20+ Envelope Templates in Apple Pages
Creating a strong and positive first impression is especially important for businesses and brands who are implementing direct mail marketing campaigns. And one sure-fire way to ace this step is through the creation of enticing envelope designs.
This article is a comprehensive guide on how to create well-designed envelopes whether for personal or business use. We will also share best practice tips to ensure that each envelope design you create serves a purpose and gives you the results you seek. Also, look out for and be inspired with all the free envelope templates in Apple Pages file format that we have included below.
Elements of A Good Envelope
Before starting any kind of graphic design project, it is important to first learn the core characteristics or elements that make it effective. In the case of a printed envelope, we have compiled the main qualities that, when combined, will help you create well-designed and effective envelopes for your personal correspondences and direct mail marketing letters.
1. Design Theme: An overarching theme or motif unites all the text and graphic elements used on the envelope design. If you are creating a beach wedding envelope, make sure that the enclosed wedding invitation card and the envelope itself both feature the same beach wedding design elements.
2. Color Choice: Envelopes that are printed on colored paper tend to get noticed first compared to regular white envelopes. Consult a color chart and choose a complementary color combination or follow the same color scheme that your insert uses.
3. Printing Material: The type of paper or cardstock used for printing an envelope design influences how the envelope (and its contents) will be perceived. Thicker paper tends to get a more favorable impression since they look more formal.
4. Envelope Markings: Another important envelope design element is the inclusion of envelope mailing markings. Include mandatory postage marks and write the full sender and recipient addresses if you are sending the envelope through the postal system.
Now that you know the core qualities or elements that should be incorporated when designing envelopes, it is time for you to start creating your own. Check out all the downloadable free and premium graphics templates shared below and find the design that will suit you or your business best.
20+ Envelope Templates in Apple Pages
Embedded below free and premium envelope templates in Apple Pages file format. Each template is fully editable using Apple Pages and other graphic design software programs.
Creative Agency Envelope Template
Event Planner Envelope Template
Grand Hotel Envelope Template
Hostel Envelope Template
Ice Cream Shop Envelope Template
Law Firm Envelope Template
Marketing Agency Envelope Template
Massage Envelope Template
SEO Envelope Template
Travel Agency Envelope Template
Wedding Planners Envelope
Beach Wedding Envelope
Fall Wedding Envelope Template
Floral Wedding Envelope Template
Nautical Wedding Envelope Template
Beauty Parlor Envelope Template
Education Envelope Template
Gym Envelope Design
Soccer Envelope Template
Spa Envelope Template
Sports Envelope Template
Simple Tips For an Awesome Envelope Design
If you found the core design elements shared at the start of this article lacking, then you’re in for treat. In the next few paragraphs, we are sharing a few more design tips that anyone may follow to further transform any envelope design. Read on…
- Use a printable envelope template. This will help you save time, money, and effort.
- Follow the same design theme used in your insert.
- To save ink and time, you may use window envelopes. These are pre-cut or see-through spaces where the envelope’s recipient name and address are shown.
- When sending invitation cards or letters, make sure to include an RSVP card in your envelopes.
- Use high-quality paper or cardstock. The higher the paper’s GSM number, the thicker it will be.
- Add your own personal or business seals especially if the envelope’s content is confidential.
- Incorporate your business’ branding elements like your company logo, trademark, or letterhead design.
- Print your envelopes on papers with attention-grabbing colors. The more lively and unique your envelope color is, the more likely will it stand out in your customer’s mailbox.
- Do not forget to make sure that your envelope’s inserts feature persuasive copy and calls-to-action.
Types of Envelopes
Envelopes may be categorized based on multiple characteristics. The most common classification system is through the type of insert or the purpose of the object they contain. Find out what these are in the list below.
- Announcement Envelopes: Also known as A envelopes, they are distinguished by their square flaps and side seams. They are mainly used to enclose greeting cards, letters, and invitations that are printed on paper or thin cardstock.
- Business or Baronial Envelopes: As its name implies, this type of envelope is used when sending formal business letters, cards, and other correspondences for formal events and occasions. Baronial envelopes sport diagonal seams and V-flaps that make them appear more elegant compared to other envelope types.
- Booklet Envelopes: Use this type of envelope when sending heavier and/or thicker inserts like brochures, pamphlets, magazines, newsletters, product catalogs, and printed media kits. Booklet envelopes are more durable and will have different seam placements depending on the size on the envelope size chosen.
Shared below are the different sizes of each type of envelope under the two main envelope classification conventions followed worldwide.
International Standard Sizes:
- DL – 4.33 inches by 8.66 inches, 110 mm by 220 mm
- C7 – 3.2 inches by 4.5 inches, 81 mm by 114 mm
- C7 – 3.19 inches by 6.4 inches, 81 mm by 162 mm
- C6 – 4.5 inches by 6.4 inches, 114 mm by 162 mm
- C6/C5 – 4.5 inches by 9 inches, 114 mm by 229 mm
- C5 – 6.4 inches by 9 inches, 162 mm by 229 mm
- C4 – 9.0 inches by 12.8 inches, 229 mm by 324 mm
- C3 – 12.8 inches by 18 inches, 324 mm by 458 mm
- B6 – 4.9 inches by 6.9 inches, 125 mm by 176 mm
- B5 – 6.9 inches by 9.8 inches, 176 mm by 250 mm
- B4 – 9.8 inches by 13.9 inches, 250 mm by 353 mm
- E4 – 11 inches by 15.75 inches, 280 mm by 400 mm
American Standard Sizes:
- A2 – 4 3⁄8 inches by 5 3⁄4 inches, 111.1 mm by 146.1 mm
- A6 – 4 3⁄4 inches by 6 1⁄2 inches, 120.7 mm by 165.1 mm
- A7 – 5 1⁄4 inches by 7 1⁄4 inches, 133.4 mm by 184.2 mm
- A8 – 5 1⁄2 inches by 8 1⁄8 inches, 139.7 mm by 206.4 mm
- A9 – 5 3⁄4 inches by 8 3⁄4 inches, 146.1 mm by 222.3 mm
- A10 – 6 inches by 9 1⁄2 inches, 152.4 mm by 241.3 mm
- No. 6 3⁄4 – 3 5⁄8 inches by 6 1⁄2 inches, 92.1 mm by 165.1 mm
- No. 7 3⁄4 (Monarch) – 3 7⁄8 inches by 7 1⁄2 inches, 98.4 mm by 190.5 mm
- No. 9 – 3 7⁄8 inches by 8 7⁄8 inches, 98.4 mm by 225.4 mm
- No. 10 – 4 1⁄8 inches by 9 1⁄2 inches, 104.8 mm by 241.3 mm
- No. 11 – 4 1⁄2 inches by 10 3⁄8 inches, 114.3 mm by 263.5 mm
- No. 12 – 4 3⁄4 inches by 11 inches, 120.7 mm by 279.4 mm
- No. 14 – 5 inches by 11 1⁄2 inches, 127.0 mm by 292.1 mm
What is the right envelope size to use?
Deciding on what envelope size to use should be based on the size of your insert. If you are sending a letter printed on legal paper, choose an envelope size that fits the paper when it is folded in thirds. Generally, the insert should be smaller than the envelope. Check out the envelope size guide shared above and through this, determine the right paper sizes that you can use for each envelope type.
Should all direct mail marketing materials be enclosed in envelopes?
Ideally, direct mail marketing materials like brochures, greeting cards, magazines, and letters should be placed in matching envelopes. An exception is when sending out postcards as they are meant to be sent without envelopes.
What if I do not have Apple Pages installed, what other software tools may I use to make envelope designs?
You do not need to have Apple Pages installed on your computer or device to create any kind of envelope design. You may use alternative graphic design and editing software programs like Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Microsoft Word and Publisher to create your own envelope designs.
Paying attention to the material that a personal card or business letter is enclosed in help create a favorable impression for you or your brand. Use this to your advantage and take note of all the design tips and free printable template downloads that we have shared in this article. To explore more envelope-making guides and tips, check out the rest of our website.