Let’s say that you took part in a big meeting and that you need to take note of all the things that happen within it. That means everything from the people that are involved as well as the information being shared will need to be recorded as you or someone else will most likely want to recap what took place.
A perfect tool that can help out in that particular situation would be a memo. This article is going to teach you all that you need to know in order for you to be able to come up with a proper memo.
Elements of a Memo
When you have to create a memo, you should know that there are a couple of basic elements that you must never forget to include. The reason as to why you’re going to have to make sure that they are in every memo you make is because, without them, the document will not be able to do what it is supposed to: Provide you or anyone else who reads it with information regarding specific events.
So with that in mind, here are the basic elements that just about every good memo template will need:
1. Title: Every memo will need a title as that is what is used to let readers know about the memo’s purpose. You have to make sure that whatever title you come up with is directly related to the purpose of the document. For example, let’s say that you created a memo specifically for taking down information about a particular business meeting. You’ll want the title to be something like “Business Meeting Memo” or anything else that’s similar.
2. Names: Majority of the memos you make will have at least one or two names that aren’t going to be yours. But no matter what kind of name you end up putting into the document, you have to make sure that you write them down fully. What this means is that you are going to have to include the first name, last name, and middle initial of whoever you decide to type in or write down into the memo.
3. Date and Time: These two pieces of information are especially important for memos that need to take down information on certain events such as business meetings. When putting in the date, be sure to include the month, day, and year. As for the time, including the exact minute and hour. That way, there won’t be any concerns regarding the “when” aspect.
4. Item Details: Regarding the information that you want to share with someone who you’ll be passing the memo to, you have to be sure that you’re able to explain everything clearly. This means that you’re going to have provided clear explanations as well as all of the details one would need to know regarding an event/situation that you covered in the memo.
14+ Memo Templates in Word
Sample Memo Template
Cash Memo Template
Research Memo Template
Action Memo Template
Formal Memorandum Template
Sample Memo Template
Professional Memo Template
Business Memo Template
Business Meeting Memo Template
Free Meeting Memo Template
Board Meeting Memo Template
Sample Meeting Memo Template
Staff Meeting Memo Template
Internal Memo Format
Free Internal Memo Template
How to Make a Memo in Word
Now that you have managed to learn what it is that should be in a memo, the next thing you will need to do is to learn how to make one. Knowing the basic elements isn’t enough as there are other things that you will need to consider to guarantee that the memo is able to do its purpose.
So knowing that here are the steps that will help you come up with a proper memo in Word.
1. Download, Install, and Use a Word Program: If you’re going to make a memo in Word format, then you’re going to have downloaded and installed a Word program. Know that the most common one being used until this day is Microsoft Word as it’s relatively easy to use and has been generally understood by most as the standard Word for creators.
Once you have installed Microsoft Ward, be sure to do the following:
- 1. Open the program, and click on “File”.
- 2. Select “New”.
- 3. Choose if you would like to start from a blank document or if you want to choose a template.
- 4. Proceed to make your memo.
As you can see, making one in Word is relatively easy. Also, you can use the exact same method to create other types of documents should you wish to do so.
2. Proceed to Provide the Necessary Details: If you don’t plan on using a template, then that means you will be creating a memo from scratch. This means that you have to make sure that all the information that a memo should contain is there. What you’ve learned about the basic elements will definitely come in handy when doing this. However, there are still things that you need to do to ensure that the memo has everything that it needs. So be sure to do the following:
- Understand the purpose: If you want to be able to come up with an appropriate title as well as ensuring that the memo has the information you want it to present, then you are going to have to ensure that you know about its exact purpose. Again, knowing what that is will help ensure that you know what the memo is supposed to share, and guaranteeing that you know what information you should place within it.
- Provide details about yourself and when the memo was created: Those who are going to read the memo will want to know exactly who is responsible for making it, as well as details regarding its creation. So what you’re going to have to do is to put in your complete name, as well as the date in which you created the document.
- Put in the information details: Depending on the type of memo that you’re supposed to make, you’ll have to put in specific pieces of information. Again, knowing the purpose of the memo will definitely help out with this. So what you are going to have to do is to know exactly what details you are going to have to include. Should you provide names? What about the objectives? Should you also include specific dates and time? Just make sure that you know exactly what you should be recording to ensure that the memo has everything that it needs.
Tips for Making a Memo
- Come up with a good format: If you want your memo to look both presentable and professional, this means that you’ll need to know what kind of format you should go with. What this means is that you will have to carefully consider what font and font size you’ll use, as well as how you position your paragraphs or how you’ll use bullet points. You can always check out the many different samples of memos that you can find online or on our site and use them as references for your own.
- Always check for mistakes: Before you finalize your memo, you have to guarantee that you haven’t made any mistakes. The last thing that you want to have happened is providing the wrong information. So to avoid something like that from happening, you’ll need to do a thorough check to see if there are any corrections that you need to make. Proofread and edit your memo properly so that those who read it will easily be able to understand what they’re reading, as well as see that you took the time to polish the document.
Types of Memos
If you are going to make a memo, then you should know that there are a number of types that you can create. While some have similar uses, there are those that are used for different purposes. Knowing what these are should give you an idea as to what you should make for the appropriate situation. So knowing that, here are a few examples:
If you would like to learn more about types of memos you can create or if you want to learn about other documents, then you can always go through our site until you get the information that you want.
Memo Template FAQs
Is Word the only format a memo should be in?
No. You can choose to go with formats other than Word should you wish to do so. However, take note that the majority of memos are in Word format simply because it’s what most people are used to as well as the fact that making it in Word is generally easier.
Is there an easy way to create a memo?
Yes. You simply need to download a memo template as well as install a Word program. Use the program to open the template and make all of the necessary changes. If you like, you can make use of the templates that are already available in the program or you can use the ones available in this article.
Making a memo may not be difficult, but you still have to make sure that you are able to make it well. So long you make proper use of the information in this article, then you won’t have to worry about the quality of whatever memo you end up making.