The use of greeting cards dates back to ancient China. Today, this is a billion-dollar industry. If you want to be a part of the card-making niche, or if you want to create customized greeting cards as part of your store’s customer engagement program, or if you just want to create that one greeting card for your significant other’s upcoming birthday, then this short greeting card-making guide will be right up your alley.
In this article, we are sharing actionable tips and hacks that can help anyone create compelling greeting cards. We will also be sharing a few greeting card templates in PSD file format to make it easier for those who prefer to create and edit greeting cards using Adobe Photoshop.
In a world of mass-produced paper products, truly compelling greeting card designs are rare to find. That is why if you want to ensure that you create or select a card design that ticks all the boxes in terms of attractiveness, message content, and functionality, you need to learn the key elements or characteristics that make a good greeting card.
Knowledge and application of these elements into your card-making or card selection process will help ensure that you will have a compelling greeting card design. Find out what these elements are below.
1. Visual Hierarchy: The best greeting cards are often the ones that are pleasant to look at. This means that the card cover is organized — all design elements serve a purpose and help tell a story. Avoid greeting card template designs that appear too cluttered unless you are going for that specific look.
2. Typography: The next element that helps turn a regular greeting card into a compelling one is its typography. Use font styles that are easy to read and, at the same time, visually appealing. Well-designed typography also refers to the spacing between words, the kerning between each character, the overall font size, and even the font colors. Consider all these things before you create or choose any greeting card design.
3. Content or Message: Another essential characteristic that a good greeting card should possess is a relevant and well-worded message or content. These days, greeting card content can be pre-made or you can write one on your own. Either way, make sure that the card content is heartfelt and honest.
4. Design Theme: A greeting card’s design theme or motif is another characteristic that will help transform it into a compelling card design. This theme needs to coincide with the overall look and purpose of the card itself. For example, if you are creating a retro graduation greeting card, the card design should incorporate retro design elements, font styles, and even pictures. Unity in design theme will help make the greeting card appear more organized and creative.
5. Paper Type and/or Size: Next, another feature that helps make an effective greeting card is the size and type of the paper used for printing the greeting card. Remember that humans are visual and tactile individuals. Use this to your advantage by creating a greeting card that will appear to both senses. Use high-quality, textured paper. You may also choose irregular paper sizes to match the quirkiness of your greeting card design.
Adopt all these elements into your own card designs and you will have a compelling greeting card on hand. For more tips on making greeting cards, scroll down and read the rest of this article.
As promised, embedded below are greeting card templates in PSD file format. Some of these customizable templates are also available in other download formats like .DOC.
The internet is filled with remarkable greeting card templates and designs that anyone can download and use. But since they are available online, anybody can really use them and send out to their own friends and family. That is why if you want your greeting card designs to be truly original, it is best to add a few tweaks or customizations on the card templates that you use.
1. Add high-quality images or illustrations: Images and illustrations can add both meaning and variety into any card design. Therefore, use them wisely and only add those that are relevant to the type of greeting card you wish to create. Also, make sure that you choose high-resolution photos so that they will come out well when the template is printed on paper.
2. Use a pre-made greeting card template: As this article is all about PSD greeting card templates, we recommend the use of pre-formatted greeting card templates (multiple examples are embedded above). Using these printable templates will help you save time, money, and effort compared to making a greeting card template from scratch. In addition, pre-made templates are fully customizable and reusable.
3. Apply advanced printing techniques: To make your greeting card more look more attractive, pay attention to the way they are printed as well. Apply advanced printing techniques like the use of glitter inks, foil printing, embossing effect, etc. Consult your local print shop owner and take a look at sample prints before committing with a final printing method for your greeting cards. As an example, you may take this chalkboard Christmas greeting card template and have it printed on real chalkboard paper or cardstock.
4. Try to incorporate papercut elements: An emerging design technique that will help make your greeting card appear more remarkable is the use of papercut elements. This means that your greeting card cover will have a cutout or pop-up portion. This kind of design technique can help elicit surprise and mystery around your greeting cards. This design technique can really work well for cards sent on festive seasons as shown by this modern Christmas card.
5. Handwrite your own greeting card message: To counteract the depersonalizing effects of mass-produced greeting cards, it is best to include a handwritten and heartfelt message in any card that you send. This simple act can tell the card recipient that you, the caregiver, is sincere in sending out the card. And if you are not confident with your handwriting, you may always type and print out your message along with your greeting card. This way, the card’s content is still personalized enough.
6. Add embellishments: If you want to have truly original greeting cards despite using free printable card templates, one sure-fire way to make your own card standout is by adding crafting embellishments to them. Examples of good embellishments for greeting cards are buttons, brads, beads, washi tape, lace, florettes, and even glitter. You may use all these materials in one go but just remember to not go overboard with them or you will risk ending up with a gaudy greeting card. As with anything else, keep in mind that less is more.
Study these design and printing tips and do not hesitate to apply them when it comes to creating your own greeting cards. Also, do not forget to enjoy the card-making process!
Greeting cards are categorized according to the occasion or event they are used in. Listed below are few types of greeting cards based on when they are used:
There is no standard size for printing greeting cards. When you purchase greeting card templates, they may be resized according to your preferred printing size.
In this article, most of the free greeting card templates are available in standard US paper sizes or they are printed on paper that measures 6 inches by 4 inches.
A greeting card template is a preset digital file that contains all the text, font, artwork, formatting, and image files needed to create a greeting card design. When a greeting card is made using Adobe Photoshop, the digital card template file is stored under a .PSD file name extension.
A greeting card is a general term used for any document (usually a small piece of paper) that is decorated with creative designs and contains a message of acknowledgment, gratitude, sympathy, love, and other sentiments. A birthday card is a type of greeting card that contains designs and messages of gratitude, sympathy, love, or greeting for a person who is celebrating his or her birthday.
The best time to send a greeting card is before the person’s birth date. This is assuming that you are sending the greeting card through snail mail and it will take time before the card arrives at its recipient’s address. When using digital communication tools and social media sites, sending greeting cards is best done on the person’s birthday.
Feel free to use any of the free greeting card templates that we have shared in this article. You may also use them as a base for creating a truly original greeting card. And for more premium and free card template examples, check out the rest of our website.