How to Write a Promotion Recommendation Letter
As mentioned above, managers don’t always notice your hard work. This is also mentioned on the website, Glassdoor, in which someone has to speak up for the employee to be recognized. But instead of doing it verbally, we have instructions below to help you write an impressive recommendation letter.
1. Keep the Tone Positive
Job promotions are indeed worth celebrating, so make sure to incorporate a positive tone in your letter. Highlight the employee’s best traits and attributes throughout his or her tenure. In other words, try your best in selling the employee to ensure that they do get promoted.
2. Start with an Introductory Paragraph
Like any other formal letter, your recommendation letter should also start with an introduction. Acknowledge yourself and the person who you think deserves a promotion. Furthermore, give a short overview as to why he or she should be promoted.
3. Provide Other Details and Specifics
After the introduction and the overview of the employee’s performance, you can proceed to explain in detail his or her credentials and accomplishments. Make an outline narrating the work ethic and skills that the employee possesses. You can also mention concrete examples to prove your point.
4. Refer to the Job Description
One of the purposes of job descriptions is to be the basis for training and promotion. Increase the value of your letter by referring to the job description of the said position. Match the skills and abilities of the employee with the prerequisites. Also, take note of the keywords used and incorporate them into your recommendation letter.
5. Sound Hopeful When Closing Your Letter
When writing the closing paragraph of your professional letter, make sure to sound hopeful or enthusiastic. This will give the impression that you are sincere with your request and that you really hope that your colleague gets merited for his or her performance. Also, don’t forget to write your contact details in case the manager has concerns or clarifications.
What is a promotion recommendation letter?
A promotion recommendation letter is a written document that an employee submits to the management to recommend someone for promotion. This document describes thoroughly the work ethics and performance of the employee that make him or her deserving of the promotion.
What is the ideal length of a recommendation letter?
Ideally, the recommendation letter should be concise and not exceed one page. But if you were to ask about specifics, it should be between 2 and 3 paragraphs with 300 to 400 words.
What should you know about job promotions?
- The promoted employee will have to deal with different tasks and responsibilities.
- Promotions involve an increase in salary.
- The promoted employee can expect to gain more knowledge and learn more skills.
What should you take note of to determine if someone deserves a promotion?
- The employee should exhibit a commitment to his or her work.
- The employee should know how to boost the team’s performance.
- The employee should be exceptional enough to show that he or she is capable of solving business problems.
How should one request for a job promotion?
- Learn more about the higher position.
- Gather concrete information that makes you or another employee deserving of the promotion.
- Write a letter and explain how you (or another employee) can contribute to the company under the new position.