10+ Envelope Designs & Templates
Writing letters is not complete without choosing a matching envelope for it. Matching containers or envelopes also look best when used for formal documents and marketing mailers. Looking for well-designed envelopes for work, business, or personal letters? Check out the envelope design templates included in this article.
Tips on how to create your own envelope design are also provided below. Read and internalize them so you can apply each hack in your envelope creation process.
Elements of a Good Envelope Design
Whether you are creating an outer envelope for a client’s direct marketing mailers or you just want to come up with a good envelope design for your business letters, you need to know what works and what doesn’t when it comes to creating an envelope design. To help you do that, we have listed the top elements of an effective envelope design. Read them below and be sure to apply what you have learned during your design creation process.
- Personal or Business Branding Image: Knowing your personal or business’ branding image is essential in creating well-designed envelopes. Remember, your branding identity design should appear in your envelope design. This helps in brand recall and will lead to more customer leads.
- Right Shape and Size: Another important element of a well-designed envelope is its shape and size. Business owners and marketers should choose an envelope style that matches the content of the envelope. For example, choose a large booklet envelope if you are sending out direct marketing mailers or advertising catalog.
- Paper Stock: The type of paper stock used for an envelope may affect how its content or inserts are perceived. The thicker and more luxurious the material used for an envelope is, the more favorable the entire correspondence appeal will be.
- Envelope Color. Following a complementary color palette is another essential element of any graphic design project. This applies to envelope designs too. Choose a color scheme that matches your brand’s image. Or, choose a color scheme that will best pique a reader’s interest and lead them to read the envelope’s inclusions.
Those are the key elements that should be seen in any envelope design. Plan out how you can incorporate all of them into your design and it will be easier for you to complete the entire project. Also, remember that the best envelope design will not help you if the content of your mailings and letters is sub-par. This especially applies to business mailings and printed promotional materials. Learn how to do effective direct mail marketing first and then combine this knowledge with how to create the best envelope designs. After a few weeks or months, you will begin the see the effects of a well-planned multipurpose campaign.
10+ Envelope Designs
Take a look at ten excellent examples of envelope designs below. All these envelope templates are fully downloadable and editable. So make sure that you have editing software tools ready.
Agriculture Envelope Format
Architecture Envelope Template
Free Barbershop Envelope Example
Free Soccer Envelope Template
Free Spa Envelope Example
Gym Envelope Template
Sports Envelope Format
Elegant Envelope Design
Invitation Card Envelope Template
Free Envelope Template
Inspiring Envelope Design
How to Design A Better Envelope Design
Creating an envelope design is just like completing any other graphic design project. Focus your attention into the key elements that makes up a good envelope and you are good to go. To make the process even easier, we have highlighted each characteristic below and share a few tips on how to make your own design even better.
- Size: As we have mentioned earlier, it is best to choose an envelope size that can fully enclose the content you are sharing to the customer. We have listed the different envelope sizes below so choose one that will best fit your needs.
- Paper: The heavier the paper’s weight and the more luxurious its texture is, the costlier will it be to mail. Keep this factor in mind when deciding what forms of mailers you wish to send and their quantity.
- Printing: Emphasis can be added to an envelope design through the use of printing techniques like embossing, foil printing, and even paper-cutting. Choose a printing technique that will help add impact and create a lasting impression to your correspondences.
- Envelope Windows: These are the see-through portion of envelopes that allows readers to peek at the contents of any mailings. You may choose envelope designs that have built-in window shapes and sizes that will suit your business’ needs.
- Graphic Design: Visual design elements help make your envelopes more enticing. Test out what specific images, illustrations, or logo designs you should use to make sure that readers will open and read your mailings. For example, if you have a farm business, you choose an agriculture envelope design since it complements the type of business you own.
- Sender: People need to verify if the mailings or letters they receive are sent from legitimate businesses and real people. This is also an opportunity to introduce your business or organization through the return address or sender section on the envelope. Leverage this opportunity and make the most out of the corner card section of your outer envelopes.
- Type of Postage: Another way consumers verify the authenticity of letters and mailings is through the type of postage used. Make this section of your envelope design as enticing and as memorable as possible.
And those are the steps and corresponding tips that anyone creating envelope designs should follow. Take them to heart and you will surely get mailings and letters that will get noticed first.
Types of Envelopes
Envelopes are classified according to their content. Listed below are the different envelope types and a brief description of what they are used for.
- Business and Commercial Envelopes: As its name implies, these kinds of envelopes are used for direct mail, business correspondences, and communication letters. These envelopes may either follow a v-flap style or a straight flap style.
- Examples of envelope sizes that are mainly used as commercial and communications envelopes are the Monarch, #7, #8, #9, and #10 envelopes. The last one is most commonly used as the standard business envelope in North America.
- Announcement Envelopes: The second type of envelope is called announcement envelopes because they enclose less formal correspondences. Like birthday cards, invitation cards, photo cards, and other smaller advertising materials.
- Envelope sizes that are used as announcement envelopes are the A-2, A-6, A-7, and A-8 envelopes.
- Booklet Envelopes: The last type of envelope is called booklet envelopes. These envelopes have a bigger measurement to accommodate larger inserts. Examples of which are booklets, other direct mail inserts, sales letters, newsletters, brochures, and product catalogs.
Envelope sizes that are used as booklet envelopes are the #6, #6 1/2, #6 5/8, #9, and #10 envelopes.
Different countries have different standard envelope sizes. The two main size classifications are listed below:
International Standard Sizes:
- DL – 4.33 inches by 8.66 inches, 110 mm by 220 mm
- C7 – 3.2 inches by 4.5 inches, 81 mm by 114 mm
- C7 – 3.19 inches by 6.4 inches, 81 mm by 162 mm
- C6 – 4.5 inches by 6.4 inches, 114 mm by 162 mm
- C6/C5 – 4.5 inches by 9 inches, 114 mm by 229 mm
- C5 – 6.4 inches by 9 inches, 162 mm by 229 mm
- C4 – 9.0 inches by 12.8 inches, 229 mm by 324 mm
- C3 – 12.8 inches by 18 inches, 324 mm by 458 mm
- B6 – 4.9 inches by 6.9 inches, 125 mm by 176 mm
- B5 – 6.9 inches by 9.8 inches, 176 mm by 250 mm
- B4 – 9.8 inches by 13.9 inches, 250 mm by 353 mm
- E4 – 11 inches by 15.75 inches, 280 mm by 400 mm
American Standard Sizes:
- A2 – 4 3⁄8 inches by 5 3⁄4 inches, 111.1 mm by 146.1 mm
- A6 – 4 3⁄4 inches by 6 1⁄2 inches, 120.7 mm by 165.1 mm
- A7 – 5 1⁄4 inches by 7 1⁄4 inches, 133.4 mm by 184.2 mm
- A8 – 5 1⁄2 inches by 8 1⁄8 inches, 139.7 mm by 206.4 mm
- A9 – 5 3⁄4 inches by 8 3⁄4 inches, 146.1 mm by 222.3 mm
- A10 – 6 inches by 9 1⁄2 inches, 152.4 mm by 241.3 mm
- No. 6 3⁄4 – 3 5⁄8 inches by 6 1⁄2 inches, 92.1 mm by 165.1 mm
- No. 7 3⁄4 (Monarch) – 3 7⁄8 inches by 7 1⁄2 inches, 98.4 mm by 190.5 mm
- No. 9 – 3 7⁄8 inches by 8 7⁄8 inches, 98.4 mm by 225.4 mm
- No. 10 – 4 1⁄8 inches by 9 1⁄2 inches, 104.8 mm by 241.3 mm
- No. 11 – 4 1⁄2 inches by 10 3⁄8 inches, 114.3 mm by 263.5 mm
- No. 12 – 4 3⁄4 inches by 11 inches, 120.7 mm by 279.4 mm
- No. 14 – 5 inches by 11 1⁄2 inches, 127.0 mm by 292.1 mm
What are envelope templates?
An envelope template is a pre-formatted digital file that contains all the design elements for an envelope design. Anyone may use these printable templates if they do not want to create envelope designs from scratch. In this article, you will find numerous downloadable templates like the free soccer envelope template above.
What tools to use in creating envelope designs?
Designing envelopes are now usually done digitally through graphic design software tools like Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop. By learning how to use these tools, you will know how to create simple blank postcard templates to more complicated envelope design templates in the future.
How to get more envelopes opened?
First, identify your audience. Do market research and tailor your mailings and envelopes according to their preferences. Second, create envelopes that stand out. You can easily do this by using premium quality paper, the right paper size, the right printing technique.
Next, add persuasive ad copy. Yes, you may add text in the form of slogans or questions on your envelope designs. Choose short phrases and enticing words to help bring out a reader’s sense of curiosity. Lastly, inspire your readers into action. You can do this by adding additional features to the envelope itself that will make a reader open and read its content. The use of envelope perforations and easy-to-unzip strips can help achieve this.
Creating official business stationery is easier thanks to the wide selection of stationery and envelope templates that Template.net offers. The site also provides other free and premium graphic design and business templates. They are fully customizable to help you quickly and easily complete your tasks.