Incurring expenses in whatever nature is inevitable in any business venture. There are indeed ordinary and necessary expenses that must be incurred to continue the daily operations of the business. In line with this, expense reports are made to produce a detailed document emphasizing the monthly, quarterly and an annual breakdown of the business’s expenses.
Writing formal reports is not that easy especially when you’re dealing with financial matters. Manually creating or formatting one is also time consuming on your end. For your reference, you can use our list of expense report templates and samples that you may use for your company or business.
Travel Expense Report Templates
Free Expense Report Template
Business Travel Expense
International Expense Report
Monthly Expense Reports
Monthly Expense Example
Monthly Business Expense
Advantages of Using an Expense Report
An expense report is not just a tracking tool. It comprehensively helps you manage your accounts and allows you to spot deficiencies. Aside from this, here are some other benefits of using an expense report.
- Can help you minimize fraudulent practices. Expense reports tracks and ensures that all expenses are recorded and used for appropriated and authorized purposes. By using them, you can easily discover and unravel possible inconsistencies brought about by fraudulent practices. Keep in mind that financial reports are critical in any business endeavor.
- Can help you justify claimed deductions for tax purposes. Ordinary and necessary business expenses are given different tax treatment. They are most considered as deductions in most countries. By consolidating them in one report, it would be easy for you to make your claims.
- Can definitely improve your documentation processes. By using an expense report, you can help streamline your reporting reimbursement procedures. If some of your employees were able to buy business-related expenses using their personal funds, expense reports is an avenue for you to take note of them. To add, there are also automated or electronic-based reports that you may also opt to make things more convenient.
Travel Expense Report
Annual Expense Report Templates
Sample Annual Expense
Annual Income and Expense
Business Expense Report
Kinds of Expense Report Templates
Your company may incur myriad experiences depending on the nature or type of business your company is in. Bear in mind that an expense report is a type of a business report. In line with this, there are a several kinds of expense report templates that you may use and look into.
- Travel Expense Report Templates – You can use these templates either for personal or business reasons. It allows you to track your travel expenses. There are various matrix you can use. The key components used are the pertinent dates, the description or purpose of the travel, the hotel you’ve booked and stayed in, the transportation expenses, the meal expenses, and other recreational expenses.
- Business Expense Report Templates – If you’re looking for elegant business expense reports, choose from our list of business expense report templates. It allows you to log in and document the expenses you’ve incurred either in a monthly or annual frequency.
- Construction Worker Expense and Income Report Templates – For construction workers, this template will provide you with the best of both worlds. You can track down both your income and expenses.
- Event Expense Report Templates – Regardless of the purpose of an event, the expenses incurred must be reported for liquidation purposes. Our templates here will allow you fill out an income and expense sheet. To add, there are also templates for event planning. It will show a sample breakdown of event expenses.
- Household Expense Report Templates – The provided templates allow you to take your of your daily or monthly household expenses. As you may observe the household expenses were subject to different categories for easy tracking.
These are some templates that you may use to manage your expenses. By using them, you can just do some minor customization and add your applicable details.
Business Expense Report
Expense Report Example
Construction Expense Reports
Construction Worker Income and Expense
Project Expense Report
Company Expense Reports
Company Monthly Expense
Company Travel Report
Sample Company Expense
Key Features of an Expense Report Template in Excel
Using an automated and electronic-based expense report is highly recommended. It is more efficient and easy to manage compared to the manual one. Here are some basics that you may observe in a MS Excel expense spreadsheet.
- Date – The date is very crucial in expense reports. You can counter check and monitor your expenses more by using them. For instance, in travel expense reports, dates are used for you to document clearly the travel activities you’ve conducted.
- Expense category tab – In your Excel interface, you will see an expense category tab which contain drop down options. This tab can help you categorize the type of expenses that you’re dealing with.
- Amount – An expense report would not be complete without an amount. In MS Excel, there are available formulas that you may use to calculate the respective amounts such as the total account balance.
- File attachments – This is an example of a collaborative feature in MS Excel. It allows you to store additional attachements or documents to futherr justify your expenses such as receipts, images, and invoices.
- Sharing – MS Excel also contains a sharing feature wherein you can directly share the spreasheet with your managers.
These are some features of MS Excel generated expense report that you can refer to. You can use them as a guide in making your own report.
Daily Expense Reports
Daily Sales and Expense
Daily Expense Sample
Daily Expense Format
Event Expense Reports
Event Income and Expense
Event Planning Report
Sample Event Expense
Household Expense Reports
Monthly Expense Report
Sample Household Expense
Sales Expense Reports
Blank Monthly Sales Expense
Direct Expense Report
Sales Expense Sample
How to Effectively Manage Your Company’s Expense Report?
There’s no reason why you should not manage your expenses. You and your company as a whole can reap favorable results by making use of expense reporting mechanisms. Here are some tips that you may use.
- Use an automated system. In dealing with financial matters, it is better to automate your system. Having an automated system makes it more convenient on the part of your accountants and financial managers. Aside from that, you can easily update and modify them from time to time.
- Foster employee involvement. In establishing a solid expense report system, you need to engage the participation and commitment of your employees. In line with this, you can come up with an employee expense reports to make your employees responsible to manage their company-related expenses. You must engage them and encourage them to make reports. In this way, your report- making will be comprehensive and participatory.
- Update your system. An expense report mechanism would be a waste of time if not regularly updated and monitored. To add, ensure that you designate reliable and qualified persons to consolidate your reports.