Employee redundancy, bankruptcy, and downsizing implementation are among the top-most reasons why employers issue layoff notices among their staff members or laborers. A notice example is usually submitted for approval by higher management first before they issue a final one and serve the same to the affected employee.
A layoff or termination notice must contain specific details in order to become effective and valid. Its samples which include temporary layoff, termination notice, employee layoff, and layoff planning do conform with the basic notice template. You may scroll down to examine each template presented in this article and check in their specified format.
How to Write a Legally Safe Layoff Letter
- They contain the basic or personal details of the employee to be laid off. These details may include his full name, designation in the office, the length of service, age, among others.
- They are issued out of some valid reasons which can be justified by the employer before any forum.
- They are finalized after consulting with a labor law specialist or lawyers expert on labor cases to ensure that the concerned employee gets to receive the benefits entitled to him as mandated by the existing law.
How to Write an Employee Temporary Lay Off Policy
People behind the making of policies such as an employee temporary lay off policy must ensure that each provision contained therein is law-abiding, pragmatic and clear, just like in a termination notice template.
In writing such policies, some pertinent views must be considered, to wit:
- Provisions therein must be specific whether they are applicable to all employees or to a certain group or department only.
- They must set forth some definitions of terms to avoid vagueness in their meaning or implication.
- They must offer complete details when it comes to the length of unemployment, the benefits entitled to the affected ones, and some other matters related to layoff.
- They must open some options for employee who wish to go back to work after the period of resting or resort to finding another employer once more.
Example of Layoff
Free Layoff Notice
Sample Layoff Notice
6 Tips for Conducting Company Layoffs?
A lot of valuable tips are being offered online in conducting a company layoff, and six of these tips are discussed below:
- Layoff must be implemented on the right people after a thorough consideration of all related factors.
- Layoff notice must be issued at the appropriate time so that employees affected will understand the situation.
- Issue the notice personally. It is advised to do it individually so that each employee will be given ample time for explanation.
- People who are set to do the task must be able to show compassion towards their colleagues. Layoff notices, after all, can never mean positive vibes at all.
- Provisions and explanation must be stated as a matter of fact. For further reference, free notice templates and resignation notice template are provided.
- Affected employees may be requested to undergo career counseling for further guidance.
Counselors, human resource specialists, psychologists, and other personnel-related professionals must be able to handle layoff matters delicately because they do create major conflicts if left unattended.