It is always important for one to learn about his family’s history, but gaining all of that information that allows one to do so may be hard to come across. That’s why people who want to learn will need something that can provide them with everything that they need such as the names of family members of older generations and descriptions of what they did.
The one document that is able to provide all of that information would happen to be a family tree. This article will teach you all that you need to know in regards to what a family tree should contain and how you will go about in creating one for yourself.
Elements of a Family Tree
It’s never going to be easy making a family tree as you’ll have to find all of the information you’ll want to put in it. However, it is important for you to learn about the basic elements so that you’ll know exactly what it is that you have to find. They are what’s needed to ensure that people who go through your family tree will better understand your family history.
So with that, here are the basic elements that you have to include:
1. Title: Every family tree should have its own title as that’s what can separate yours from everyone else’s. Basically, this helps point out as to whose family history is being presented in the document, and it can even explain until what generation the entire family tree is going to cover. You can go with simple titles by providing putting in the words “Family Tree” after your last name or the number of the generation that you will be covering.
2. Names: It should be very obvious that a family tree that lacks the names of family members is just not feasible. So what you are going to have to do is to learn all of the names of the people that you will be putting into the document. Be sure that whoever is supposed to be in the family tree has their first name, last name, and even their middle names written down; this is to make sure that readers actually get accurate information regarding the identities of these people.
3. Date of birth/death: No matter who you end up putting into the family tree, you’ll have to point out the date in which they were born and the day they died. This can help point out what period they were from and can be useful for further research. Just be sure that if you put the date in which a family member died, that family member is actually dead and it’s not just a probable date.
4. Family relations: Those who will be going through your family tree will definitely want to know who is connected to who, who gave birth to who, who married who and so on. So what you’ll have to do is to clearly point out the different ties in your family. Just make sure that you are fully aware as to who has relations with who or else you could screw up your entire family tree.
10+ Family Tree in Apple Numbers
Simple Family Tree Template
Free Third Generation Family Tree
Free Blank Family Tree Example
Four Generation Family Tree Template
Basic Family Tree Template
Free Genealogy Family Tree Sample
Photo Family Tree Template
Free Modern Family Tree Example
Free Family Tree Chart Template
Sample Family Tree Template
Free Family Tree of Generations
How to Make a Family Tree
The next step is for you to finally start making your family tree. You’ll need to consider how the entire tree should be made, then you need to think about how you are going to implement all of the elements in a way that will make the document look presentable and professional.
So to help you with that, here are the steps that will allow you to come up with a proper family tree:
1. Use Launchpad to create your family tree: Know that one of the best ways to make a family tree in Numbers would be via Launchpad. This is a program that’s meant for devices such as Macs that are installed with an iOS. If you do not have such a device, then consider alternatives. If you have access to Launchpad, then here are the things that you’ll need to do:
- Click on the Launchpad icon and open it.
- Next, click on the Numbers icon.
- Click on the type of document you want to create by choosing from the list you’ll see on the left.
- Click on the template and search for ones specifically for family trees.
- Click Choose to open a new document using the template you selected.
If you like, you can use the same method to make any other type of document.
2. Create your family tree: After learning how to use Launchpad to make the document, you still have the job of putting in the information the family tree needs.
So here are the things that you are going to do:
- Make sure that you know exactly who it is that you need to cover: This is something that you will need to think about even before you’ve started making your family tree. Think about what where in your family history you want your family tree to start covering, and from there you can work out the names of the people that you are going to have to include. That way, you should be able to know where you’re supposed to obtain your source of information.
- Think of the family tree’s design: There are some people who stick with a relatively simple design that just connects one family member to the next. However, the way you go about in presenting the family history could impact what one could learn. For example, what if you want to share more information other than names and dates of birth? This is why you have to seriously consider the overall design of your family tree. To help you out with this, there are many different examples of family trees either through the net or here on our site and you can use them all as references for your own.
Tips for Making a Family Tree
- Gain all of the information you need: Remember that knowing the names and dates may not just be enough when it comes to presenting your family history. So if you think that your family tree can benefit from additional information, then you should seriously consider looking for all of the different sources where you think you can acquire it. While you can always use modern technology to help you with your research, there are times where it will be much easier for you by simply asking your other family members; Who knows? They may just provide you more than you need.
- Consider putting in photos: While there are some family trees that require you to do this, you should know that’s always best for you to place pictures of the people that your family tree is going to cover. Having an image of what they look like can definitely help a person identify who that is and the possible things that he/she has done. Be sure to find the best quality photo for each person in your tree.
- Check to make sure that there’s nothing that needs to be changed: The last thing that you want is a family tree that cannot provide you or anyone else with accurate information on your family’s history. The easiest way for you to avoid that is by simply checking to see if there’s anything that you need to change or if there are any mistakes that you have to fix.
Types of Family Trees
Since there are so many families out in the world and reasons as to why a person would want to cover his/her family history, it’s only natural that there would be a variety of family trees that can be made. Knowing what they are will tell you what it is that you have to make that can cover the part of your family’s history that you want to show. So with that, here a few examples:
- Detailed Family Tree
- Modern Family Tree
- Basic Family Tree
- Extended Family Tree
- Chinese Family Tree
- Children’s Family Tree
- Blended Family Tree
- Adoptive Family Trees
If you want to learn more information on family trees and how they’re made or if you want to learn about other documents, then you simply have to go through our site and search it for the articles you need.
Family Tree FAQs
Can I put as many people as I want?
There is no limit to the number of people that your sample family tree should be able to cover. Just make sure that the document that you put all of the information is a good enough size as you don’t want it to look like a jumbled mess.
How do I make sure that I won’t lose my family tree?
If you want to have access to it all times, then it’s suggested that you save it in cloud storage as you can access it from there at any given point in time. However, just make sure that you also have a physical copy and that you have backups of your family tree as you’ll never know when you might need it.
So long as you make the most out of the information that’s presented in this article, then you are guaranteed to make a proper and accurate family tree.