Sometimes when you set an appointment, you may end up missing it for one reason or another. While you never want this to happen to you, if it does, your best option might be to write a reschedule appointment letter to explain yourself and reschedule your appointment for later.
While appointment letter templates could help you try to reschedule, the most important thing to do at this point is to make a dedicated missed appointment letter to explain yourself. After all, there are any number of reasons why you should not have missed this appointment, hence the need to explain yourself to the other party.
Patient Missed Appointment Letter
Missed Dental Appointment
Missed Medical Appointment
Writing a Letter for Missing an Appointment
Like with an interview appointment letter, there are some steps for writing a missed appointment letter, which include:
- Start your letter by apologizing for missing the appointment. It is always rude to miss schedule appointments in the first place.
- Provide an explanation for why you missed the appointment. As the offending party here, it is on you to provide a reason for your absence.
- Offer an alternate date for a possible reschedule. If possible, you may still be able to salvage the meeting by offering an alternate date.
- End your letter by apologizing once more, as wasting another person’s time is a faux pas in any situation.
Functions of a Missed Appointment Letter
Different letters always have different functions, such as that between trainee appointment letters and missed appointment letters. In this case, those functions include:
- Apology, as the first and foremost concern of these letters is to apologize for the unexpected waste of time.
- Explanation, as you owe it to the other party to provide a clear reason for what could have occupied your time.
- Intentions, as your letter may also contain your intentions to make amends, or else your intentions to try again if the other is willing.
Missed Doctor Appointment
Missed Business Appointment
Missed Appointment Letter Sample
Missed Appointment Letter in PDF
Necessity of Writing a Letter for Missed Appointments
There are always several reasons for writing a letter like this one, as there would be for writing an appointment cancellation letter. After all, in the interest of basic etiquette, it is important to explain yourself to the other party who has presumably had valuable time lost. Some specific reasons why you ought to make such letters include:
- Etiquette, as this letter is your best means of making amends for missing the appointment in the first place. After all, simply leaving things as is without an explanation can only serve to make matters worse.
- Saving face, as you cannot have looked very respectable missing the appointment. Sending a missed appointment letter can go some way to performing damage control for the whole situation.
- Professionalism, as it would be professional and mature of you to take every necessary measure to try and fix your mistake. This also serves to prevent burning any bridges from your missing the appointment.
- Persistence, as you may still be able to salvage the meeting even if you missed it. A missed appointment letter can also be an attempt to salvage what you can of the situation even if it has more or less gone wrong by this point.
Like different appointment letter templates like doctor appointment letter templates, these particular templates can also be used in different situations, which you should keep in mind if you ever miss any kind of appointment.