By definition, a report is a document, a record, or an account that is made with the purpose of disseminating information or narrating events in a presentable outline usually written, spoken, or in a form of a video presentation. There are many types of report samples, and each of them requires a specific format as shown on this page. They can also be based on the period in which the report is made for such as annual reports or monthly reports.
Report Outline Template
Performance Report Template
Management Report Template
Below, we have curated some of the most commonly used report formats in business or academics for anyone to download and use according to whatever suits your needs. We made sure that these templates provide you with the basic format of reports based on the correct industry standards. So, feel free to browse through this collection because here at Template.net, we guarantee to give you what you really need.
Corporate Report Template
Summary Report Template
Acknowledgment Report Sample Template
Project Report Format
What Do Reports Consist Of?
The structure of a technical report varies differently based on how they are supposed to be used. Although there are no exact rules on how to draft your reports, you have to make sure that the elements included are of relevance. Here are some elements that most reports consist of:
- Title page. This part contains the title of your report, the name of the author, and the date or period of evaluation.
- Abstract. This gives the overview of the report, along with the conclusions as well as recommendations.
- Introduction. This is the part where you explain the reason why the report is being made. (See Report Templates.)
- Body. This is the main section of the report divided into several sections with headings and subheadings.
- Conclusion. This part draws out the significance, relevance, or implications of the findings from the existing system.
How to Draft the First Part of the Report
The first part of the report usually provides the problem and the overview like in an Internal Audit Report. In order to draft it, you have to have an idea of the overall content of your report. Make sure to identify your readers and determine the purpose of the report. This will guide you to formulate specific questions and plan the necessary research report to do to answer these queries. Having that in mind, you can draw out hypothetical but valid conclusions and decide on what recommendations to make.
Business Report Format
Annual Report Format
Daily Report Format
Evaluation Report Format
How to Write a Great Report
In order to write a good and effective report, you should take note of the following non-avoidable things:
- A report should be systematic and well-organized document, therefore, it must always be accurate, concise, clear, and well-structured.
- Although there is no standard format in report writing, you must include the general sections such as the ones mentioned above.
- Just like most of the Report Templates presented on this page, they should be written in sections with headings and subheadings.
- There are different formats in writing a report, so you have to determine the context of your report so you can decide on the right format to use.
For more ideas, you can check our collection of Expense Report Templates available on our business archives.
Formal Report Format
Financial Report Format
Internship Report Format
Monthly Report Format
Medical Report Format
Why Are Reports Important?
There are many reasons why reports are essential both in businesses or any organizations. Like the status report templates, the report samples on this page can be used for the following purposes:
- It is an effective means of information and communication within the organization.
- It provides guidance and feedback to members that are related to the matter or problem.
- It is a source of reliable data which can be a basis for planning and decision-making processes.
- It can disclose unknown information which may give new opportunities or solutions to problems.
- It can also be used to evaluate processes or employee performance toward self-improvement.
How to Finalize a Report
Even if you’re using the report samples from this page, it is important that you check on these certain aspects of your report before finalizing it:
- General layout
- Text organization
- Grammar, spelling, and punctuation
Also, you have to make sure you did the following:
- Use clear and concise language, instead of jargon and nonstandard colloquial language.
- Develop each paragraph sufficiently and write in fairly short sentences.
- Your report should be impersonal, aside from the conclusions and recommendations.
- Take note of the verb tenses you use and always write in an active voice.
While you’re here, take a look at our collection of School Report Templates here at Template.net.
Marketing Report Format
Top 13 Tips for an Effective Report Format
Even though reports may have different structures, there are some things you need to consider in order to create or choose an effective report format.
- The titles or headings should be formatted so that it stands out and is easy to read.
- Use design to make the purpose of your report clear by highlighting taglines or captions.
- Choose colors, photos, or images that will draw attention and emphasize major sections.
- Distribute the contents of your page so that it is easy to skim and find topics of interest.
- Choose the type, color, and size of fonts that has a good contrast with your background.
- Use visuals such as charts or images to enhance the appeal and reinforce your content.
- Make sure they reflect the subject matter of your report and not just for decorative purposes.
- Use plenty of headings and subheadings so it is easy to navigate and pick up the main points.
- Keep the general page layout consistently in order to orient people and facilitate skimming.
- The formatting of titles, headings, bulleted lists, and labels should be the same throughout the report.
- Create simple charts and graphs that are attractive as well as easy to understand.
- Keep your layout clean and organized and use consistent justification and maintain alignments.
- Put your symbols, legends, and other essential reference material in a prominent position.
This page’s report samples in PDF format allows you to edit the contents and details of each template to make sure that you are able to follow and apply the tips mentioned above. Also, don’t forget to see the Project Report Templates we have for more examples of this specific type of report.