6+ Wedding Photography Contract Templates
Photographs have gained so much strength, what with photography skills and combined with the best technology. Seasoned photographers have experimented with different kinds of tools, lenses, and cameras for years. There never was an end to what they can do with a camera and every snapshot tells a different story. You may also see Contract Templates.
Elements of a Wedding Photography Contract
Photography is a tricky business, especially if you pick events as your specialty such as weddings for example. Every couple has a dream when it comes to a wedding, especially a bride. They have big expectations. And the person they hire would work hard to make that dream possible. On both ends, if the expectations are not met properly, the disappointment can turn to frustration. One thing you can do to avoid issues and disputes before and after the big day is to set your terms in writing, through a contract with the following elements:
1. Client information: This comes first on all business contracts and usually includes the most basic information about your clients such as name, email address and phone number, with no extra frills added, especially if the contract involves just one other person or party. The same information should be included for weddings.
2. The scope of work: This is pretty self-explanatory but it’s also where your usual photography contract templates differ from wedding contracts to some extent. However, you still have to include what you promise to deliver. Would there be prints? Do the couple get a copy of every snapshot, including outtakes? It’s also your chance to include side benefits such as a complimentary engagement shoot to on top of the actual service.
3. Fees: Photography is probably one of those jobs where a lot of business models in varying degrees are involved. It depends on what type of photographer you are and how you want your services delivered for a specific charge. You may prefer to offer a session for a good price where you also hand the disc or USB drive to the client containing all the images or charge them with the session price with everything else included and an additional fee for the digital images which can come as optional to the couple.
4. Special requests: You may have a wedding shooting session where the photos can’t be used online for a variety of valid reasons, with one of them being time constrained or that it could take forever, which is why we highly recommend this section to be included on the contract as it gives you extra protection as well as your client.
6+ Wedding Photography Contract Template
Wedding Photography Contract Template
Wedding Photography Contract Template
Photographer Contract Template
Photographer Contract Template
Sample Photography Contract
Wedding Photography Contract
Wedding Photography Contract Sample
Steps in Writing a Wedding Photography Contract
Regardless of the type of event you were asked to cover or shoot, having a photography contract signed by both you and the client ensures that everything is set clear and kept on record in the event either of you have questions regarding the session or project, what it entails and what you both are bound to. Here are some steps you can follow for writing a simple wedding photography contract:
1. Detail the date for the session: While it may be obvious for a lot of couples to have their shoot on the day of the wedding itself, others may want a pre-wedding or engagement shoot. Include the calendar date, day of the week, and your target start and end time. In case of a whole day assignment, you may want to indicate your meeting place or location with the client for the shoot.
2. Write what the service entails: Never assume that the client automatically understands a photographer’s routine and the nature of his job. You can do a break down for explaining your location, hours of the shoot, the number of times you have to meet and a contingency plan if necessary.
3. Itemize products and services: It is your responsibility to detail the scope of your service and everything it includes as well as its limitations. Make a list of what the client gets for the fee you’re charging them. Photographers usually give the client a package to choose. At times it can include the photographer’s time, mileage, printed proofs, digital copies of the images, finished prints, etc. You can also add a statement regarding the purchasing of various tools and props such as prints and when the client should expect them.
4. Provide a price quote: A photographer, especially one that works freelance should have a price quote for the service being offered in the contract. Your quote should explain added charges and fees for overtime, applicable tax as well as deposit statements, cancellation fees, payment method, and payment due dates. You may need a separate sheet for this, which you can attach to the contract for a detailed price list or break down, especially if you’re going to include copyright fees for the photos, depending on your agreement with the client.
Tips in Creating a Photography Contract
You’ve probably seen it before. The successful wedding photographer, the one who gets the most bookings isn’t necessarily the same one who has the best camera or equipment, but the one who is well versed with treating photography both the business and the art that it is. Here are two helpful tips in creating winning photography contracts for weddings:
- Include a model release: Most photographers would want to take advantage of wedding images and extend to using them for their work portfolio and for advertising purposes. A model release will be necessary as a written permission included in the contract.
- Consider bookings: If you want to be as comprehensive and organized, add a few other inclusions such as future bookings and refunds for travel expenses, schedules for sessions and a stipulation on exclusivity for the wedding shoot if you want to make sure you’re the sole photographer and that you won’t have to work with somebody else.
Types of Business Contracts
There are a few types of contracts in business which covers the usual relationships that most businessmen and a lot of freelancers have with clients, individual parties or contractors. While the following contracts may be simple and pretty self-explanatory most of the time, if you’re unsure about which one to use, you can read on or consult an expert:
- Independent Contractor Agreement: The federal government has strict requirements for finding out whether a business relationship is employee-employer or with an independent firm. Once you agree to provide a particular service (in this case a wedding photography service) or complete a certain project, you will likely need an independent contractor agreement which outlines the terms and conditions for the task.
- Nondisclosure Contract: Non-disclosure agreements provide a business owner legal status in times where a service provider or independent contractor, and in some cases, an employee shares a propriety or private and confidential company information.
Wedding Photography Contract FAQs
How do I make sure I book the best wedding photographer?
You do not want to settle with calling them alone or making a deal online and meeting them on the day of the wedding. You have to discuss your plans with them. This way, the photographer would also be able to check what you want and so they can evaluate the type of photos that would go well with the kind of wedding and the kind of couple you are.
What would the likely budget be, for getting phenomenal wedding photos?
On average, in the country, couples spend about $2300. If you want to get a person who is more advanced, it can cost you twice as much.
Getting an agreement in writing for one of the most important days of your life is something you shouldn’t miss, on top of being able to plan the big day well. Everyone can have a day to remember but take it one notch higher by making sure you have photographs taken by a reliable professional who will make sure that this moment is captured well enough to show to your children, grandchildren, and something that, just like your marriage, would be for keeps.