Almost all business entities and organizations require their employees or members to have ID cards. These may be used for security, verification, and admission purposes. So if you are looking for sample templates for your organization’s identification cards, you came to the right website.
In this article, we will provide helpful tips and hacks on how to design ID cards, how to use pre-made ID card templates, and learn more about the different types of ID card designs available today. Sit back, relax, and read the rest of the article.
Elements of a Good ID Card
How do you know that you are creating an ID card design that is both aesthetically pleasing and also serves a practical purpose? This is the main question that we seek to answer in the first part of this article.
In the list below, we attempt to answer the question posted above by sharing the elements or characteristics that should be found in an ID card design. Find out what each element is and make sure to apply them to your own card creation process.
- Card Design Theme: A design theme or motif helps tell a more coherent and logical story. This is an important element in any graphic design project as it allows you to create a more credible impression or brand persona. And if you are creating an official ID card, you will need all the credibility that you need.
- Typography: The choice of font styles and typeface families are another factor to consider when creating an ID card. Remember, an ID card needs to be readable enough so that persons of authority can read it easily. And choosing a well-designed typeface can help make your ID card design standout.
- Color Scheme: Another important element of any ID card design is its color scheme. And if you want to create ID cards that will surely turn heads, incorporating an equally stunning color combination can do that for you. On the other hand, if your company has a formal and clean image, it may be best to choose a minimalist or monochromatic color scheme for your corporate ID cards.
- Images and/or Illustrations: An integral part of most identification cards are the photos of the ID card owner. Therefore, when you are designing an ID card, artists should make sure that the photo section is positioned in the best location within the card design layout. Experiment with different ID card design layouts until you find one that suits you best.
- Overall Card Design: When you combine all the card design elements that we have listed above, they should all help create a unique overall look for the ID card. This “look” should coincide with your business’ or organization’s creative branding identity designs. And, at the same time, they should help make your brand more recognizable to the average employee or customer.
And that ends this list of the most important elements that should be seen in an ID card design. Apply them into your card creation process and you will get positive results in no time.
19+ ID Card Templates
Take a look at all these card templates and designs. Each template is available in various formats and printing sizes. You may also customize them to match your business or personal brand.
ID Card Design
Employee ID Card
Student Id Card Example
Doctor Id Card Template
Daycare Staff ID Card
Daycare Teacher ID Card
Advertising Agency ID Card
Simple ID Card
Free Blank ID Card
Free Professional ID Card
Vertical Blank ID Card Template
Security Guard ID Card Example
Basic Blank ID Card Template
Blank ID Card Design
Corporate Blank ID Card Design
Free Employee ID Card Sample
Office Blank ID Card Sample
Sample Photo Blank ID Card Template
Sample Company ID Card
Staff Blank ID Card Template Design
Steps To Designing A Good ID Card
Making an ID card is often left at hands of professional graphic artists and designers. But even if you do not have formal education in creating or customizing card templates, it can be relatively easy to make your own identification card designs. With the help of the internet, anyone can now search for and download pre-made ID card templates. These are pre-made digital files that will allow the most technologically unsavvy folks to create ID cards in no time.
Listed below are the step by step guide on how to do just that. Read each step carefully. And enjoy the entire ID card creation process.
1. Decide on an ID card theme: This means that you need to choose a defining look or style for your company’s or organization’s ID cards. Just like how an event planner will choose a theme for a party, you also need to choose a theme for your professional ID cards. You may follow a minimalist ID card theme, a modern ID card theme, or even a vintage ID card theme.
2. Choose a pre-made ID card template design: Now that you have decided on the main theme, it is time to choose a printable template that matches this theme. Choose carefully as this step will help determine if you will have a well-designed card design template or not.
3. Open the template of choice in a graphic design software tool: Once you have chosen an ID card template, it is now time to open the template in a software tool. You may use Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Microsoft Word, or Publisher. Choose a card template design that you are most comfortable in using.
4. Make all the template customizations that you like: Most pre-made printable ID card templates will only come with stock photos and blank text boxes. It is up to, the template’s end-user, to spice things up. You may add your own pictures, layout styles, font styles, and even logo designs into the template itself. When you do this and make all the design edits, you will be left with a final output that will best represent your business or brand.
5. Finalize the ID card template design: After making all the template customizations that you like to have on your ID card design, it is now time to review and finalize the modern ID card design. You may hire someone to proofread and review the card template for any typos or design inconsistencies. If errors were found, make the necessary corrections right away.
6. It’s time to print your ID cards: Now that you have finalized your ID card template design, it is time to print them out. There are now portable office ID printers available today so business owners do not even need to go to a professional ID printing shop. But for those who require more advanced printing techniques and security features added to their ID card designs, it is best to use the services of a professional print shop.
And that’s it! All the steps needed to create an excellent ID card!
Types of ID Cards
There is no standard classification system for ID cards. Instead, ID cards may be categorized according to the core purpose they serve. For example, there can be official ID cards and there can be un-official or secondary ID cards.
Official ID cards are those obtained through government offices and agencies. Examples of these ID cards are Social Security ID cards, Passports, Alien Registration Cards, and Drivers Licence Cards. Un-official ID cards are those that are created in the private sector for their employees. Other examples of secondary or supporting ID cards are student ID cards, membership cards, company IDs, and other kinds of worker ID cards.
ID Card Sizes
Most ID cards follow the same standard business card size and this is 2 inches by 3.5 inches. However, it’s the prerogative of the concerned organization or employer on how they want their employees’ or members’ identification cards to look like.
ID Card FAQs
What is an ID card template?
An ID card template is a pre-made file that can be used to create a full-blown identification card. Knowledge in the use of different graphic design and editing software tools is needed before anyone can customize these pre-made templates.
What is the difference between a national ID card and a company ID card?
A national ID card is an official document obtained through government offices and agencies. They are used as proof of a person’s identity and citizenship among other things. A company ID card, on the other hand, is an identity card that may only be used within the premises of a company or organization. It still acts as a proof of identity and position but may not be used on government transactions that require only official government-issued ID cards.
How are ID cards printed?
ID cards are usually printed on PVC plastic. Additional features like magnetic strips, embedded microchips, and mini antennas may be placed into these cards as a security and tracking measure.
Will using national ID cards affect a person’s privacy?
There are pros and cons with the implementation of a national ID system. This is why careful thought, planning, and research should be done by different governing bodies before implementing a nationwide ID system. Doing all these things is essential in order to prevent intrusion on citizen’s private lives.
Browse through the rest of the site for more examples of ID card templates and other business templates you may need for work or for school. Bookmark and refer back to this article if you need more time to absorb all the lessons on designing ID cards that we have shared above.