There are times where someone, in particular, will run an errand for you or do what you have requested. Should that happen, you want to make sure that this person knows that you appreciate whatever it is that he or she has done. You may also see Letter Templates.
Now, one of the best ways that you can do this is by handing that person a letter which thanks him or her. And that’s why this article is going to teach you all that you need to know about how you should make a thank you letter.
Simple Restaurant Meeting Thank You Letter Template
Restaurant Follow Up Thank You Letter Template
Business Thank You Letter Example
Real Estate Thank You Letter Sample
Scholarship Thank You Letter Template
Elements of a Good Thank You Letter
If you’re going to make this type of letter, then you should know that there are a couple of basic elements that you’ll need to be aware of. Without them, you won’t be able to make a thank you letter that should have what it needs for you to show gratitude to another person. So if you want know what they are, then you can guarantee that the letter you end up making is one that’s able to do its job.
With that in mind, here are the basic elements of any good thank you letter:
- Date: If you were to send someone a letter, then that person will want to know the date in which you made it. The point of this is to help remember what is being thanked for and for when one would like to recall the date in which he/she was thanked. Just make sure to include the month, day, and year when writing it down.
- Heading: It’s here where you’ll need to place your complete name as well as other details such as your job title. Be sure that you write down your first name, last name, and middle initial so that there won’t be any questions regarding the letter’s sender.
- Address: You’ll want to place the location of where the letter came from. Make sure that you put in the complete address as the recipient of the letter may just need the information for purposes such as sending another letter back or making a personal visit to the location.
- Salutation: This is the part of the letter where you greet the recipient. You should know if whether the recipient is male or female as you want to address this person in the right gender. Also, know exactly who you’re making the letter for and write his/her complete name.
- Body: It’s here where you’ll be focusing on sentences that will explain what it is that you’re thankful for. Be sure to go into detail as to what has been done that made you send the letter in the first place.
- Closing Section: This is the last part of the letter where you’ll close everything with an appropriate statement. Some people just tend to thank the recipient again and state that they hope to continue working together in the future. It doesn’t really matter how you close it, just make sure that you do.
Interview Thank You Letter Format
Job Acceptance Thank You Letter Template
Phone Interview Thank You Letter Sample
Job Offer Thank You Letter Example
How to Make a Thank You Letter
Now that you’ve learned about the important elements of a thank you letter, the next thing that you’re going to have to do is to learn how you should go about in making it. Even if you know what it should consist of, there are still things that you have to consider in order for the letter to show proper thanks to the recipient. Remember that those who receive well-made thank you letters will feel appreciated and will most likely continue to show why they’ve earned it in the first place.
Knowing that, here are the steps that will allow you to make a good thank you letter:
Start With a Proper Opening
The way you open the letter will decide the tone all throughout. This means that you’re going to have to determine what kind of tone you should go be going for. Do you think that you’ll want to go with something more formal? Or maybe the letter is for a friend and you want it to sound casual? Decide as early as when you begin writing.
Once you’ve figured out how you should open the letter, just remember that the firs thing that you’ll need to do is greet the person you’re sending to. It’s best to start with “Dear” followed by “Mr.” or “Ms.” and then the recipient’s last name. That way, you can ensure that the letter addresses the right person.
When you’ve done that, think about your opening statement. You can opt to jump straight into it by thanking the person for what he/she has done. You can start with other ways, but this seems to be the most effective when it comes to showing appreciation.
Know What You Should Put in the Body
It’s clear that you’ll want to include a statement that thanks the recipient for what he/she has done, but you’ll also need to figure out what that is. You want to carefully explain why you’re thanking this person as he/she would like to know the reason behind obtaining the thank you letter.
So why are you sending this person a thank you letter? What it is that he/she has done for you? This will differ with every person as there are so many reasons as to why you would want to show gratitude. Maybe it was because that person did something for you that you didn’t expect or maybe you’re just thanking this person for doing his/her job. No matter what the reason may be, just be sure to provide a detailed explanation.
Close the Letter Appropriately
Once you’re done pointing out why you’ve written the letter, you can close it in a way that will ensure the recipient feels appreciated. You can state that there’s a reward to look forward to or that his/her actions won’t go unnoticed. This is something that you’ll especially want to do if you’re thanking someone for anything business-related.
And lastly, make sure that you write down your complete name at the very bottom of the letter. It’s best that you place your signature so that the recipient can verify who the letter came from.
Recommendation Thank You Letter Sample
Sample Thank You Letter
Simple Thank You Letter Template
Tips for Making a Thank You Letter
- Always know why you’re thanking the recipient: Although this has already been mentioned, it cannot be stressed how important it is that you know exactly why this person needs to be thanked. Pointing out the right reason can be enough to let that person know that you understand just the time and effort he/she has put into doing what needs to be done.
- Check for any mistakes: Before you send the letter, be sure to check it for any mistakes that you could have made. Look into the grammar, spelling, and whatever information you’ve written down to see if there are things that you need to change. Go through the letter at least twice so that you can spot and immediately fix whatever mistakes you may have come across.
Thank You Letter Types
Know that there are many different varieties and all of them are for the purpose of thanking someone for different reasons. Knowing what they are should give you an idea as to which one you should be making. So here are a few examples:
If you would like to learn about the other types of thank you letters that you can make, then you simply need to go through our site.
Thank You Letter Size
If you plan on making one, then know that you should go with the standard A4 or US size. If you want to get even more specific, then you’ll want it to be 8.5 by 11 inches. That alone should be enough for you to point out all the details in regards to who you are, when and where the letter was made, and why you’re thanking the person. It’s best that you use the standard size if you’re thanking someone for anything business related as anything else will make the letter look unprofessional.
Thank You Letter FAQs
How do I make a thank you letter?
Majority of the letters today are made via software applications such as Microsoft Word and printed out. While you can also do it by hand, it’s best to have it printed if you want to make it look professional.
Is there an easy way to make a thank you letter?
Yes, all you have to do is to download a thank you letter template and you’ll easily be able to customize it to contain what you need. You can also use the ones available in this article should you wish to do so.
Although it won’t be easy making one, it’s still best that you do if you want to show gratitude to anyone that has done something for you or for someone else. So follow the steps above to make sure that you’re able to create a thank you letter that someone will actually be able to appreciate.