Timesheets are essential in documenting the number of hours that a business’s workforce has rendered. A simple Excel timesheet can help a lot in assuring that the employees are paid accordingly and that their performance in terms of attendance are accurately recorded.
232+ FREE SHEET Templates - Download Now Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word (DOC), Microsoft Excel (XLS), Adobe Photoshop (PSD), Google Docs, Adobe InDesign (INDD & IDML), Apple (MAC) Pages, Microsoft Publisher, Adobe Illustrator (AI), Apple Numbers
A timesheet can be considered as a fact sheet as it includes the actual work logs of the people who are working for a particular establishment. Creating a timesheet can be easier if you follow a template for formatting the document. This post contains guides and samples that can serve as your reference in making the timesheet of your business.
Weekly Timesheet Templates
Weekly Timesheet for Employee
Weekly Project Timesheet
Casual Employee Monthly Timesheet
Monthly Student Timesheet
Monthly Calendar Timesheet
How to Write a Timesheet
If it is your first time to write a timesheet and you are unaware of the process on how to create one, you can follow these basic steps:
- Identify the software where you can the blank timesheet template. You can create a timesheet template in Excel, Word, or PDF depending on your level of comfort and your software preference.
- Open the software that you have selected and create the grid that you will use to format the timesheet that you need.
- It is up to you on how you will use the rows or columns of your grid. Just make sure that the names of the employees and the dates where they need to be present in the workplace are placed in the first row and first column respectively. This will serve as your guide in tracking the attendance of the employees.
- Depending on the timesheet format that you will follow, you can include these information:
- The log in time of the employees
- The time that the employees clocked out from work
- The break time of the employees
- The absences, late, and undertime of the employees
How to Use a Timesheet Template
If you want a readily made timesheet template, you can download the samples that we have in this post. Here are some guides on using a timesheet template:
- Identify the kind of timesheet that works for the processes of your business. There are a lot of numbers timesheet templates that you may use to record the daily, weekly, monthly, or annual attendance performance of the employees of the company where you work.
- Make sure that your timesheet template of choice is relevant to the attendance scheduling and recording of your employees.
- Edit the content of the timesheet that you have downloaded depending on the scheduling requirements of your company.
Internship Daily Timesheet
Blank Daily Timesheet
Employee Daily Timesheet
Employee Timesheet & Daily Review
Timesheet for Casual Employee
Printable Monthly Timesheet
Printable Daily Timesheet
Printable Employee Timesheet
Inclusions of a Timesheet Template
For a timesheet template to be usable and effective, you need to make sure that the content of the timesheet is complete, well-organized, and properly and accurately recorded. Some of the items that should always be present in a timesheet are as follows:
- The name of the employee
- The period covered by the timesheet
- The total regular hours of service that the employee has rendered
- The total number of hours in overtime that the business needs to compensate the employee with
- The employee’s identification number
- The department where the employee is assigned
- The dates that the employee is expected to be present in the work place
- The actual log in and log out of the employee on a daily basis
- The lunch break time that an employee is entitled to use
- A space for the notes needed by the human resource division. This part of the timesheet may include the reason of an employee’s absences, the contractor timesheet reminders for outsourced workforce, and other items needed for the preparation of the payroll for the employees.
There are still additional information that companies may put in the timesheet that they use depending on the regulations that they follow in terms of the attendance tracking and recording of their employees.
Blank Annual Timesheet
Basic Contractor Timesheet
Contractor Weekly Timesheet
Monthly Contractor Timesheet
Construction Weekly Timesheet
Company Construction Timesheet
Construction Weekly Timesheet
Special Consultant Timesheet
Printable Consultant Timesheet
Daily Paid Consultant
How to Change the Timesheet Template
A timesheet template that a business uses can change due to the following reasons:
- There are some lapses identified in the current timesheet template that the company uses.
- There is a new human resource manager or director who wants to improve the timesheet of the business.
- There are new regulations in terms of attendance and scheduling which may affect the content of the timesheet.
- There may be an outsource, project-based, or consultant timesheet templates that needs to be incorporated in the regular timesheet used by the business.
You can change the timesheet template of the company through these steps:
- Make sure that the scope of the timesheet to be replaced has already been included in the most recent payroll so that you can start a new timesheet that covers the next payroll period of the company.
- Refer to the previous timesheet of the business so it will be easy for you to identify the items that you need to change.
- Open and create a new timesheet to follow and compare it with the previous timesheet so you can assess whether the changes that you would like to have has already been applied.
- Whether it is a daily timesheet template or a monthly timesheet template that you want to change, make sure that the employees are aware of the changes that you will implement in order to avoid or preemptively address any complaints.
Client Weekly Timesheet
Work Study Timesheet
Work Activities Timesheet
Work-Study Program Timesheet
Advanced Timesheet Example
Monthly Volunteer Timesheet
Student Volunteer Timesheet
Security Hourly Timesheet
Blank Security Timesheet
Guidelines for Creating a Timesheet Template
A few guidelines that you can follow when making a timesheet template are as follows:
- Refer to other sheet examples used in the same function so you can identify the content and structure that you may apply to the timesheet that you will create.
- Be precise with the kind of timesheet that you will make. Specify whether it is a volunteer timesheet, a security timesheet, an employee attendance timesheet, or any other kind of timesheet relevant to the operations of the company.
- Make sure to specify the entire names of the employees as this is needed to assure that the payroll of the specific employee will not be mistakenly given or credited to other employees.
- The name of the employee and their company identification number must match in your timesheet to ensure an accurate record.
- Some timesheets are arranged based on the identification number of the employees, while some are created based on the department or the division that the employees are a part of. Always specify the department where the employee is under so that their supervisor can check the accuracy of the timesheet.
The timesheet that a company uses is very important as it dictates the amount of salary that the employees will receive. This document is also used for assessing the employees’ performance . Make sure to follow these guidelines so you can create an effective timesheet.