Well-designed business cards can help business owners, working professionals, creatives, and other entities create a positive and favorable impression of themselves and/or their brands. In fact, in the digital age, using business cards has also become a stamp of uniqueness and willingness to adapt to the changing times.
So if you want all these attributes associated with yourself or with your business, then you should seriously consider crafting the best business card designs. And this article aims to help anyone achieve that by providing valuable tips and guides on business card-making.
We are all familiar with business cards. They are the 3.5-inches by 2-inch pieces of paper filled with contact and business information about a person or brand. But in a world where almost every working professional and brand already have their own business cards, you need to make sure that your own card is more enticing and attention-grabbing than others.
To do that, you need to keep in mind a few key elements that make a compelling business card. We have listed the top five design elements that anyone should incorporate into their own business card designs. Find out what these characteristics are below.
1. Typography: The first thing to consider when creating a business card is its typography. Remember, typography does not only involve choosing a certain font style. As the lead graphic designer, you need to choose the right set of typefaces, formatting styles, font colors, spacing requirements, and kerning measurements that will help you best present all the information on your business card.
2. Design Theme: Another essential element that helps create an effective business card is the design theme that the card follows. Themes or motifs may be any design concept or idea that acts as the touchstone for all the other graphics and text elements used your business card design. A well-chosen business card theme is one that seamlessly unites your personal and/or business brand in a visual and creative way. For example, if you are a lawyer, it will help that you choose a simple yet professional design theme for your attorney business card.
3. Visual Hierarchy: Since business cards are printed on small pieces of paper, designers need to make sure that all the information or text it contains are presented in a meaningful and organized way. Anyone reading (or just looking at) the card design should not be overwhelmed with all its graphic elements. Good visual hierarchy means that all the design elements used in the card are arranged in a coordinated manner. It also means that the most important elements (like your name and/or designation) are emphasized on the card design.
4. Content: In addition to following a good card layout, including only the most relevant content on your business card can make it a more effective marketing tool. Some of the most helpful pieces of content that should be included in a business card are your contact number, business address, email address, business or personal website links, and social media profile links.
5. Printing Material: The type of material that a business card template is printed is another element that can help influence a reader’s impression of your business card and, by extension, of your brand or business as well. Choose thicker paper or rare printing materials like metal and durable plastic if you want elegant business cards. Other unconventional printing materials are wood and textured cardstock. These options can help make a simple business card appear more unique and attention-grabbing.
And there you have it! The top five elements that a business card should embody for them to become more effective promotional tools. Study each element well and then keep on practicing on how to incorporate them into your own card designs until you create a truly well-designed business card.
Embedded below are multiple examples of business card templates in Illustrator file format. Make sure that you have Adobe Illustrator installed and activated on your computer before downloading the template of your choice.
In the list below, we have gathered the top design tips that can help anyone create truly compelling business cards. Whether you want a minimalist business card, an elegant business card, or a combination thereof, make sure to read and apply these tips into your own template designs.
1. Implement a uniform color scheme: Color matters a lot when it comes with making a compelling business card design. Choose colors that allow you to tie in your business card with your business or brand. For example, if you are creating a corporate business card, it may be best if you follow your company’s official colors. This way, your business card can readily be associated with your company or organization.
2. Create a good logo: Due to the limited space on business cards, it is essential to carefully choose the details you want to include on the card itself. One way to save space on your business card is by incorporating your business logo or letterhead design. This allows you to present your brand without using additional text. Also, make sure that you create a logo that describes what your business is all about.
3. Use thick paper or cardstock: Another helpful card design tip that anyone creating a business card should follow is the use of thick paper or cardstock. The higher the quality of the paper your business card is printed on, the longer the card will last and the better the impression it creates for you and your brand. Other card printing options also mean that you may choose paper with varied textures, colors, and patterns. Choose the printing surface that you think will best represent you and your business.
4. Use alternative printing materials: Paper is the traditional material used for printing business cards. But if you want to have a truly unique business card, you can explore the use of other printing materials like wood, metal, PVC, or plastic. A good example is the transparent business card template where plastic is used as the card’s printing material.
Study and apply all these tips when creating your own business cards. Feel free to use any of the free downloadable card templates featured above so that you can begin practicing creating your own business cards.
Business cards, just like other kinds of graphic design projects, are classified according to how they were made. Find out what these card-making methods are and also learn about different types of business cards below
1. Electronic Business Cards or e-Cards: These business cards are created digitally and then sent out through email, email newsletters, or through SNS messaging. Electronic business cards may also be called email signatures as they are attached at the end of most email correspondences.
2. Handmade Business Cards: As its name implies, these are business cards made manually by hand. Just like making a handmade greeting card, handmade business card designs tend to be more personalized. They also need a lot more time to complete since each card needs to be created by hand. Use this type of card-making method if you have all the time and skills to make each business card.
3. Template-based Business Cards: Template-based business cards are those created using a printable template. This article is filled with multiple examples of these pre-formatted business card templates.
Traditional business cards follow the 3.5 inches by 2 inches printing size. However, if you want a more unique business card, you may choose whatever printing size to follow.
A business card template in Illustrator is a preset graphic design file created using Adobe Illustrator. As a graphic design file, it contains all the fonts, images, text, formatting, and layout elements needed to create a business card design.
Visiting cards are considered as the earlier version of business cards. They were used in the 18th century when someone wants to visit another aristocrat’s residence and was part of an elaborate etiquette routine of that time. Today, visiting cards are seldom used. And business cards are now used to introduce a person, organization, or business.
Aside from Adobe Illustrator, graphic design and editing software tools like Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Microsoft Word, and Publisher may also be used to create business card templates.
If you want the best for your personal or business brand, creating business cards is just one marketing strategy that you can implement. Follow all the tips, use all the template examples, then combine them with well-targeted advertising plans and you will have an effective business card on hand. For more examples of premium and free blank card templates, check out the rest of our website.