Are you a business owner or manager who wishes to increase your profits, create a positive brand identity, and get a loyal customer base without having to spend much on advertising? If yes, then let us suggest to you the use of digital or printed coupons.
With millions of consumers looking for more cost-effective buying options each day, your store, brand, or establishment will stand to gain an advantage by making service and product coupons available for your customers. And in this article, we share to you how to design your own coupons. We’ve also included multiple coupon templates in InDesign that you can easily download and use.
A coupon is any document that entitles its holder a freebie or a predetermined discount when buying a product or service. As an entrepreneur, it is your duty to ensure that these small printed or digital advertising coupons are as information-rich and as memorable as possible. This way, there will be an increased chance that the coupons will be redeemed and for customers to enjoy your products and/or services.
And to do this right, you first need to orient yourself with the core elements or qualities that make an effective and special coupon design. We have listed these elements below so be sure to read and study them.
1. Persuasive Ad Copy: The best coupons will include an engaging sales copy. Tailor-fit your coupon wording with the type of business, product, or service you are selling. Use words that stimulate their senses and spurs them into action. For example, if you are making a pizza coupon for your restaurant, try adding the words crispy, tasty, or sizzling into the few descriptions you’ve included in the coupon.
2. Good Visual Hierarchy: Customers are more likely going to use a coupon if they can readily understand its content. And an organized visual hierarchy makes this possible. Arrange all the text and image elements used in a logical manner. This means formatting the coupon’s call to action in a larger font while formatting the terms and conditions in finer print.
3. Engaging Call To Action: Entice more customers by using power words in your call to action. A few examples are “Sale!“, “Limited Offer“, “Now“, or “Free!“. Remember, an effective business discount coupon is one that readily spurs a customer into action but this required action should not require a lot of effort on the part of your customer/s.
4. Typography Design: One way to increase the readability of any design is by choosing clear and bold typefaces. With the right font sizes, formatting, and kerning, your coupon design can easily transform into a highly readable printed document that your customers do not need a magnifying glass to read the coupon’s terms and conditions.
5. Paper Quality: Another core design element that makes any blank coupon more memorable is the quality of the material it is printed on. Choose thick paper or cardstock when printing coupons since they are more durable. High-quality printing materials are also more suitable for color printing.
Embedded below are downloadable coupon templates in Adobe InDesign file format. Review each template design carefully until you find a template that suits your business needs.
Are you ready to start creating your own coupon design? In the next few paragraphs, we are sharing a step-by-step guide on how to design awesome coupon designs.
1. Decide on what type of coupon to make: There are as many types of coupons as the number of establishments that need them. Choose one that best fits your brand identity.
2. Write or commission an engaging sales copy: After that, come up with an engaging and persuasive ad copy. Choose your words carefully as this can affect how a customer reacts to the coupon. You may also hire a professional copywriter if you want to have a high-impact coupon ad copy.
3. Buy and save relevant images and/or font styles: If you want to include original pictures in your coupons, download and save them into one folder in your computer. This applies to other stock photos, illustrations, and font styles that you want to incorporate in your design as well.
4. Or, download a pre-made coupon template: Alternatively, you can also download a printable coupon template. These templates are pre-formatted and you will no longer need to create a coupon design from scratch. Multiple examples are embedded above.
5. Start editing the template: Next, open Adobe InDesign or other compatible software programs and start editing. If you are using a printable template, start by replacing all the text placeholders with your own ad copy. If you are making your own coupon template design, start with a blank template and begin combining your own coupon design elements.
6. Proofread the template design: After making all the template customizations, it’s time to take a step back and have another person evaluate the design. Look for image inconsistencies, typos, and grammar lapses. Correct these errors if necessary.
7. Finalize the coupon template design: After proofreading the printable template, save it in a flash drive or on your computer. You may also send it to your local print shop’s email address.
8. Print out the coupons: At last, it’s time to print your coupon templates. Use high-quality paper. You may have to cut out each coupon if multiple designs are combined in a larger sheet of paper.
9. Start distribution: Do not forget to come up with a coupon distribution strategy. You may hand them out like printed flyers to passers-by or you can give one coupon to each customer that visits your store.
There is no standard printing size for coupons. In this article, most of the free and premium coupon templates follow these printing sizes:
A coupon template in InDesign is a pre-formatted design file made using Adobe InDesign. It contains all the placeholders, text, images, layout styles, and font files needed for making a coupon design.
To make more distinctive coupon designs, it is best to include most of the following pieces of information:
Use all the design tips and free templates shared above in creating the best coupon design for your business or organization. For more information on how to create different kinds of business and graphics templates, check out the rest of our site.