Have you ever encountered any untoward occurrence? If you did, were you able to do something about it? In the event that any untoward incident happens, it is necessary to draft an incident report immediately after the event has taken place.
An incident report is a type of document where the details of any unusual event is recorded. Any injury or harm to a person caused by the unusual event shall be included in the record too. An incident report templates can also be an accident report, which when necessary can lead to the filing of a police report to get legal authorities involved. If you need to draft any of the aforementioned documents, you can scroll down our list of templates for reference.
Incident Report Template
Blank Incident Report Template
General Incident Report Template
Free Incident Report Template
Free Simple Accident Incident Report Template
Security Incident Report Templates
Hotel Security Incident Report
Data Security Incident Report
Bank Incident Report
Employee Incident Report Templates
Employee Injury Incident Report
Employee Behavior Incident Report
Employee Performance Incident Report
School Incident Report Templates
Elementary School Incident Report
High School Incident Report
School Bus Incident Report
Incident Management Report Templates
Project Management Incident Report
Property Management Incident Report
Incident Reporting and the Common Questions About It
An incident report is a document that would help correct any dire situation, preventing it from occurring again. It can be used in several situations.
Types of Incidents
Health and Safety Incidents
Health and safety is one of the main reasons an incident report is created. With regard to health, incident reports include any accident a patient was in, such as a fall. Because of this, the patient needs to be monitored from time to time.
Injuries and illness that badly need to be included in the incident reporting are as follows:
- Illnesses that require immediate treatment
- Serious lacerations that require emergency attention and medication
- Loss of some bodily functions from: head injuries; serious burns; spinal injury; eye injury, etc.
- Various infections
Below is a list of dangerous incidents that could cause serious life risk in the work place:
- Uncontrolled explosion, implosion, or spillage of any hazardous substances
- Substance leakage that may lead to an explosion or a fire
- Electric shock or short circuits
- Air ventilation interruptions
Why is it necessary to report an incident?
- Reporting an incident is necessary because it can prevent that particular occurrence from happening again.
- An incident report is very helpful in terms of the claiming benefits from insurance policies and health benefits. In these cases, proper documentation of the unusual circumstance is a must as it is needed to validate the claims of the insured.
- Reporting an incident is necessary because it helps to understand the gaps, mishaps, and other lapses that may have lead to a certain circumstance.
When is the best time to report incidents?
Reporting incidents must be done immediately after any unusual occurrence, even if it may appear to only be a minor incident. It is extremely vital to document the incident as soon as possible as people must take an incident seriously.
The reason for that is there is a possibility that even a minor incident could get worse if immediate attention is not given to it. If there is no incident report documented, it might be very difficult for someone to prove that it happened in a specific place.
Whether these incidents happen at work, in school, or even when you’re walking around a city, nothing must be taken for granted.
Accident Incident Report Template
Construction Accident Incident Report
Vehicle Accident Incident Report
Behavior Incident Report Templates
Employee Behavior Incident Report
School Behavior Incident Report
Student Behavior Incident Report
Construction Incident Report Templates
Construction Site Incident Report
Construction Safety Incident Report
Customer Incident Report Templates
Customer Service Incident Report
Customer Complaint Incident Report
Incident Report and Investigation
Unusual events may or may not result to injury or harm to a person. However, in the event that an injury and/or illness occurs, investigation is the next procedure and is a must. After all, an immediate reaction to a specific untoward event is a good sign that a company adheres to its employees’ health and safety.
The Investigation Process
- Before beginning an investigation, a medical treatment or first aid must be administered to the injured person.
- First thing to do is to call and gather all the relevant people investigate the incident.
- Identifying and gathering all those who witnessed the event. This is followed by an interview with each witness.
- Documenting the scene of the injuries comes afterwards. This is done with the use of videos and photos.
- The investigation report must be completed. From this, investigators determine the cause as well as the implications of the incident together with the corrective measures to be implemented to prevent its recurrence.
Things to Include in the Investigation Document
The investigation of an incident is very critical and crucial to the well-being of the parties involved. Therefore, proper documentation and preparation is a must. Below are the important details that need to be included in the investigation document:
- The details of those people involved in the investigation, sometimes referred to as the participants, of the incident need to be gathered. Those involved include the injured worker, witnesses to the event, immediate supervisor of the injured party.
- Another thing to look for in the document are the things that gets investigated. This could refer to any event that resulted in serious damage to property or equipment during work hours, or serious injury obtained by the worker.
- Various information to collect is needed such as:
- the victim’s characteristics including the name, age , gender, experience, job title, tenure in the company, training records
- description of the injury and the parts of the body that was affected
- narrative and the sequence of the events (location of the incident, complete progression of the event)
- characteristics of the equipment and the task associated with the incident.
Emergency Incident Report Templates
Medical Emergency Incident Report
Emergency Response Incident Report
Emergency Management Incident Report
Equipment Incident Report Templates
Medical Equipment Incident Report
Equipment Damage Incident Report
Equipment Failure Incident Report
Medical Incident Report Templates
Medical Office Incident Report
Medical Assistant Incident Report
Quality Incident Report Templates
Quality Assurance Incident Report
Quality Control Incident Report
Quality Incident Report Format
Risk Incident Report Template
Operational Risk Incident Report
Risk Management Incident Report
Must-Know Things about an Incident Report
If you happen to be one of the people who encountered a specific incident, then it should be considered now as your responsibility to write an incident report. Incident reports are like academic reports as both of these types of reports require several details when creating it.
Importance of an Incident Report
- An incident report is considered a must because it helps in reviving the patient’s or the victim’s memory of the incident. However, since a person’s memory isn’t all that reliable, an incident report can preserve the facts. This would give the investigators the ability to tell between the actual details and hearsay any hearsay.
- Incident report is also very important because it activates rapid response to the risk managers and authorities who is held responsible in reviewing the incident. It also alerts those people in the working place, the administrators and those in the higher ranks. In that way, they will be able to determine proper precautionary measures.
- Incident reports do not only provide vital information just because it is needed to further the investigation about a particular unusual event, but also helps determine whether a certain facility or institution should proceed with a particular decision. It merely affects the decision making of the persons in the place where the incident happened.
The following are the things that one should consider in creating an incident report:
- Do include the names of the persons involved in the incident, including the witnesses of the event.
- Do write any the factual events that happened. Do not be flowery or figurative in describing the incident. Tell it as it was.
- Do attach additional information. Make sure that they are relevant enough and must coincide with the particular event.
- Do write immediate actions taken in the particular event.
- Incident reports must be descriptive. It should not create an impression of being evaluative.
- When narrating the particular incident, it should be done in a chronological order. This is to make sure that there is a clear picture of what really happened, thus providing a better understanding.
- When mentioning a specific person’s name, it should follow the last name, first name, middle initial order.
- Don’t use nicknames for the persons involved in the incident
- Don’t rely too much on abbreviation
- Don’t delay any documentation
- Don’t falsify and use your opinions in the report. It must be facts-based.
In writing an incident report, it is important that one should know the proper procedure they need to follow in order to come up with one. A person who is going to write such document should know exactly what to include and what not to include.