A sugar skull, or calavera in Spanish, is a representation of the human skull in an artistic form or manner. They are mainly associated with the celebration of the Mexicans’ Day of the Dead. Physically, calaveras are usually made out of clay. They use to symbolize the dead and the life that they have lived while they are still on Earth.Interesting symbol, right? Maybe that kind of interest is what brought the idea of putting calavera on the body parts of people through a tattoo. It is now a very famous object done in this kind of body modification. Aside from a sugar skull, we have other tattoo designs you might want to check for inspiration.
Floral Sugar Skull Tattoo
Watercolor Sugar Skull Tattoo
Mexican Sugar Skull Tattoo
Traditional Sugar Skull Tattoo
What is good about a sugar skull as a tattoo is that it is totally open for customization. You can add your own touches to make sure that it is not generic and is truly personal. Here are a few suggestions on how you can add up little touches to your skull candy tattoo:
- Use floral objects. You can add different flowers either on the sugar skull itself or at its sides. It can add up a certain vibe especially on the kind of flower/s that you are to use.
- Put it on fire. A burning sugar skull is also famous as a tattoo object nowadays. Just add flames on the design and you can already put your sugar skull on fire.
- Go tribal. Aztec and traditional patterns may also be added to the tattoo for a different feel.
- Add wings on the sugar skulls. Go wild with the things that you can add to your sugar skulls. Having a sugar skull with wings as a tattoo can be quite cool, don’t you agree?
- Customize parts of it like its eyes. You can use flowers, or hearts, or diamonds, and any other objects that you may want to replace the position of the eyes of your sugar skull.
- Use dripping paint effects. A more artistic way of a sugar skull interpretation is to add touches of paint on it.
- Have a theme. You can get a fully customized sugar skull as a tattoo if you put a lot of smaller details into it. You can select a circus or even a certain scene to be displayed at your sugar skull for more individuality.
Other than sugar skulls, we have samples of 3D Art Tattoos and Geometric Tattoos as well.
Skull Tattoo Design with Roses
Inspirational Sugar Skull Tattoo
Clean Sugar Skull Tattoo Design
Vintage Sugar Skull Tattoo Design
Sugar Skull Tattoo on Legs
No matter what the design of your sugar skull is, make sure that it fits your personality and how you see yourself as a person. It should not take away your own individuality just for it to have its own. Let the designs to be applied on your sugar skull come from the items that you also want or believe as a person.Remember that you can not just remove it easily once it is already inked in your body. Try browsing through our samples and sketch one for your own use based on the templates that we have provided for you. This way, you can assure that the sugar skull that you want truly is a representation of yourself in a tattoo.