A report is a written article or account of something that one has seen, heard, done, or studied upon. It could be of a particular subject matter after an investigation or examination of issues. It could also be a historical record of everyday events that occurred within an organization or findings from an experimentation or research such that of a Daily Report.
Below is a collection of Report Samples in Word that anyone can download and use whether in school, work or for personal use. All the samples you will see on this page follow the standard format of a report however they can be edited to suit your needs and preferences. So, don’t hesitate to browse through the samples below and find what you exactly need.
Incident Report Sample
Security Incident Report
Employee’s Incident Report
Project Report Sample
Final Project Report
Monthly Project Report
How to Write a Report
In order to write a report, you have to include the following basic elements to ensure you lead your readers through the information in a structured way, as in the Report Templates you find here on our website.
- Title. The title page is usually the cover of your report and shows the topic of your discussion.
- Abstract. This part consists of a summary report of the key points of your study as well as conclusions.
- Introduction. The overview or background of the chosen topic is explained in this section.
- Body. The body includes the discussion, methodologies, and findings which are divided into sections.
- Conclusion. This part states the significance, implications, and relevance of the findings made.
- Recommendations. After discussing the results and their meaning, recommendations are made.
- Appendices. All the technical terms and details that are used is listed in the appendices.
- References. Related literature and facts used during the process are credited properly here.
Even if you’re doing a report periodically for your business, like a Monthly Management Report, you need to use most, if not all, of these components to make your article a comprehensive one.
How to Write an Excellent Progress Report
A progress report is no different from other reports, as indicated in the Business Report Templates on our Web page. Although they may not contain all the elements mentioned above, you can use the following categories in order to write an excellent progress report.
- Start by looking into the past. You should start your report by looking into the past and comparing it to the present to determine the amount of progress being made at the point of time.
- Determine the problems. Based on the achievements you have made, look into the problems and challenges you have encountered and state the actions taken to resolve them.
- Set out your plans. With the information gathered from the above steps, set out your goals for the future as well as your objectives in order to perform better from that period onward.
Financial businesses can make use of progress reports such as Treasurer Report Templates we offer.
Progress Report Sample
Student Progress Report
Internship Report Sample
Internship Project Final
Summer Internship Report
Audit Report Sample
Internal Audit Report
Audit Review Report
Business Report Sample
Short Business Report
What Is the Importance of a Report in Business?
A report is important in any business as well as in other organizations because of several reasons.
- It serves as a communication channel. Reports are an effective way to communicate with other members of the organization. While an individual or group is assigned to a certain part of the job, a report allows other departments to be aware of the status of their operation.
- It enhances team effort. A report guides every team member into a single goal and if one member discovers an efficient way to solves a crisis, and a report disseminates this information needs to every team member so they can benefit from it and reach their objective in a timely manner.
- It provides reliable data. Reports contain data such as a list of issues or plans of actions that can be used for future decision-making processes. They can also disclose new types of information that may provide alternative solutions to the problems.
- It can be used as an assessment tool. As reports are done in a periodic manner, they can be used to evaluate systems and processes that may not be relevant to the new technologies used by the company or check into employee’s performances to generate self-improvement.
You can also check out our collection of Daily Report Templates for more templates to choose from.
Annual Business Report
Annual Report Sample
Annual Meeting Report
Annual Sales Report
Daily Report Sample
Contract Daily Report
Daily Construction Report
Daily Progress Report
Evaluation Report Sample
Standard Evaluation Report
Evaluation Committee Report
Training Evaluation Report
Event Report Sample
Post Event Report
School Event Report
Financial Report Sample
Monthly Financial Report
Simple Financial Report
Annual Financial Report
Types of Report Formats
There are several types of report formats you can find on this page and knowing them enables you to choose the right report that you need, like the Board Report Templates.
- Informational reports. This type of report shows results of an investigation or evaluation in order to let the readers understand a particular problem or situation.
- Analytical reports. This type of report does not just present results but also an analysis of those results as well as the conclusions drawn from the analysis.
- Recommendation reports. This type of report suggest a particular course of action for a problem and presents results and conclusions that support the recommendation.
- Narrative reports. This type of report presents its information in a logical manner or a sequential manner of description and should be followed accordingly.
- Incident reports. This type of report is made to define an issue or problem, stating its causes and a complete description of how the incident happened. (See Incident Report Templates.)
Tips on How to Write a Report
There are numerous ways on how to write a report, but writing a report effectively is one thing. Here are some tips that you can take note of when writing a report.
- Do not use jargon. Instead, use a simple and concise language to ensure better understanding.
- Write in short sentences. Keep your sentences brief and develop each paragraph sufficiently.
- Maintain professionalism. Your report should be impersonal aside from the recommendations.
- Keep the grammar correct. Use appropriate verb tenses and write in an active voice.
While you’re here, you can take a look at our Annual Report Templates and Status Report Templates.
Grant Report Sample
Grant Progress Report
Final Grant Report
Grant Application Report
Monthly Report Sample
Monthly Project Status Report
Monthly Status Report
Monthly Supervision Report
Marketing Report Sample
Market Research Report
Monthly Marketing Report
Marketing Status Report
Guidelines for Report Writing
Reports are formal documents, therefore, there are some guidelines that you need to follow when writing a report for your business or organization.
- Layout. Have a consistent layout on all the pages of your report. Headings and sub-heading should use the same formatting and should be on the same side throughout.
- Organization. Make sure to organize your topics in different sections and arrange them in a cohesive and coherent manner. Problems should always come before solutions.
- Margins. You should write your report in a justified manner with a standard size for the side, top, and bottom margins. Your texts should be in the center of the paper.
- Fonts. Never use decorative fonts or fonts that are hard to read in your reports. Keep them simple and only highlight headers or texts of great importance.
- Grammar. Make sure you use correct grammar in all your statements. This also includes spelling and sentence construction.
- Images. Use photographs, charts, and graphs that are clear and easy to understand. Make sure they are visually appealing and do not overdecorate them.
For more report samples for your business, our Internal Audit Report Templates are also available.