A powerful tool that helps in providing you with a path for success and permits you to say no to the things that are distractions. It could either be a sentence, a paragraph or an essay that explains your purpose in life or in a company. Your statement may change over time but it will be providing a clear description of who you are and your overarching goals.
11+ Personal Mission Statement Templates in PDF | DOC
1. Personal Mission Statement in PDF
2. Personal Mission Statement in PDF
3. Personal Mission Statement Activity
4. Personal Mission Statement Example
5. Sample Personal Mission Statement
6. Developing a Personal Mission Statement
7. Personal Mission Statement Assignment
8. Personal Mission Statement Worksheet
9. Personal Mission Statement Worksheet Sample
10. Personal Mission Statement for Student
11. Personal Vision and Mission Statement
12. Personal Mission Statement in DOC
5 Steps to Develop a Personal Mission Statement
Step 1: Identify the Successes in the Past
You can spend some time identifying some examples where you have experienced some personal success in recent years. These successes may be anything related to work, in your community, at home, etc. Note them down and try to identify whether there are any common themes related to these examples.
Step 2: Determine the Core Values
Make a list of features that you believe will identify who you are and what your priorities are. The list can be as long as you need as you can include all kinds of features on the list. Check if you can narrow your values down and chuck out five or six values that will be the most important ones.
Step 3: Recognize the Contributions
List the ways that will help you in making a difference. Mention how you can contribute to the world in general, your family, your employer or future employers, your friends or your community.
Step 4: Identify Your Goals
Take your time and think about your priorities in life along with the goals you have for yourself. You can divide your goals based on short-term and long-term duration. Make sure that your goals are achievable and relevant and not just mere dreams which you dream about but are impossible to achieve.
Step 5: Write the Statement
Lastly, you can begin writing your mission statement based on the first four steps and a better understanding of yourself.
Why is a Personal Mission Statement Important?
It is not just a saying but a fact that words have power, power to change your mind and soul. And when it comes to achieving your goals and aspirations in life, writing down your long-term goal will make you proactive in every situation of life. It is common to think about the short-term objectives while making a decision but we all know that a person who succeeds in life is the person who thinks about the future. Having a mission statement provide a well-planned procedure to achieve your goals and makes you a determined person as you will have a clear end goal in mind.
Questions You Must Answer While Writing Your Personal Mission Statement
You just cannot pull out a meaningful personal mission statement out of thin air. There are certain questions that you can begin asking yourself that will help you move closer to creating one without much hassle:
1. What is important to you? Think about what or whom do you value the most and how is your life connected to those things?
2. Where do you want to go? This can be answered in many different ways. The answers may be provided in any context as in spiritual, mental or physical. You can also describe your career arc.
3. What does the “best result” mean for you? Answer this question based on how you think about your best possible outcome in the future. It is alright if you start dreaming because it is good to think long-term and obviously, turn your dreams into reality.
4. Ask yourself about how do you want to act or how do you want people to describe you? You can think about some words that you would want to come to mind when people think about you.
5. Do you want to leave a legacy behind? If yes, then what kind of? Think about what kind of impact you have left behind? Imagine yourself in the future and try to answer this question.
You can note down the answers to these questions and keep reviewing them often. Start giving your mission statement a shot, as you continue thinking about them.
Few Guidelines For You
1. Keep it brief and short. This is something that you can sum up in a single sentence. Keep in mind that this is about focusing your life on what matters the most! Setting some boundaries will help you keep that focus and keep you on track.
2. Don’t miss out on the others. Although this is a personal mission statement, you cannot forget about the people you want to impact or influence in your life.
3. Get the opinions and feedback from the important people in your life about your statement. It can be your spouse, your mentor, your friend or your family member. You may get some invaluable insight from them.
4. It is alright to make some changes. Your mission may evolve or change during the time to grow and continue learning new things. It is natural. Make sure, you are staying true to the mission and know your goals even though there might be some changes in the plan.
It has been observed that the most successful people have their personal mission statements. As these help in reflecting the big mission they have for their life and how they want to achieve them. If you want to make your new year a meaningful year and start a new chapter laying down a foundation for lifelong success and start making your mission statement right away. No matter which position you are in right now, you would immensely benefit by investing your time in noting down a long-term goal that you want to achieve.