Print advertising can be costly. That is why if you want to pursue this marketing action plan, you need to come up with relevant and compelling ad designs and ad copy to match any marketing collaterals you create.
And in this article, we will teach you how to do that. More specifically, we will share comprehensive information on how to create effective flyer designs. We will also show you examples of flyer templates that you can use and/or recreate for your own organizations, businesses, events, or campaigns.
What makes a flyer work? Is it its color? The paper it is printed on? Or is it a catchy headline? We dig deeper into what makes a good flyer design as we enumerate the five essential design elements below. So, switch on to your learning mode and read on…
1. Compelling Call To Action: To create a flyer that will help bring you desired results, you first need to design one that has a compelling Call To Action. This refers to that one phrase, line, or image that asks a customer to do something related to your product, service, event, or campaign. This single line can be the key takeaway from your flyer. It should be worded in a way that a reader will remember for the next few hours or days. It should encourage without being too coercive. It should spark action without sounding too bossy. Practice, practice, practice, until you until you learn how to craft those essential lines.
2. Persuasive Ad Copy: A compelling Call-To-Action will not do you any good if the rest of your flyer’s content is subpar. Pay attention to how each sentence, phrase, imagery, or question is written in your flyer. Just like an effective call to action, it should be persuasive and backed with data. Invest in a professional copywriter if you have the budget. Or, study the basics of copywriting before attempting to write one for your own business.
3. Color Scheme: The next design element that a good flyer should embody is an attractive color scheme. You may use a color chart to determine what color/s will work best for your brand or for the message you wish to impart. The best flyers are those that choose a complementary color combination without drowning out the content of the flyer itself.
4. Visual Hierarchy: Another important design element that helps create good flyer designs is the intelligent usage of visual hierarchy. All the text and design elements (image, illustrations, headers, etc) used in the flyer should be arranged in a way that tells a coherent story. Objects that are meant to be read first should be highlighted and text or images that are only meant as decorations or space-fillers should be positioned away from the direct line of sight. The more organized a flyer’s layout is, the easier it is to understand.
5. Paper Type: Lastly, remember that the backbone of most graphic design projects is the integration of beautiful yet highly-functional typefaces and lettering style. Choose font styles that do not stand out and take away the message of your flyer. They should help make your flyer more readable. This way, they do not need to expend unnecessary energy in deciphering your flyer’s text instead of directly understanding and taking action from the knowledge they have learned from reading your flyer.
Below, you will find multiple flyer templates in Illustrator file format. Each template is fully editable using Adobe Illustrator. They are also available in other file formats (like Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Microsoft Word) in case you do not have Illustrator installed on your computer.
In a world that has mostly shifted to the digital side of things, it does not mean you have to take print advertising for granted. Whether you are a seasoned entrepreneur or a small business owner, you can still execute a smart flyer advertising plan and get a return of your investments in no time.
To help you do that, heed the next few tips we are sharing below. These tips can help you create the right kind of advertising campaigns tailored for the specific audience or market your business is created for.
1. Use a printable flyer template: It’s a no-brainer that any kind of graphic design template will help you save time, money, and emotional health. With any printable flyer template, all the formatting and style elements are taken cared of. You just need to add your own information, a simple business logo, or letterhead design and you are done.
2. Focus on your target market: The key to creating a well-designed flyer (or any marketing material) is to picture your ideal customer or client and tailor your flyer to that person. You may conduct your own market research to know what your core demographic is, what they want in their life, what they look for in a product or service, how old they are, and even what are their hobbies. When you create a flyer based on this information, any customer reading the flyer will readily feel a connection or relate with what your flyer is all about.
3. Add branding elements: A flyer’s main purpose is to hook a person’s attention and lead them towards a product, individual, service, event, or campaign. And by adding your business’ unique branding elements into its design, you are giving the advert more clout and credibility. In effect, this can also increase brand recall when customers keep on seeing the same brand logos or logotypes in different places and advertising media.
4. Use the same flyer design online: As we have mentioned earlier, the digital front is still a good place to advertise any business in. So if you want to cover all your bases, it is best to use the same flyer design and social media post designs. Doing it this way can also help reinforce your brand identity both online and offline.
5. Craft a catchy headline: We have talked about this before. But it bears mentioning again. To create effective flyers, you need to come up with equally attention-grabbing headlines. Effective headlines can range from a creatively designed flyer title. Or, it can be as blatant as ‘Get Up To 50% Off Now!’ You get the drift? A good headline or call to action should spur a reader or customer into action. And flyers with catchy headlines will be the ones that will get you the results you want for your business.
Reading all these actionable design tips in one go may seem too overwhelming. But take it easy, okay? Keep on trying out different flyer designs and marketing plans until you come up with one that beautifully showcases the purpose of your brand and gives you the results you need.
Flyers may be categorized according to their end purpose. Written below is a list of different types of flyers according to this classification system.
Most of the free printable flyer templates shared in this article are available in 8.5 inches by 11 inches paper size while others follow A4 or US paper sizes. However, this is not the standard flyer size. Anyone using these templates is free to resize the templates to match their preferred paper sizes.
Flyers and brochures both are printed marketing materials. They may contain the same type of product or service information and ad copy. Their main difference lies in the fact that business brochures typically include multiple pages that are bound together. Flyers, on the other hand, only consist of a single page.
A flyer template is any preset digital file that contains all the image, text, layout, formatting, illustration, artwork, and typeface elements needed to create flyer design. A template is called a flyer template in Illustrator if Adobe Illustrator is used in crafting such graphic design file.
Most business flyers are printed on 170-gram paper. Thicker paper means it is more durable and can withstand different conditions where flyers are used. Anything in the 130- to the 170-gram range can be acceptable paperweights for printing flyers.
With the help of all the design tips and template examples shared above, we hope that you are now more confident in crafting your own business flyers that will not get trampled upon. Remember to have an open mind so that you can continue to learn more about graphic design and how to improve your own flyer creations. Do not forget to our newsletter so that you will be the first one to get notified as new free and premium design templates are added to our website.