What Is a Desk Receptionist Cover Letter?
A desk receptionist cover letter is a formal letter that a candidate uses to secure a receptionist position in an establishment. Submitted together with a resume, this elegant letter provides recruiters with an outlook of the candidate’s skills and work experience.
How to Write a Desk Receptionist Cover Letter
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the US had around 1,057,370 receptionists and clerks in the 2nd quarter of 2019. Additionally, they projected that this number will grow to as much as 5% by 2028. If you’re planning to work as a desk receptionist, expect to have a lot of other people vying for the job like you are. One way to stand out is by writing an eye-catching cover letter, and we have guidelines below to help you out.
1. Gather Details about the Hiring Company
When you plan to apply for a job, you don’t just hand in your papers without getting acquainted with the company. Make it a habit to gather details about the hiring company, details such as the names of the hiring manager, CEO, and other high-ranking people. This will give the impression that you care not only for the job but also for the people you are working for.
2. Check the Job Advertisement Posted by the Company
Apart from getting acquainted with the office staff, you also need to check the details written on the job description. This will help you in tailoring both your letter and resume according to its details. Aside from that, checking the job ad will help you determine if this is indeed the right job for you.
3. Write a List of Your Skills and Achievements
Part of cover letters is a section or paragraph where you mention skills and achievements that make you a better candidate than others. However, some of these may not be relevant to the job, or it may make you sound too desperate. So, play it safe by making a list first before writing your letter.
4. Introduce Yourself and Showcase Your Skills
Choose whether to use Word, Pages, or Google Docs to write your letter and then start introducing yourself. The first paragraph of your letter should briefly explain who you are and where you found out about the job vacancy. And then in the second paragraph, you can start adding in your key competencies and relevant work experience.
What are the duties and responsibilities of a desk receptionist?
- Greets visitors and directs them to the appropriate place.
- Receives, screens, and forwards emails and phone calls.
- Keeps a record of all essential documents and files.
What are the skills needed to become an effective receptionist?
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Exceptional multitasking and organizational skills.
How much are desk receptionists paid?
According to the website, Salary, desk receptionists in the United States are paid between $32,924 and $41,102 a year, with a median amount of $36,664.
What is the importance of cover letters?
Cover letters are important because they help introduce yourself to employers. And since it is submitted with a resume, it complements the details on that document, but in narrative form.
What are the types of cover letters?
- Application letter - This is used to market yourself to recruiters while supplementing the details in the resume.
- Prospecting letter - Unlike application letters that are submitted in response to a job ad, this is for inquiring if there are job vacancies.