Every process has actions and steps that need to be done before they can be completed. A business usually has many different processes that sometimes, employees find it difficult to remember what it is that they have to do in order to complete them properly.
That’s why most businesses produce flow charts so that employees will know every single step of the different processes that they’re required to do. This article will teach you all that you need to know in regards to how you should go about in creating a flow chart that just about anyone can easily understand.
No matter what kind of flow chart you end up creating, you should know that there are elements that are prominent throughout all of them. Those elements would be the following:
1. Flow Chart Symbols: Even the simplest of flow charts contain a number of symbols. The purpose of having them is so that they can indicate all of the different steps that need to be fulfilled in order to complete the entire process. For every symbol on the flow chart, each of them must contain a proper description for every action that needs to be done. For example, let’s say that you’ve made a flow chart specifically for inventory-related processes. One of the symbols can state something like “Separate items based on fragility”.
2. Decision Diamonds: There will come a point where a certain action could lead to two different paths once it is completed. By that point, the employee will have a choice as to which action he/she may do first before completing the other. These are what you call decision points and the best way to indicate them would be through the use of diamond-shaped symbols.
3. Ordering Indicators: Every flow chart must be able to point out the order in which steps need to be done. That’s why ordering indicators are necessary so that every employee is properly guided throughout the entire process. Indicators almost always come in the form of arrows as it’s the clearest way of showing what happens next. In the event that a certain action requires the employee to repeat a particular step, then the indicator will need to loop back to the symbol that it’s supposed to.
1. Gain access to Pages: One of the programs you can use to create your flow chart would come in the form of Apple Pages. Take note that you can only use it if you have access to a Macintosh computer. It’s one of the easier programs to use when it comes to making flow charts and it’s perfect for those that are trying to make one as soon as possible.
2. Getting started: Launch Pages and open a blank document. From there, you’ll need to choose if you want your flow chart to be displayed in either landscape or portrait. This will be based entirely on the space that you need to lay out all of the necessary steps.
3. Put in the shapes: Go to the toolbar and click on the “Shapes” button or click “Insert” and then “Shape” and make your selection. This will be the first thing that you’ll be placing in your flow chart.
4. Edit your shapes: Once you’re done choosing, you’ll then need to adjust its size. Adjust the size of the shape by clicking and dragging on any of the points. You’ll also want to add some color into them as well. You can add or remove colors by going to the “Graphics” tab in the Inspector window, which is available by clicking “View” and then “Show Inspector.”
5. Put in the text: Put in the information that each shape should have by simply selecting them. If you’re having a hard time reading the text, enlarge the shape to make the text size bigger. If you want to add more shapes, all you have to do is to repeat steps 2–5.
6. Adding the connection lines: Remember that every step must have a connection line to show which of them goes first. So from here, select two shapes by left-clicking your mouse and dragging the cursor over each of them. Click “Insert” and then “Connection Line” to add a line between the shapes. You can edit the line by dragging it or add color to any line you make by simply going to the “Graphic” tab of the Inspector window.
If you want to learn more about the different flow charts you can make or if you want to learn about other documents, then check out our site and look up the articles that can give you the information you need.
Although there is no limit to how many you can place, it may be overwhelming to most if there are too many. Unless there’s no other choice, you should consider shortening the process to reduce the steps and symbols.
Should you have any that are too hard to follow, then you should break them down into subprocesses. Doing so will make it much easier for readers to comprehend how a particular step should be done.
The easiest way to make one would be through the use of simple flow chart templates. They’re made for you to edit to however you wish and you can get them right here in this article.