If letter-writing is too cumbersome for you, then perhaps you should try your hand at creating and writing postcards instead. They are simpler and more cost-efficient alternatives to corresponding with other people in a world dominated by social media and the internet.
In addition, postcard designs may also be customized for businesses and organizations who wish to increase their market reach and brand recall. So if you are looking for beautiful postcard designs whether for business or personal use, check out the rest of this article as we provide postcard-making tips and show editable mock-ups of postcard templates.
As we have promised at the start of this article, we are sharing a few postcard-making tips on this article. And we are starting with the top elements that make up a good postcard. Read and review each element or design characteristic so that you will know how to apply or look for them in any postcard template that you create or download. Read on…
1. Postcard Markings: The first element to consider when creating a simple postcard template design are its postcard markings. Remember, postcards are different from other kinds of postal correspondences since the actual postal markings or labels are printed on the postcard itself. Unlike letters and direct mail marketing correspondences that are enclosed in envelopes, postcards need to be pre-printed with any postal markings required by your state or country.
2. Focal Image, Illustration, or Text: Another design element that should be present in a postcard is the focal image or text. This refers to that scenic view, tourist spot, or carefully lettered quote printed on one side of a postcard. This design feature is one of the main deciding factors why a person would buy a postcard. Therefore, to create a compelling postcard design, you should make sure that you include an equally compelling and relevant photo, illustration, quote, or a combination thereof.
3. Card Layout: As with any card design project, it is important to make sure that a postcard follows an organized layout. This basic graphic design rule allows anyone reading the final postcard will find it easy to understand. This element applies both to the written content of the postcard as well as the graphic content of the card. The best postcard design is the one that seamlessly promotes creative visual flow between the text and graphic elements of the card design.
4. Paper Quality: When creating a postcard, one should also keep in mind the type and quality of the paper used in printing the postcard design. Choose a high-quality paper or cardstock, preferably one that is thicker and has a more luxurious feel. This is important especially if you want to evoke a sense of elegance and professionalism in the postcards that you send out.
5. Card Design Theme: The next element that should be found in a postcard is a coherent design theme. Just like how a good card layout helps organizes the contents of your postcard, a theme also helps create a unified narrative about your postcard. This narrative or story is especially important for those who are creating business postcards where branding image matters in attracting and retaining customers.
All the elements and characteristics shared above work hand in hand when creating a compelling postcard design. Study each element well sot hat you may apply them into your own card designs later on. Be sure to check out the rest of this article as we provide examples of fully downloadable postcard templates in PSD, Word, AI, and Publisher file formats.
Shown below are ten examples of postcard templates in Microsoft Word and other file formats. Each template is fully editable so that anyone can easily add their own touches to the base template design.
Postcards, just like greeting cards, are available in most bookshops, gift stores, and airports nowadays. They are commercialized up to the point that every holiday has a corresponding postcard design. But for those who want to create truly unique postcards, crafting your own card designs may be a better alternative.
To help you craft only the most excellent postcard designs, we have compiled a few design tips below. Learn what these tips are below.
1. Choose high-quality photos: To make the best postcard, you should ensure that you only use high-quality photos, images, or illustrations. This should make sense as postcards are meant to attract attention through the use of thought-provoking imagery. Pay attention to the photos you source if you are creating simple business postcards. And if you are making family postcards, you should likewise make sure that you are using well-taken photos. Unless you are being ironic, it is ill form to use selfie pictures.
2. Add your business branding elements: This next tip applies to those who are creating business postcards. Make sure that you subtly incorporate your business’ branding elements into the postcard design. For instance, adding a small logo into your pet clinic postcard design can help increase brand recall among your customer base. Other examples of branding elements that you can add are your business letterhead designs, your brand logo, your organization symbol, a slogan, or even just your company’s logotype if you do not have an actual logo.
3. Handwrite your message: Another way sure-fire way to create excellent postcards is by making sure that you include handwritten messages in them. This is especially effective when creating personal or family postcards. Their recipients are more likely to appreciate the card since they can see the effort you put into creating it. When creating a postcard template design, make sure to leave enough space for you to write down your message later on.
4. Incorporate freebies when creating business postcards: Another effective design tip when creating business postcards is by incorporating freebies and offers into your postcard design. When customers see these offers, they are more likely to try out your product or service. Including small sample packs and test swatches on postcards are examples of effective brand marketing through postcards.
5. Add embellishments: Lastly, if you want to create truly memorable postcards, you can always add embellishments into the card itself. Things like stickers, beads, brads, glitter letters, cut-outs, and even washi tape designs can help create a three-dimensional effect for your postcard design. Follow this design tip when creating family postcards or Christmas holiday postcards that will be sent out to your closest family members and friends.
Creating postcards does not have to be a chore. With the help of all the design hacks and multiple examples that we have shown above, we hope that you will get the right groove and start making your own postcard designs.
There are multiple postcard classification systems. In this article, we have listed different types of postcards according to their specific use. Read more about them below.
When it comes to choosing a postcard size, there is no one standard paper size to choose from. In this article, most of the free templates follow the 6 inches by 4 inches printing size.
A postcard template in Word is a pre-made graphic design file created using Microsoft Word. It contains all the text, formatting, placeholder, images, and layout elements needed to create a postcard design.
Other than Microsoft Word, anyone can also create graphic design templates (postcard designs included) using editing tools like Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Microsoft Publisher, and even Apple Pages.
Postcards were created as a quicker and cost-effective alternative to snail mail. They were not developed to include envelopes. Ditch the envelopes if you want to send out postcards through the postal system.
We hope that you have learned a lot about postcard-making and how to design your own postcards through the various tips and examples shared in this article. Also, do not forget to enjoy the process of making your own postcards. Learn along the way until you find that coming up with excellent post card designs is only second nature. For more pieces of advance and mock-ups of design and business templates, do check out the rest of our website.