Lending money is a risk that can be lucrative, if done right. Promissory notes, a statement that the borrower makes to the lender to pay the borrowed amount in full with interest at a specified time, is the legal instrument you can hold on to should the borrower fail to fulfill his financial obligations. If you are the borrower, you’ll need to draft a promissory note, especially if you are borrowing from an established institution such as a bank or a school.
Here we handpicked for you a select number of promissory notes that you can download for free. These are in .doc, .docx, and .pdf formats that you can open and edit in Word, or your preferred word processor, with the details specific to your needs.
Simple Promissory Note Template
Sample Interest Promissory Note Template
Sample Discount Promissory Note Template
Sample Master Promissory Note Template
Sample Demand Promissory Note Template
Sample Secured Promissory Note Template
How to Write a Promissory Note
Whether you’re tasked to write a student loan promissory note, a bank loan promissory note, or a commercial promissory note, we got you covered. We also have blank promissory note templates for when you cannot find the right kind of note in our compilation. Here’s how to write a legally binding promissory note:
- State the date on which the promissory note was written on the top part of letter.
- State the amount of the loan both in numeral and spelled-out form.
- State the payment terms. Specify if the payments are to be made in a weekly, monthly, or quarterly basis. State the due date of the first payment in month, day, and year.
- State the interest rate, both in numeric and spelled-out form. Also note whether this rate is fixed or variable.
- State if the note is secured or otherwise. If there is a kind of collateral involved to secure the note, this must also be mentioned.
Sample Commercial Promissory Note Template
Business Office Master Promissory Note
Sample Blank Promissory Note Template
Sample Personal Loan Promissory Note Template
Sample Payment Plan Promissory Note Template
How to Use Our Promissory Note Templates
- Browse through the list for the kind of promissory note you are looking for. The list features a wide array of promissory notes, whether you are addressing it to a bank, a school, a business entity, or your next-door neighbor. We also have blank promissory notes for when you are not sure what category your addressee belongs.
- Click on the the Download button beside the note of your choice. These are free, and you don’t have to sign up for anything.
- The file you just downloaded is a zip file, so you’ll need to extract it to finally get to the .doc, .docx, or .pdf document.
- Modify the phrases and clauses as proper to the terms you and the lender have agreed.
- Print and send.
If you’re the lender and wish to turn over your rights on the note to someone else, you may draft an assignment of promissory note. An assignment of promissory note is a legal document used to transfer whatever rights the payee has over the note to an assignee. We have a compilation of professionally drafted assignment of promissory notes also available for download—free!