10+ Inventory Templates in Excel
There are many different companies that handle a large amount of goods. Considering that they need take note of what has been sold or the items that have yet to be sold, they must find a way that allows them to easily keep track of the numbers.
This is where an inventory document comes in handy as it can help them know how much of a particular item is still in their storage. This article is going to teach you all that you need to know in order for you to be able to come up with your own inventory form.
Elements of an Inventory
When it comes to making an inventory sheet, you are going to have to learn the basic elements. You are going to need them if you want the document to be able to serve its purpose: Help you and others keep track of all the items that are supposed to be kept an eye on.
So knowing that here are the basic elements that just about every inventory should have:
1. Title: If you are going to make an inventory sheet, then you should know just how important it is that you are able to come up with an appropriate title. The purpose of this is so that you and any other person who goes through the document will know exactly what it’s for. You need to make sure that the title is directly in line with the inventory sheet’s purpose. For example, let’s say that you have to keep track of all the items that will be up for delivery. A good title for that would be “Stock Inventory” or you can go with others that are similar to it.
2. Date: There might come a situation where you will be required to prove when you created the inventory sheet. This means that you must always provide the date of its creation. Make sure that you are able to include the month, day, and year so that there won’t be any questions regarding “when”.
3. Basic Information: All inventory documents will need some form of basic information, but what kind will depend on the type that you have to make. Some will require you to place the basic information of a company, others will need that of the person responsible for doing the inventory, and then there are those which need both.
4. Item Details: Every inventory sheet will have a list of items that you need to keep track of. You must guarantee that everything that you placed into the list must have all of the required details. For example, there have to be proper item descriptions as well as the amount of the quantity of each item.
10+ Inventory Templates in Excel
Simple Inventory Template
Data Inventory Template
Gift Inventory Template
Grocery Inventory Template
IT Inventory Template
Landlord Inventory Template
Office Inventory Template
Product Inventory Template
Shipping Inventory Template
Stock Inventory Control Template
How to Make an Inventory in Excel
Now that you know the basic elements of an inventory sheet, the next thing that you are going to have to learn is how to make one. It is very important that you not only learn what should be inside of the document have but also how you should go about in making it an adding any additional information that allows it to serve its purpose.
So knowing that, here are the steps that will allow you to come up with a proper inventory sheet:
1. Use Excel: If you want to be able to come up with an inventory sheet in Excel, then that obviously means that you will need to make use of an Excel program. Given that there are many different types that you can use, it’s a matter of personal choice as to which one you should go with. However, it is best that you stick to Microsoft Excel as it’s generally considered as the standard program for making any kind of Excel document. Should you decide to use it, then make sure to do the following:
- Open Up Excel.
- Select “File” and then “New”.
- Choose if you would like to make an inventory sheet by starting with a blank sheet or if you want to make use of a template.
As you can see, it’s a pretty simple and quick process. If you like, you can use the same method to help you make other types of documents in the Excel format.
2. Make Your Inventory Sheet: Whether you’re using a template or making one from scratch, you need to be aware of the information that should be in the document. Although knowing the basic elements will undoubtedly be very handy here, you still have to make sure that you include other important pieces of information as well. With that being said, here is a list of the things that you must do:
Know the purpose of the sheet: Again, you are going to need to know the purpose if you want to come up with an appropriate title for your inventory sheet. Also, knowing what it’s for will give you an idea as to what items and details you must include.
Include the necessary information: If you want to make sure that the inventory has all of the information it needs, then you are going to have to provide the following:
- Item description: This will tell you exactly what type of item is on the list. Make sure that every item has its own accurate description so that there won’t be any issues.
- Item quantity: Be sure to include the number of items that you need to be able to keep track of in the list.
- Unit price: There are times wherein you will have to include the individual price of every item that is on the list. Know the exact unit price of every individual item before typing or writing it done.
- Comments: There are instances wherein inventory sheets will have comments regarding certain items. This could be to worn about quality concerns or if there’s an upcoming shipment. Regardless of the reason, if the sheet calls for the additional information, then be sure that it has it.
Tips for Making Inventory
- Look into the information you’ve put into the document: The last thing that you want to do is to put in any information that isn’t needed. So in order to avoid that, you are going to have to check and see if there’s anything that you have to correct. Doing this can also help you out when it comes to adding any information that you think is missing. Be sure to do a thorough check to avoid any issues in the future.
- Go with a proper format: If you are going to make an inventory sheet, then you have to make sure to consider the format that you want to go for. What this means is that you need to think about the font and font size that you are going to use, as well as how all of the information should be presented. Go with the one that will make the information in your inventory document easy to understand and read. If you like, you can make use of the many different samples of inventory sheets in our site or online and use them as references.
Types of Inventory
Now that you have managed to learn what should be in an inventory document and how you should go about in making one, then the next step is for you to learn about the different types. Know that there are different inventory documents that help you keep track of different types of items. Knowing what kind you can make will help you figure out which one to create for the appropriate situation. So here are a few examples:
- Sales Inventory
- Computer Inventory
- Commercial Inventory
- Equipment Inventory
- Stock Inventory
- Building Inventory
- Material Inventory
- Home Inventory
- Software Inventory
Should you wish to learn about the other types of inventory documents that you can make, or if you want to learn about other documents aside from ones that help you keep track of inventory, then you simply need to go through our site until you are able to acquire the information you need.
How am I able to keep track of everything?
As you’ve just made your inventory sheet, you must take into account all of the items that should be on the list. Make sure that you are able to come up with a chart that allows you to properly organize and categorize every single item that you have to put into the sheet.
Is there an easy way to make an inventory sheet?
Yes. You simply need to make use of a template of the type of inventory document that you want. Make sure that you make the necessary changes until it has all the information you want it to have. If you like, you can make use of the templates available in this article.
Although making any inventory document may seem difficult, it’s actually a very simple and easy process. So long as you make use of the information in this article, then you shouldn’t have to worry about making one.