How to Create an IT and Software Policy in Google Docs
According to the website, Bizfluent, businesses having policies can be compared to societies having laws. Both policies and laws govern and create order. If you need to make a policy for your IT and software company, feel free to refer to our list of tips below for help.
1. Identify the Company’s Agenda
This agenda refers to issues within the company that needs to be addressed. This agenda serves as a reference for the policies. Gather details and check for any active directories, old procedure manuals, and existing group policies. If there are, use it as the basis for making an updated company policy.
2. Write an Outline of the Policy
Since policies and procedures are legal documents, writing one requires utmost care and presence of mind. This is why writing an outline first is greatly recommended. This will not only keep your content focused on the agenda, but it will minimize the risks of committing mistakes.
3. Ensure that Supervisors Review and Verify the Outline
Another way to ensure that your content is correct and is addressing the agenda is by having it reviewed by your supervisors. Even though everything in your outline is correct, supervisors might want to add more information to the policy.
4. Stick to the Standard Policy Format
Whether or not you’re using Google Docs to create your company policies, what’s important is that you stick to the standard format. One example is using “must” or “will” in the content instead of “should,” and italicizing words that require emphasis instead of underlining them. If you don’t know the standard format, read about it on the internet.
5. Get Your IT and Software Policy Approved
Last but not least, get your policy approved by the management. Even though your supervisors have already reviewed and verified the outline, obtaining their approval is still a must to fully legalize your policy. If there are sections that require their signatures, politely ask them to sign over their names.
What is an IT and software policy?
An IT and software policy is a document that lays out the terms that every employee in the company should observe. Basically, it’s just like any other company policy, but this one is specifically for IT and software industries.
Why are policies important?
- Policies serve as a reference for employees to check if they are performing according to expectations.
- Policies can help protect an employee against legal issues.
- Policies direct employees on where to go if they have concerns about the job.
- Policies signify that the company is complying with the state’s laws.
What should a policy contain?
- Policy title.
- Policy statement.
- Rationale and definitions.
- Company procedures.
- Policy history and the corresponding revision dates.
What are the advantages of having workplace policies?
- It reminds employees to behave and perform according to what’s expected of them.
- It provides the company with a consistent and firm response when dealing with situations.
- It ensures fair treatment among all employees.
What are some examples of policies that a company should have?
- Health and safety policies.
- Equal opportunity policies.
- Code of conduct policies.
- Disciplinary action policies.
- Leave of absence policies.