When you are running a business, you constantly deal with a number of customers and clients every day, usually for various reasons. It is important to always handle every detail that is associated with the business transaction no matter how minute those details are. And since a majority of us have different work schedules and routines, as an entrepreneur, you need to find a way to constantly and effectively maintain business transactions with your customers and clients. A great way to achieve this is through the use of work order forms.
What Is Meant by Work Order
According to an article that is published in Wikipedia, ” a work order is usually a task or a job for a customer, that can be scheduled or assigned to someone. Such an order may be from a customer request or created internally within the organization.”
This essential business document has two major functions. It can be used for contracting and manufacturing purposes. Its definition can vary depending on how it is used.
The Business Dictionary says that when a work order is used for contracting purpose, it becomes “a written order from the customer providing specific or blanket authorization to the contractor to proceed with the performance of the contract without further instructions“. On the other hand, when it is used for manufacturing purposes, it will mean “an internal authorization to incur costs in the designs, development, and production of a specific product.”
It is basically a type of business document that presents essential information about the items and/or services that provided by the vendor or supplier to a client. Work order forms can be printed on a piece of paper or an online document which you can download on the Internet. This document contains essential elements that will guide the person or group of people who are tasked to complete the work order. The information that is found in the form helps them know what the clients or customers want done or delivered.
Depending on the work order of the client, such information can be the number of units to be delivered and other essential details that relate to the units like the shape, size, color and other vital options. Let us take for instance, a work order is generated when someone wants to have his or her computer fixed or upgraded or when you want the supplier to deliver you a new set of supplies to your business.
Purpose of Work Order
While there are some businesses who think that furnishing work order forms for their clients and customers are a just a total waste of time, it is important to understand that a work order is a great and effective tool that allows relevant departments in your company to track the individual projects, as well as properly manage all the resources to help complete the projects.
In this section, we will provide our readers with a clear overview of the various purpose of a work order and how it can benefit the company:
- It helps provide a clear explanation of the problem (why it requires repair or installation)
- It gives the company time to schedule the tools and resources required for maintenance.
- It provides detailed instructions for the technicians or repairmen about the project or work to be performed.
- It is used as a tool to record the names of the person who performed the work, as well as the materials and resources that are used to complete the project.
- It allows you to easily monitor the overall repair and maintenance work that has been done on each project.
- It lets you track the inventory on WIP.
- It gives you an update on the status of the work order.
- It updates raw components, materials, and finished products inventory levels.
- It allows you to calculate the product cost.
- It allows customers and clients to easily provide specifics on the goods and services.
Key Components of a Work Order Form
It is important to understand that information written in each work order depends on the specified assets how the repair and/or maintenance should be performed. It also includes the required specifications of the particular asset and a clear description of the problem that has occurred. And since the complexity of the asset or product can vary, it is vital to know the five crucial components of a work order form. You can find the components below:
Name of the Client
It basically includes the full name of the client or the business entity, its physical address, contact details, and email address.
Often located in the header’s portion, the company details should include its contact details, business logo and the address of their company.
The work order form includes a list of different tasks that are essential to complete the project. While some work order forms include only a single task as simple as checking the battery or installation of an air condition unit, others include tasks that involve a more complex procedure.
The materials mean the inventory items needed to carry out the work order. For simple installation tasks, all the inventory items are managed within Maintenance Connection, while larger companies may require external third party system to interface their inventory template.
Depending on the complexity of the project, a single or multiple labor resources can be assigned in the work order to complete the task. Using the work order assignments, you can clearly specify the time duration period.
The additional tools that are required to carry out the project are also recorded on the work order form, as well as the location in which the tools are stored. Such tools may include a power drill, hammer, screw drivers, batteries, goggles, and gloves.
Miscellaneous or Other Costs
When the company rents a piece of equipment to use for the completion of the work order, the date the project is completed, work order number, remarks, and the date the work order is issued.
Sample Work Order Form Templates that You Can Download and Use as Reference
Work order templates have been widely used in different companies that offer products and/or services to their customers and clients. One of the greatest benefits of using these types of templates is the consistency it brings in collecting information and other essential details. Hence, it is a powerful tool that promotes a clear and effective communication when customers pass them to stakeholders.
Example Format Template for Events Work Order Form
Service Work Order Request Form Template Word Download
Editable Repair Work Order Template PDF Format
Graphic Design Work Order Form Sample Example Format
Garage Repair Work Order Template Sample Example Download
Design Work Order Form
Sample Work Order
Order Form for Construction Job
Work Order Request Template for Building Maintenance
Inspection Work Order Template Excel Format
Difference between a Work Order and an Invoice
A work order form and an invoice are two the most important paper works that are used in assigning and paying different projects. However, there are people who are working in the business world who do not know the difference between a work order form and an invoice. Oftentimes, these terms are used interchangeably. That is why in this section, we will provide our readers with essential information on how a work order is different from an invoice.
- A work order is a written document made by a customer to request for specific items or services from a business entity while an invoice receipt is a form of billing that is usually sent by the vendor to the vendee requesting payment for the goods and/or services sold.
- A work order is used when a vendee wants to purchase something from the vendor, while an invoice is generated whether the goods and/or services are rendered.
- A work order is also called as purchase order; while an invoice is also known as a purchase invoice.
- A work order form contains essentials information such as the name and physical address of the customer, work order number, request date and expected delivery date, the method of delivery, payment terms, job description, price per unit, applicable taxes, subtotal and total cost, and authorized signature. An invoice template includes the vendee’s name and address. invoice date and number, unit cost, applicable charges, discounts (if possible), payment terms, due date and total price.
Having a work order forms allows you to easily and conveniently monitor the projects or tasks through the use of the work order number. Being able to consistently track the progress of the tasks is a vital part of your business operation process as it allows you to effectively make employee schedules, as well as supplies, and resources accordingly. Moreover, when it comes to using work order in your business, there are several sample service order templates that you can download and use as references. Using the templates that are provided above, you can easily make instant changes when you want to add more materials or you want to change work agreement.