10+ Chart Templates in Google Sheets
Charts are the jack-of-all-trades when it comes to data visualization tools. After all, just with the right type of chart and the right chart design, you are free to express and simplify any otherwise complicated datasets or lengthy pieces of information.
In this article, we will teach you just how to do that starting with a short list of the top design elements that make any chart design work. We further reinforce these core elements with real-life free examples of chart templates in Google Sheets format that anyone may download and use for their own projects. Are you ready to start learning?
Elements of A Good Chart
A chart is any graphic representation of the relationship between ideas, variables, or any piece of information that can be compared with each other. A well-designed chart is one that is visually effective in establishing this relationship (or lack thereof) among these things.
But it is in this area where most chart-makers fail at. For you to avoid this pitfall, we are sharing the top five elements that you may use to transform any chart design. Study each characteristic well so that you can begin integrating them into your own document designs.
1. Organized Layout: A chart that follows a clean and organized layout is easier to read and comprehend. All its text and visual elements should be arranged in a logical manner without overwhelming your reader’s eyes.
2. Clear Labels: Another key element to a readable and effective chart design is the use of clear labels. The x- and y-axis variables (especially when making bar graphs) should be identified correctly as they are essential in creating meaning to what the chart is for.
3. Accurate Descriptions or Captions: In addition to incorporating clear labels, an effective chart should also come with accurate descriptions or captions. Keep these explanations concise and direct to the point.
4. Readable Typeface Choice: Another way to make any chart design easier to understand is the integration of good typeface style. Choose easy to read font styles and pay attention to their size, spacing, and overall style. To illustrate, if you are incorporating a Gantt chart for an important work presentation, use clean bold fonts. Do away with cursive fonts as they look unprofessional and are difficult to read from afar.
5. Attractive Color Scheme: To make any chart design even more compelling is intelligent use of color. With the help of a color chart, choose a color combination that helps your chart stand out without upstaging the content of your chart design.
By keeping all these design elements or qualities in mind, you will end up with a much better chart design. When done right, you will also have created a chart design that is easy to understand and allow you to express your views or showcase your knowledge with conviction and credibility.
10+ Chart Templates in Google Sheets
When you check out any of the free and premium chart templates in Google Sheets file format below, you are introducing yourself to an easier and complication-free report-making and record-taking life. Each printable template is fully customizable so this means you may tailor-fit them to match your business or organization’s needs.
Behavioral Chart Template
Basic Gantt Chart Example
Comparison Chart Template
Flow Chart Sample
Goal Chart Template
Organizational Chart Example
Pert Chart Template
Project Management Gantt Chart
Sample Gantt Chart Template
Simple Monthly Gantt Chart Template
Weekly Gantt Chart Template
How to Create an Excellent Chart
Whether you are creating your own chart design or you are using a pre-made chart template, knowing the proper steps on how to go about the chart-making process is still important. This is why we have prepared a step by step guide on how to create your own chart designs.
1. Determine what type of chart you wish to make based on the kind of information or dataset you wish to simplify.
2. Obtain all the raw data needed for the chart and save them in a separate file folder.
3. Compile all the graphic elements, header designs, layout styles, and text placeholders.
5. Start a blank template and combine all the design and text elements into a readable chart design.
6. Alternatively, you may download and use a pre-formatted chart template.
7. Make all the template changes until you are satisfied with the design.
8. Save the final chart design and embed this to your project, written report file, or other documents.
9. Or, print out the chart design if you need a physical copy of the chart.
What to Write in a Chart
Effective chart design is one that contains comprehensive information and still looks appealing. The previous part of this article provided tips on how to make any chart design better. While in this portion of the article, we have listed down the most important pieces of information that any chart should include.
- Branding elements (if creating charts for a business or organization)
- A clear list of variables
- Proper labels
- Concise explanations or captions
- Accurate ratio and proportion (when creating pie charts or bar graphs)
- Bibliography (or link) of the study or research findings that generated such results or generalizations
Types of Charts
Shared below are different types of charts based on the information they represent. Each chart type redirects to a few examples of downloadable chart templates.
What is a chart template in Google Sheets?
A chart template in Google Sheets is a pre-formatted document file used for making chart designs. It will contain all the necessary layout styles, typography, images, color palettes, and formatting instructions needed for making a chart design. Templates created using Google Sheets may be exported and edited using other spreadsheets and word processing software programs like Microsoft Word, Excel, and Apple Numbers.
Are organizational charts and flow charts the same thing?
From afar, these two charts may look like the same thing. But that is where their similarity ends. Flow charts are used to represent a set of steps or the sequence of actions needed to complete a process or action.
An organizational chart, on the other hand, only shows the hierarchy or relationship of objects, persons, or variables in relation to each other. This type of chart is typically used as a visual representation of the structure of a company, business, or organization.
For more comprehensive how-to guides on creating different types of business documents and graphics templates, make sure to check out the rest of our website. You may also learn more best practice tips on creating various kinds of design templates by reading our blog at Template.net.