By definition, bills of sale are legal documents that record a transaction, no matter what form they take. For certain kinds of commodities, however, you will want to make sure the more minute, sensitive legal details are also included. This will invariably be needed when large, valuable goods are being bought or sold—think in terms of vehicles, heavy machinery, farm or sports animals like horses, or houses and whole businesses and other real estate property.
14+ FREE SALES Templates - Download Now Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word (DOC), Microsoft Excel (XLS), Adobe Photoshop (PSD), Google Docs, Microsoft PowerPoint (PPT), Adobe InDesign (INDD & IDML), Apple (MAC) Pages, Google Sheets (SPREADSHEETS), Microsoft Publisher, Apple Numbers, Adobe Illustrator (AI), Apple Apple (MAC) Keynote, Google Slides, HTML5
If you find yourself selling anything that fits these categories but don’t yet have a Bill of Sale Template, this collection of free bills you can download and print will help you out. You can also check our expansive archives for more examples of each type of form.
Legal Bill of Sale Template
Legal Vehicle Bill of Sale Template
Legal Blank Bill of Sale
Legal Boat Bill of Sale
Legal Automobile Bill of Sale
What Are the Legal Details in a Bill of Sale?
A bill of sale that can be considered legally binding will invariably contain these details:
- Full and relevant details of buyer
- Full and relevant details of seller
- Full and relevant identifying details and description of commodity (see below)
- Final agreed purchasing price
- Time and date of completed transaction
- Any further terms and conditions of sale agreed upon by signatories
- Any applicable usage restrictions, lien conditions, warranties, etc., of the commodity
This is enough to document the full picture of the transaction.
The identifying details of the commodity in this case will be crucial and will naturally depend on the commodity.
- For motor vehicles such as cars and motorbikes, you will have the make, model and year, odometer reading, vehicle identification number, etc. (see Legal Vehicle Bill of Sale).
- Other vehicles and vessels will have similar details (see Legal Boat Bill of Sale above).
- Real estate property will often contain the address as well as the property registration number, among others. There may be warranties involved (see Legal Land Bill of Sale below).
- Selling an entity such as a company? There will be IP laws and financial arrangements with the original owners and shareholders to consider (see the Legal Business Bill of Sale for a better idea).
- Equipment and service animals will tend to have descriptions and serial numbers for this criteria (see Legal Equipment Bill of Sale and Legal Horse Bill of Sale for respective examples).
It sounds simple once you get the form and function of such a bill. You don’t have to be a lawyer to draft your own bill once you understand this. You can even modify your own Word Bill of Sale Template to create a Business Bill of Sale, for example.
Legal Business Bill of Sale
Legal Personal Property Bill of Sale
Legal Horse Bill of Sale
Legal Equipment Bill of Sale
Legal Land Bill of Sale
Other Bills of Sale
Again, once you understand the important details from these examples, you should be able to take an editable Blank Bill of Sale Template and make sure you have all the necessary legal details required to carry out a legal transaction.
If this is your first big sale, it might be wise to have a lawyer friend or two to look over the terms and conditions first.
Also, don’t forget to amass as many examples as possible, many of which you can actually use. Just search for “bills of sale” in Template.net’s archives for more free and helpful business templates.