Keeping a diary is often dismissed as a childish hobby—which can be downright insulting for those who keep a diary as adults. That is why, if you belong to an older demographic, it is best to distinguish your notebooks and journals intended for keeping your thoughts and ideas as personalized as possible. Does this stop people from laughing at you when they learn you keep a diary? Well, maybe not. But doing this will help you reframe the diary-writing act as a worthwhile task.
Still here and still interested in how to design your own notebooks and journals? If yes, then this article is just for you. Shared below are downloadable examples of notebook and journal templates in MS Word file format. In addition, we are sharing design tips and hacks on how you can create your own journals easily and quickly. Read on…
Using pre-designed notebooks and journal often do not make the mark especially for those who want total control over how their own diaries should look like. It’s a good thing that pre-made templates are now able to make your life easier. But before we show your examples of these downloadable notebooks and journal templates, we will first share with you the top graphic design elements that make a good notebook or journal.
These core elements are needed to ensure that you will have the best experience using them. Read and study what these elements are so that you will have an idea on how to create or choose your preferred notebook and journal designs.
1. Coherent Design Theme or Motif: A notebook or journal is only as effective as its theme or motif. A design theme should help tell another person what kind of notebook or journal he or she is looking at. To illustrate, if want to create a travel journal, all the design and text components of the journal should make it obvious that it is used for keeping notes during travel. A coherent design theme also makes the end product more aesthetically pleasing.
2. Organized Layout: In addition to following a coherent design theme, a good notebook or journal design should have an organized layout. Remember, a journal is used a note-taking tool and as reading material. This means that all the text and design elements used should be arranged in a balanced manner to make it easier for a reader or writer to navigate his or her way around the journal design.
3. Appropriate Typography Design: The next design element that you should look for when making journals or notebooks is a good typography design. This means that all the text properties (i.e. the font size, color, kerning, and formatting style) should all be consistent with the journal theme and purpose. For example, if you are creating a retro journal, it should follow that you choose a font lettering style that reminds someone of the past or a specific era. Take a look at all the different journal template designs featured in this article and you will see how typography design is implemented to match the kind of journal being created.
4. Complementary Color Palette: In a similar vein, the color palette used in a journal or notebook is another design element that makes it effective and compelling. If you cannot decide on what specific colors to use right away, you may check a color chart. It can guide you what specific colors will work well together. Use the same complementary color combination all throughout your journal and notebook designs.
5. Paper Quality: Lastly, do not forget that the type of paper or printing material used for a notebook or journal affects the kind of impression the notebook create. Generally, the thicker and higher the quality of the paper or cardstock, the more positive image it creates. Choose your notebook and journal papers carefully. You may also explore other printing materials if you wish to create unique journals.
The top five design elements listed above are only the beginning. As you spend more time making your own notebooks and journals, you will learn more tips on how to spot and improve your own journal design creations.
Embedded below are notebook and journal templates in Word file format. You may download and customize each template so that they can match your preferred design or look. Other file template formats are also available through each template’s dedicated download page.
Shared below is a step by step guide on how to create notebook and journal designs. Study each step diligently so that you will know how to recreate them well on your own. Read on…
1. Choose a notebook or journal theme: First things first. And that is to choose a design theme or motif for your notebook or journal. Do not miss this step because it is essential in making an effective journal or notebook. A well-chosen notebook theme also makes it more purposeful. This can even help to make sure that you use the notebook after you have printed it.
2. Download a printable template: Next, download any pre-formatted notebook or journal template. Multiple examples are shared within this article so you will not get tired of looking for a design that you like. These printable templates will help make the journal-making process easier and quicker. Plus, they only cost a few dollars. And some are even available for free.
3. Start editing using your preferred graphic design software program: Once you have your template ready, it’s time to open it using the graphic design software of your choice. Most of the templates shared in this article are downloadable as Microsoft Word files so make sure that you have MS Word installed on your computer. Then, start editing the template to match your own vision of what a notebook or journal should be.
4. Finalize the journal design: And once you like how your journal design looks like, do not obsess over it any longer. You may also have the design evaluated by a peer or another third-party division for any errors or issues. Correct the design for any errors. Then, save it to your computer or to a flash drive.
5. Print it out: Hurray! It’s the last step of the journal-making process. Using your home or office printer, print out the notebook or journal template design. Use high-quality paper or cardstock. And if you want your journal to have that luxury feel, you may have it printed from a professional print shop where you can use advanced embossing, foil, and paper-cutting printing techniques.
Wasn’t that just easy? Heed all these steps and creating your own notebooks and journals will be a trip to the park. Do not forget to enjoy the process. Seek design inspiration from all things around you so that you can come up with a unique and memorable notebook and journal designs.
Listed below are different types of notebooks and journals based on different classification systems. Find out what each type of notebook or journal is through this comoprehensive list.
1. According to Page Ruling:
2. According to Type of Cover:
3. According to Binding Type:
4. According to Content:
There is no standard sizing for making notebooks and journals. Anyone may choose whatever paper size they want. In this article, most of the templates follow the A4 or 8.27 inches by 11.69 inches paper size but they may be resized to match your preference. Other popular notebook and journal sizes are the A4, A5, A6, B5, and B6 paper printing sizes.
Notebook and journal templates in Word are pre-formatted Microsoft Word document files used for making (yeah, you guessed it! 😀 ) notebook and journal designs. As a graphic design file, it contains all the text, image, layout, and formatting elements needed to create a notebook or journal. These files will have a .DOC or .DOCX file extension name.
Diary studies is a research technique where respondents are tasked to write down their thoughts, observations, or reflections during a specific period of time. It is used for the qualitative scientific studies. Journaling, on the other hand, refers to the personal act of recording one’s thoughts, observations, reflections, actions, and other musings about one’s daily life.
Yes, absolutely! Notebooks and journal design templates may be created using various graphic design and editing software tools like Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, and even Apple Pages.
Now that you have learned how to make your own notebooks and journals, it is time to get started on actually making one. With all the knowledge that we have shared in this article. And with a little help from all the free printable templates shared above, you will surely have a more enjoyable time. And, don’t forget to check out the rest of our website for more free graphic design and business templates.