There will come a time where you are going to have to provide detailed information regarding a particular subject matter. You need to think about things like the what it is that you to look into, why you have to look into it, and what information you have to provide.
One tool that can contain all of that would have to be a report. This article is going to teach you all that you need to know in regards to how you should go about creating a proper report.
Elements of a Report
Should you be required to come up with a report, know that there are a few basic elements that you must never forget to include. They are what’s needed in order for the document to provide all of the details one needs to learn about a specific subject matter.
So with that, here are the basic elements that you must include in every report you make:
1. Title: No matter what kind of report you end up creating, it is very important that you come up with an appropriate title. The reason for this is because the title alone can tell readers as to what the report could possibly contain. When making it, you have to make sure that it is directly related to the report’s purpose. For example, let’s say that you are making one specifically for taking down details on an event that has yet to or has already taken place. Perfect titles would be something like “Company Event Report“, “Business Event Report”, etc.
2. Basic Information: It is important that the person who is responsible for creating the report places his/her basic information in it. This is because it is entirely possible that the person who receives the report will want to know the identity of the person who made it. So be sure that you provide your complete name as well as other details such as your job title or contact information.
3. Subject Details: No matter what kind of report you end up creating, there will always be a particular subject that will be focused on. It is very important that you are able to share all of the details regarding the subject of the report. What details you will need to provide will depend entirely on the type of report that you have to make. That means you will have to know exactly what type you have to make to give you an idea as to what details you are going to have to include.
10+ Report Templates in Excel
Simple Project Expense Report Template
Business Expense Report Template
Monthly Management Report Sample
Weekly Sales Activity Report Template
Monthly Sales Activity Report Template
Monthly Financial Report Template
Company Monthly Report Template
Sales Activity Report Sample
Monthly Operations Report Template
Simple Expense Report Template
How to Make a Report
The next thing that you are going to have to learn is how you should go about in creating your report. Remember that a report can only do what it is supposed to if it has all of the information that it needs. It is your responsibility to ensure that you come up with a proper report, meaning that you are going to have to learn how to properly make one.
So knowing that here are the steps that will allow you to come up with an effective and professional report in Excel.
1. Make use of an Excel Program: Should you decide to create a report in Excel, it should be obvious that you are going to have to make use of an excel program. Know that out of all the available ones that you can find and make use of, it is Microsoft Excel that has been generally accepted as the program of choice for making excel documents. While you can choose to use the other alternatives, it is best that you stick to Microsoft Excel. Once you have the program installed, be sure to do the following:
- 1. Open up Excel.
- 2. Click on the “File” tab and select “New”.
- 3. Choose if you would like to start with a New sheet or if you would like to make use of a template.
- 4. Proceed to fill up the rows and columns with whatever information you want to put in it.
You may choose to use the same process to create other types of documents in excel.
2. Create your report: Now that you know how to make the document via Excel, you still have the responsibility of ensuring that it has all of the information that it needs. So here are the things that you are going to have to do:
- Understand the purpose of the report: Before anything else, it is very important that you understand the purpose of the report that you are going to make. This is because knowing what the report is for will help you understand exactly what details you must put into the document. Not only that, but it should also tell you exactly what kind of title you should come up with.
- Create an organized table: Should you wish to make a report in Excel, then you must consider how you are going to arrange the table in which you will be storing the information. Think about categorizing the different pieces of information so that you can easily arrange everything in a manner that is easy to understand.
- Always point out who it’s meant for: No matter what kind of report you end up creating, you must be able to point out specifically who it is for. That way, you can guarantee that the document makes its way to the right hands. Make sure to provide that person’s complete name, as well as any other details such as that person’s job title and even his/her department of origin.
Tips for Making a Report
- Think about the format: As you are making your report, you have to think about the format that you are going for. The reason for this is because you want readers to perfectly understand what it is that you’ve put into the document. So what you are going to have to do is to think about what kind of font and font size you are going to use, as well how you will go about in arranging the information in your report. You can make use of the many different samples of reports that you can find online or on our site and use them as references.
- Check to see if there is anything you have to correct: No matter what kind of report you decide to create, you have to make sure that it doesn’t lack any important information. Not only that, but you also have to see if the information it contains is all accurate. To avoid any mistakes, it is best that you go through the entire report to check and see if there is anything that you may have missed to include or if there is anything that you have to change.
Types of Report
Now that you know exactly how you should go about in making a report, the next thing that you need to learn would be the different types that you can create. Take note that there are many different types that you can create as there are also many different topics that one can report on. Knowing these types will ensure that you make the right one when needed. So here are a few examples:
- Marketing Report
- Company Report
- Sales Report
- Weekly Operations Report
- Incident Report
- Analytical Report
- Business Report
- Financial Report
If you like to learn more about the different types of reports, or if you want to learn about different types of documents, then you simply need to go through our site until you find the articles that can provide you with whatever it is that you need.
What is the easiest way of making a report?
If you are planning on making one, then know that the easiest way of doing that is by using a template. Considering that there are many different types that you can choose from, this shouldn’t be a problem. Just choose the one you want to use and then make whatever changes you think are necessary. If you like, you can use the ones that are available on our site.
What other formats can I make my report in?
Other than making it in Excel, you should know that there are other formats that most people would prefer. A good example would be Word as a majority of programs can open it and it has been generally accepted as the standard format for nearly every type of document.
Making a report may not seem all that difficult, but you are going to have to properly learn how to create one if you want it to be able to serve its purpose. So be sure to go through all of the information in this article properly so that you won’t have to worry about the effectiveness of your report.