If you want to apply for a job, then the best thing that you can come up with is a resume that contains all of the information that you wish to share to an employer. However, there might come a time where you’ll want to show off some of the work you’ve done to have an even better chance of acquiring the job. You can also read resume templates.
This is where a portfolio resume comes in as it’s something that will not only share your qualifications but also give employers a taste of what you’re capable of. And that’s why this article is going to teach you all that you need to know in order for you to make one.
24+ Portfolio Templates - Microsoft Word (DOC), Adobe Photoshop (PSD), Adobe InDesign (INDD & IDML), Apple (MAC) Pages, Microsoft Publisher, Adobe Illustrator (AI), HTML, WordPress - START DOWNLOADING
Elements of a Portfolio Resume
If you ever plan on making a portfolio resume, then you should know how important it is that you are able to learn about its basic elements. The point of knowing what they are is so to guarantee that you are able to include all of the information that you need to share to a potential employer. Without them, the chances of you getting the job will become relatively slim.
Knowing that, here are the basic elements that you must always include in order for you to come up with a good portfolio resume:
1. Personal Information: It’s here where you’re going to have to write down your complete name, as well as your contact details. This is so that the potential employer will know exactly who he/she is dealing with, as well as having what’s needed to contact you in the event that you have been chosen as the right person for the job.
2. Introduction: It’s here where you’ll want to give a brief introduction as to who you are and what you’re like in terms of work. Make sure not to go too much into detail as you’ll still want to save room for other pieces of information that you’ll want to include:
3. Education: Employers will always want to know if applicants are able to meet with educational requirements before they’re even considered for the job. So what you’re going to have to do here is to point out the schools that you graduated from, the year that you’ve graduated, and the level of education you’ve acquired.
4. Work Experience: If you’ve held any previous jobs prior to the one you’re applying for, then you should include them into the resume. Even if you didn’t have any work experience, it’s best that you write down anything you’ve done that relates to the job that you’re aiming for.
5. Skill and Hobbies: It’s best that you write down both as the two will definitely help in terms of you acquiring the job. Make a list of all the skills and hobbies you have and do what you think the employer will want to learn about.
6. References: These are the people that the employers will contact to learn more about you and to verify the information you’ve provided in your resume. Make sure that these are people that you can trust before writing down their names and contact details.
7. Your Previous Works: Since we’re talking about a portfolio resume, it’s here where you’ll be wanting to show samples of your previous work.
7+ Portfolio Resume Samples
Free Resume and Portfolio and Resume Template
Free HTML5 Developer Resume and Portfolio
Size: 8.5×11 inches
Sample Resume Portfolio
Scandinavia Portfolio Resume
Web Designer Portfolio Resume
Work Portfolio Resume
How to Make a Portfolio Resume
Now that you’ve managed to learn what should be in a resume, then the next thing that you’re going to have to do is to learn how you should make one. It’s not enough to just know what should be inside a resume as there are still a couple of things that you have to consider to ensure that it’s able to present the information you want it to.
So here are the steps that will allow you to come up with a proper portfolio resume:
1. Make Sure to Properly Include Your Personal Information: Remember that it’s very important that you are able to provide the details of who you are and what it is that you should be doing. The first thing that you’ll need to do is to write down your complete name. Make sure that you are able to include your first name, last name, and middle initial so that employers will know exactly who they’re dealing with
Next is that you have to point out your contact details. Be sure to include both your phone number and your email address so that should you be chosen as a worthy candidate, you can guarantee that you’ll hear about the news.
And lastly, be sure to write down a brief introduction about yourself. It’s here where you’ll be talking about what it is that you’ve done and what you’re like. Just make sure that you don’t go too much into detail here as you’ll want to save the rest of the space for the other pieces of information that you’ll want to share.
2. Point Out Your Education and Job Experience: It’s here where you’ll be writing down what it is that employers will immediately be going through once they receive a resume. First, they’ll be going through your education to see if you’ve met the basic educational requirements needed to even do the job.
Remember to include where you graduated from, the year you graduated, and your current educational level. Also, it’s best that you include any academic achievements as that alone can potentially help you get the job.
Next is that you’ll want to share your work experience. If you haven’t had any previous jobs before, then point out projects or events that you worked on that’s directly related to the position you’re applying for. If you did have experience, then share information such as the names of the companies you worked for, the positions you held, and the day in which you started and left.
3. Share Your Skills and Hobbies: You’ll want to start out with your skills first as there are some jobs which require you to have a particular set of them in order to be considered for employment. It’s best that you only point out ones that you think are related to the job and will help increase your chances of getting hired.
Next is that you want to point out your hobbies. It’s here where you’ll be sharing what it is that you do during your spare time. This gives your resume a more human element as you don’t want to point out that all you do is work. Just share hobbies that you think are appropriate for the employer to hear.
4. Include Your Work Samples: Once you’re done sharing who you are and what you’ve done, the next is for you to point out what you’re capable of doing. It’s here where you’ll be sharing the work that you want to share. Let’s say that you plan on applying as a photographer for a certain company. Your portfolio resume should include samples of your work such as different types of pictures that will show your value as a photographer.
What you share will depend on the type of job that you’re using your portfolio resume to apply for. Just make sure that these samples are organized neatly and that everything looks orderly.
Types of Portfolio Resume
Know that there are a bunch of different portfolio resumes and that each of them can help you acquire different jobs. It’s best that you learn what they are so that you’ll have an idea as to which one you should make. So here are a few examples:
- Creative Portfolio Resume
- Architecture Portfolio Resume
- Minimal Portfolio Resume
- Personal Portfolio Resume
If you would like to learn more about the types that you can make, then simply go through our site to get the information you need.
Portfolio Resume FAQs
How Do I Make One?
The easiest thing that you can possibly do is to find the right Word program that has all the tools you need to help you. It’s all a matter of choosing what you think works best for you and the one that you’ll be comfortable with in using.
Is There an Easy Way to Make One?
Yes. You simply need to download a portfolio resume template, open it with the Word program that you’ve installed, and customize the template to contain whatever information you want it to have. There are templates that are available in this article should you wish to use them.
Although making a resume isn’t the hardest thing to do, it’s best that you learn how to ensure that you’re able to show your capabilities in an organized and well-made manner. So long as you make use of the information found in this article, then you shouldn’t have a problem in doing just that.