The meaning of accessibility is known by all but it has a much deeper meaning when discussed in the context of the web and technical world. This concept of accessible design or actions that are taken for accessible development ensures direct access as well as indirect access which means to make it compatible with a person’s assistive technology. All this information has to be stored somewhere so it is written down in an accessibility statement to make the users aware of the information related to an application’s accessibility.
What is an Accessibility Statement?
Whether a person is disabled or completely normal, everyone should get equal access and opportunity while using the internet or any other websites. There would be no need for accessibility statements if every website was completely accessible for all. But till the time when this wish gets fulfilled, you can publish a statement that will help people with disabilities and make the most out of the internet. This statement is known as an accessibility statement that is published by organizations on their websites to outline their policy, goals, and accomplishments that are related to web accessibility.
What to Include in an Accessibility Statement?
Even though accessibility statements may vary depending on the different organizations or websites, some common elements must be included in an accessibility statement.
- There must be a firm commitment to accessibility for people with disabilities and must also include the accessibility standard.
- Accessibility statements in Word must consist of the exact contact information for those users who may encounter some issues.
- It must mention any known limitations beforehand to avoid making the users frustrated over them.
- It includes the measures that are taken by that particular organization to ensure accessibility and also include any technical prerequisites like supported web browsers, etc.
- It also consists of the environments in which the content has been tested or evaluated whether it works properly or not.
- It can also include some references to applicable national or local laws and policies.
22+ Accessibility Statement Templates in PDF | DOC
1. Module Accessibility Statement Template
If you have been given the responsibility of making an accessibility statement for a security module, then make sure you go through this professional module accessibility statement. This module statement in Google Docs describes the accessibility attributes that are supported by the IMS security module. Some of the accessibility limitations or some criteria that are not supported are also mentioned in this document.
2. Supplier Statement of Accessibility Template
A statement of accessibility includes certain instructions that explain how to use specific accessibility technology that is available on the website. It also mentions how to contact the organization if a disabled user starts experiencing some problems. This template consists of a supplier statement of accessibility capacity that describes the level of supplier’s accessibility capacity along with some brief comments to support the statement. You can also check out our statement templates in Pages format.
3. Suggested Accessibility Statement Template
Educational institutions must be open for all students with diverse learning styles and needs. If the student is disabled, then they must be given access to the syllabus to make it through all the examinations. An accessibility statement must be created to let those students know that they can feel free to approach the organization if they require any accommodations.
4. Coffee House Accessibility Statement Template
5. Credit Accessibility Statement Template
6. Accessibility Policy Statement Template
7. Website Accessibility Statement Template
8. Twitter Accessibility Statement Template
9. Resorts Accessibility Statement Template
10. Technology Accessibility Statement Template
11. Bank Accessibility Statement Template
12. Global Accessibility statement Template
13. ProQuest Accessibility Statement Template
14. Standard Website Accessibility Statement Template
15. Online Accessibility Statement Template
16. Sample Website Accessibility Statement Template
17. Security Accessibility Statement Template
18. College Accessibility Statement Template
19. Revere Bank Accessibility Statement Template
20. Simple Accessibility Statement Template
21. Accessibility Statement Example
22. Web Accessibility Statement Template
23. Accessibility Statement for Surrey Environment
Why is an Accessibility Statement Important?
There can be several reasons why accessibility statements can be important. It helps in showing the users that you care about accessibility and the particular organization. Accessibility statement also helps in providing information about the accessibility of your content. These statements demonstrate a commitment to accessibility as well as social responsibilities.
An accessibility statement helps in informing the disabled visitors or users that they are welcome on the website and that the organization gives a commitment to making the website available to everyone.
Identifies Accessibility Standards
There are certain standards for web accessibility known as Website Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG). Other standards may also be used by some organizations that will guide accessibility, for instance, Section 508 Standards are mostly applied to federal agencies.
Provides Accessibility Goals
It is with the help of accessibility statements that disabled visitors get aware of the areas on the website that are not accessible for the users. The statement mentions accessibility problems on the website, other options or alternatives to gain access as well.
Determines Accessibility Accomplishments
The statement also described the individual standards that are met by the website. It is necessary to point out where a disabled visitor can find interim solutions like downloadable scripts in case an organization is moving toward complete accessibility.
Where to Put an Accessibility Statement?
It is quite easy to find accessibility statements. It is linked to several places, such as from the help menu, footer, sitemap, and other prominent areas that will help users to find them. An accessibility statement can be given consistent link names to help users recognize them easily. This will include those link names that are present across the content of your website, mobile applications and other groups of relevant websites or applications.
In the end, we hope that this article may have given you a useful high-level overview of accessibility statements and shown you why is it important, and looked at how you can fit it in your workflow. It is always better to take precautions rather than waiting for some problems to come up, therefore, it is wise to mention the required information related to the accessibility of the website.