Lace refers to a patterned fabric made with machines or some intricate handiwork of looping, braiding, or twisting a thread. Its open weave of visible spaces between the weaves attributes its delicate nature. It is often considered as a form of embroidery; however, the lace is a complete fabric in itself whereas embroidery is an ornamentation done on a completed fabric. Laces are definitely a good choice for any elegant and sophisticated designs.
Nowadays, lace is not anymore extensively used in home decor products and in clothing but also in the graphic design industry as well. There is a huge spectrum of lace use in creating patterns and textures for digital and print designs. We present you a collection of lace Photoshop patterns on this page to download and use for your creative projects.
Seamless Lace Patterns
Circle Lace Patterns
Floral Lace Patterns
Black and White Lace Patterns
The Types of Lace Patterns
The lace fabric has many types which are based on its structure, materials used, and how it is made. Lace patterns are also classified according to these types and below are some of them.
- Knit lace. The lack of tulle back when making this lace makes it softer and more flexible. Although this can’t be seen in print, a knit lace is often characterized by closely knitted patterns with little open space.
- Guipure lace. Also known as Venetian lace, the Guipure lace is a firm, stiff lace without a net background. The patterns are made with a series of embroidered stitches onto a fine fabric that seems to disappear.
- Embroidered lace. Unlike the knit lace, embroidered lace have delicate patterns, which are tightly stitched onto an illusion base; therefore, open spaces are clearly visible. They usually create depth and dimension.
- Chantilly lace. Chantilly laces are known for its fine ground, outline pattern and abundant detail. The pattern is outlined in cordennet, which is a flat untwisted strand which gives it linear and geometric outlines.
- Eyelet lace. Perhaps the simplest type of lace, it is characterized by little eyelets forming a pattern in a cotton of other thin fabric. It can be associated with a vintage or boho type of design.
For a more dainty and fun designs, check out our compilation of floral patterns on this site!
Ornamental Lace Patterns
White Lace Patterns
Linen and Lace Patterns
Vintage Lace Patterns
What Does Using Laces Mean
The lace fabric has gained its popularity from its ability to entice men. Let’s take a look at other associations people make with them that can also be integrated in your use of these patterns.
- Femininity. Laces are made of lightweight and openwork fabric which wraps intimately over the female form. Its sheer quality provides a glimpse of what lies underneath the fabric so, it is usually associated with femininity.
- Innocence. Lace are usually made in white color which is symbol of purity. In this way, it shows a certain innocence contrary to its sensual side. The duality of this association makes the lace an interesting pattern to use.
- Luxury. In the early times, lace was made of gold, silk, silver, and cotton threads that only the rich and noble can wear. Gold and silver are totems of royalty and only these people can use it in their belongings.
The lace’s delicate patterns are unique and can be used to create evocative designs. So, if you need integrate these associations to your designs, download one of these lace patterns of your choice. Also, take a look at out our collection of vintage patterns also available on this site.