and the results of a study or a research done which includes testing, experimentation, and analysis of various subject matters in a report format. A research report can be used in publishing journals or articles; getting a grant or financial aid; or presenting implications or recommendations for clinical practices, education, or business.
Here at Template.net, we present to you several Research Report Formats which includes a Research Executive Summary of Report that you can download and use or serve as your guide in writing your own research reports. Continue reading through the article and learn how to write a great research report.
Formal Report Template
Professional Report Template
Sample Research Report Formats
Research involves a lengthy written document of a study. And a research report generally has an outline of your research project. It is an organized way of presenting your research project. All the key points of your research work are documented in your research report. The report is a way to communicate with the relevant people of your research. It can be used to document your research for future reference. You can check out Sample Research Report Formats templates for ideas to prepare a report for your research work.
Sample Market Research
Company Research Example
Formal Research Report
What is a Research Report
Looking through the Report Samples on this page, a research report consists of the following:
- Abstract. This is the overview of the research study that serves as the executive summary of report of the different parts of the report.
- Introduction. This provides the key question the researcher is trying to answer as well as any relevant literature associated with the subject matter.
- Methodology. This presents how the research is conducted and allows the readers to evaluate the quality of the study and other researchers to validate the findings.
- Results. This contains the data which shows the results and findings generated by the investigation and experimentation done during the research study.
- Discussion. This is where the results are interpreted and compared to other existing and similar literature in order to identify how they are going to be applied.
- References. This is the list of each author, paper, existing methods, and structures cited and references in the research report.
Characteristics of a Great Research Report
Like Financial Reports, make sure to have the following characteristics when writing a research report:
Action Research Example
Simple Research Progress
Tips for Writing a Great Research Report
In order to write a great research report, take note of the tips mentioned below:
- Be objective. Your report should present the subject matter clearly as well as its logical analysis in order to solve intellectual problems associated with the research study.
- Avoid grammatical mistakes. Your report should be free from grammatical mistakes. You can also minimize the use of technical language as readers may not be familiar with them.
- Use visual aids. Use graphs or tables for results and findings to visually show your data. This will help your readers understand and compare related data easier.
- Be accountable. Use the present tense of verbs and an active voice to show accountability of the data presented. It helps imply that all the data are accurate and true.
- Use proper structure. The layout of your report should be in accordance with the proper standards. The finding should be readily available and the index must be prepared and appended.
For more Report Sample Document ideas, take a look at some Management Reports formats as well.