10+ Inventory Templates in Word
There are people who are required to keep track of the number of items that they have in storage. No matter what purpose these items are for, knowing exactly how much there are or if there’s anything missing or lacking will always be very handy information.
One of the most helpful tools that can definitely aid in the task of item management would be an inventory document. This article is going to teach you all that you need to know in order for you to be able to come up with one.
Elements of an Inventory Template
If you want to be able to come up with an inventory document, then you are going to have to learn about the basic elements first. You need to remember that the point of doing inventory is so that you can keep track of useful information such as the number of items, what these items are, or even comments about their quality. So basically, you need to know what should be in an inventory document so that you’ll know how to make one.
So with that, here are the basic elements that just about every inventory document should have:
1. Title: No matter what kind of inventory you end up making, you must never forget to include the title. This is what will tell readers exactly what it is that you are trying to keep track of. The title that you come up with has to be directly related to the purpose of the document. For example, let’s say that you need to take note of all the equipment that’s in storage. The title of the document used to help you with that should be something along the lines of “Equipment Inventory” or anything else that’s similar.
2. Basic Information: There are times wherein you will have to provide the name of the company to whom you’re taking inventory for, or you will have to provide information of the person doing the inventory. Sometimes, it can be both. In any case, you will need to put in the basic information such as the names, addresses, and possibly job titles. Just make sure to know what it is that you have to place.
3. Date: This is important as you’ll want to point out exactly when you’ve managed to do the inventory. This can help in the event that you have to prove the number of items in storage on that day or for other situations that require you to tell when you did the inventory.
4. Item Details: This is where you will need to provide all of the details regarding the items that you have listed down in the inventory sheet. Make sure that you point out things such as item descriptions or the amount of each unit that is in storage.
10+ Inventory Templates in Word
Gift Inventory Template
IT Inventory Template
Office Inventory Template
Landlord Inventory Template
Stock Inventory Control Template
Simple Inventory Template
Product Inventory Template
Grocery Inventory Template
Data Inventory Template
Shipping Inventory Template
How to Make an Inventory in Word
Although learning the basic elements of an inventory sheet is in itself useful, you are still required to learn the steps that will allow you to properly make one. It is very important that you know exactly what it is that you need to do to guarantee that whatever type of inventory sheet you come up with is able to serve its purpose.
So with that, here are the basic steps that will help you come up with a proper inventory sheet:
I. Make use of a Word program: If you are going to make any kind of inventory document in Word, then it is important that you are able to install and make use of a Word program. Know that while there may be a wide variety of Word programs that are available, it is best for you to use Microsoft Word. The reason for this is because it’s generally easy to utilize and that it has become the standard program when it comes to making any kind of document in Word. If you decide to use it, then be sure to do the following in order to create your inventory sheet:
- Open Microsoft Word.
- Click on the “File” tab.
- Select “New”.
- Choose if you would like to start from a blank document or if you want to make use of a template.
As you can tell, the process of making one in Word is fairly quick and easy. If you like, you can make use of the method to help you come up with other types of documents other than an inventory sheet.
II. Make your Inventory Sheet: Whether you decide to make use of a template or if you plan on making one from scratch, it is very important that you put in everything that the inventory document needs. Yes, the basic elements will come in handy, but there are other pieces of important information that you may have to include in the document. So knowing that, here are the things that you have to do:
1. Know the purpose of the inventory sheet: Again, knowing the purpose will help you come up with an appropriate title for the document. Not only that, but it will also give you an idea as to what items and information you should put into the inventory sheet.
2. Provide any of the necessary or additional details: When it comes to making an inventory sheet, you must be sure to include all of the information that it needs to help you keep track of certain items. Be sure to put in the following when needed:
- Item Descriptions: This is something that must always be present as you’ll need it to point out exactly what items are listed in the sheet.
- Item Quantity: Again, this is something that must also be present in the inventory sheet as you need to keep track of the amount of each individual item.
- Unit price: Certain inventory sheets will require you to put in the individual price of every item that you put int the document.
- Comments: There are some inventory sheets wherein you will need to comment on the quality of certain goods or if there are any problems that need to be looked into. Make sure to have space wherein you or someone else can place these comments.
Tips for Making Inventory
- Always check if there’s anything missing: Before you finalize anything in your inventory sheet, you are going to have to see to it that you did not forget to include anything important. It is always best for you to do a double-check to see if there’s anything that you may have forgotten or if there are pieces of information that you will need to change.
- Go with a proper format: If you want to make sure that the information in the inventory sheet is readable and understandable, then you are going to have to come up with a proper format. This means you need to think about what font and font size to use, as well as how you are going to present the information. If you like, you can check out the many different samples of inventory sheets that you can find just about anywhere online and use them as references.
Types of Inventory
Now that you know what should be in an inventory sheet and how you should go about in making one, the next is to learn about the different types that you can make. Knowing what they are should tell you about their purpose, as well as give you an idea as to which one you should create for the appropriate situation. So knowing that, here are a few examples:
- Building Inventory
- Material Inventory
- Home Inventory
- Computer Inventory
- Commercial Inventory
- Software Inventory
- Sales Inventory
If you would like to learn about the other types of inventory sheets that you can make, or if you want to learn about other documents, then you simply need to go through our site until you are able to get all of the information that you need.
How can I always keep track of inventory?
Given the technology that we have today, it should be easy for you to simply transfer your inventory sheet file into any mobile device that you carry around with you. From there, you can simply access it whenever you wish to do so. However, do not forget to have a physical copy with you at all times as you will never know when a situation calls for it.
Is there an easy way to make an inventory sheet?
Yes. You simply need to download a template and then proceed to fill out all of the blank spaces or replacing the dummy text with the information you want. You may choose to make use of the templates that are available in this article should you wish to do so.
Although creating the inventory sheet may sound easy, there are times where one might forget the necessary steps that would have made for an effective one. So make the most out of the information presented in this article so that you won’t have to worry about making a proper inventory document.